Caribbean, with kids, in January... Western or Eastern?

kwagmyre

Question is pretty much ^^^ topic, but here are details:

We loved our cruise on Liberty so much we pretty much want to go back to her, and only her. I know that sounds silly having sailed on only one ship, but a glimpse of reviews seems to show that she stirs similar affections even among many seasoned cruisers. Since that was a honeymoon, and wonderful in every aspect, this time around we would love to take the kids to show them all our favorite things. They will be 11, 12, and 14 at the time of sailing.

So our timeframe is pretty much January at this point, and trying to decide between Western or Easter itinerary. We did the Western the first time around.

Western pros:

- This itinerary seems to have much more "active" types of excursions than the eastern. I am afraid the kids would almost be bored on an eastern cruise.

- Ruins/Belize: A lot of people don't like Belize, but for it's a plus. There is just a TON of stuff to do there! When I was a kid, I had the oppo to go on a cruise and climb the ruins at Chichen Itza. You can't do that anymore in Mexico, everything is roped off now. Belize still permits this, but I feel it's only a matter of time, and would love to give my kids this experience while they still can.

- Roatan: Everybody's favorite port. We would probably snorkel Tabyana - I like the idea of not being limited to "water time" by a tour operator, and that we could get in an out as often as we pleased. Plus, I want to pick up some more of the excellent woodwork available on the island. And some "worry dolls" - didn't even know about these the first time I went. So cool. Perfect gifts.

- Cozumel: Not so sure what we would do here. For one, cost is a factor, and I'm thinking of limiting excursions to 2 ports out of 4 as part of that. Certainly, there is plenty of shopping here, so I'm thinking that. We didn't get one of the blankets last time we were there (miscommunication with the wife), and they are like 5 bucks. Plus so much stuff that the kids would like. Not big on AI's, seems kind of like a money drain to me.

- Seas: It is my understanding that the seas in the Western Caribeean are less rough than the Eastern. True? Seems like it would be, according to the maps.

- Familiarity: We've been to all these ports, and on this ship, so we know our way around. Less time wasted trying to get bearings, more comfortable with kids to look out for.

Western cons:

- Familiarity: The biggest con, probably, is that we've already been, and this would be an exact repeat of our honeymoon itinerary. So, no new ports for me and the wife (new for the kids, obviously). We like new places and experiences, so this is the minus part of it.

- Grand Cayman: So many people say Beliize is their least fav western port, but for us it was GC hands down. We snorkeled a shipwreck, that part was really cool, but I think it's a "one and done" kind of a thing, and literally nothing else on this island interests me. Shopping? Compared to the other ports here, I thought it stunk. Beaches? I grew up in south florida. yawn. And I was not that impressed with 7-mile beach (where we left for the shipwreck). Snorkeling? The cruise ships have killed all the reefs in the nearby vicinity, and the water tastes like motor oil. I have no love for GC. I would quite possibly stay on the boat.

Eastern pros:

- Newness: We have never been to any of these ports and, as above, we are always up for new experiences.

- Relaxation: I suppose this is the flip side of the "less active" types of excursions and more "beach days". I note that lots of people felt more relaxed after an eastern cruise.

- Beauty: It looks prettier in the pictures, to me. Pretty subjective, I know.

- Variety: For all my above about boredom, if the itin is HMC/Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk, then to me that reads like a beach port, a history port, a shopping port, and a snorkeling port, respectively. Although the shopping in St. Thomas sounds more commercialized, and as cool as the forts in San Juan are, that can't compare to Mayan Ruins in a jungle.

- Cost: This one's all about excursions: Going with the plan above, you really kind of need them on the western, especially in Belize. But on the eastern, I think that's really only true in Grand Turk (unless you like crowded beaches), especially if another port is HMC.

Eastern cons:

Pretty much the flip-side of the western pros, really. Rougher seas, more boring'er ports, oh, and this is a big one, VERY SHORT TIME IN PORTS. I figured this out when looking at the detailed itins, it seems like the ship has a lot more ground to cover, and so makes up for it with less time in most ports. I think this is something a lot of people don't consider when booking.

So, that's where my thoughts are at the moment. Right now I am leaning towards Western, even though it would be the exact same ship and itin as the only other one I have ever done.

Thoughts?

Oh, and how's the weather this time of year? I have heard that the water is kind of cold. That seems like another arrow in the chest of the eastern/beach-heavy route.

Rougher seas, more boring'er ports.

We've done both the Western and Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Liberty. While we had mostly calm seas on our eastbound cruise, it seems like we always hit some rough seas going westbound. We were tossed around pretty heavily on our last cruise aboard the Dream, as well another westbound cruise on the Imagination and our westbound Liberty cruise. In fact I made a video of me with huge crashing waves on the Liberty saying that I didn't think I had ever seen seas as rough as the ones we experienced.

I strongly disagree that the Eastern ports are more boring. No, you can't go to the Mayan ruins, but you can explore Old San Juan with it's 500+ years of Spanish history, castles (like San Felipe del Morro and San Cristobal), along with other places of interest outside of the city, like the El Yunque Rainforest.

I've done both the Mayan Ruins and Old San Juan, and I have to say I was more impressed with the fortresses/castles in San Juan than the ruins I've visited in Mexico and Centrla America (Altun Ha, Tulum, Chachobben). I haven't been to Chichen Itza but I do agree that they look more impressive.

Overall, our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Liberty is, to this day, one of the BEST cruises we've ever taken, not only on Carnival, but in our entire cruising history. I would be glad to do it again!

Oh, and how's the weather this time of year? I have heard that the water is kind of cold.

It shouldn't be an issue. The weather is blissful in the Caribbean during the winter months! In fact I would take a Caribbean cruise in January before any other time of year.

About the water: It is noticeably colder in January in ports at higher latitudes (like the Bahamas and Key West). Fortunately, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are farther south, so the water will be warm enough to go swimming and snorkeling.

I was more impressed with the fortresses/castles in San Juan than the ruins I've visited in Mexico and Centrla America (Altun Ha, Tulum, Chachobben).

I'm surprised to hear you say that about Chachobben. Was it not as big as it looks in the pics or something?

That would probably be my 2nd choice after Lamanai, but Carnival doesn't go to Lamanai, :mad: and the only way to get to Chachobben on Carnival AFAIK is via Costa Maya on the Dream. That, plus that it skips GC actually made it a very strong contender, until I discovered it wasn't getting the full "2.0" treatment and discussed that with the wife. (THAT was an amusing conversation, btw... :cool:)

Thanks for the detailed reply. I thought the waters were pretty rough on our western route as well, so the idea of the eastern being even worse was a definite factor, especially at that time of year, so it is interesting to hear you say that.

How old are your kids?

As far as your thoughts- I don't really think you need to do excursions on Western Carribean but then again I have never been to Roatan or Belize (have heard you should there). I have been to Jamaica twice, GC twice, and Cozumel once and never had preplanned excursions. We just got off the ship and found someone offering a tour at a decent price or found something to do.

In Cozumel- there is always Paradise beach, which is something like $2 pp, and its about $14 cab ride each way. Not bad at all. They have a pool and beach. We had a great time there. Also, there are a couple of other beach clubs.

Eastern- we have been once. Ours went to St. Martaan, St. Thomas and Nassau (ugh). We did a little shopping and Magen's beach in St. Thomas, but if I ever went back, I would skip the shopping (and I am all about souvenier shopping!). Beach is nice though. I think the beaches were beautiful in Eastern Carib. I do think it was a more laid back itinerary though and I would love to go to Grand Turk.

I would check out the port of call boards for some ideas on what to do in the different ports and see if it sounds like something your family is interested in.

As far as rough seas. I have been to Western twice (December and April) and Eastern (February) and really did not notice anything different on any of the itineraries. Perhaps if you are traveling during hurricane season it makes a difference but I didn't notice it. Of course I get sea sick easily so it could be just that I was already sea sick when I saw the boat (bonine works wonders).

We snorkeled at Trunk Bay in St. Johns which was an option for the St. Thomas stop. It was raining and the water was still very clear and there's a reef there. Loved it. I also love St. Maarten's but then I've never been there with young kids. One thing we did with our boys that we all loved (did in Grand Cayman and in St. Maarten) was the Sea Trek Helmet Dive. Very cool. Even paid the money for the expensive DVD. You wear a pressurized (somewhat) helmet so your hair stays dry, even can wear eye glasses) and walk along the sea floor about 15-20 feet under. You come face to face with the marine life. It's a little hard on anyone like me with ear/pressure problems but still worth it. You just have to stick your hand up inside the helmet, hold your nose and blow your ears out when the pressure gets too great.

That said, I do think the Western itinerary has more for kids, but I loved our Eastert cruise.

I'm surprised to hear you say that about Chachobben. Was it not as big as it looks in the pics or something?

We did Chachobben in 2008. Compared to other archaeological sites, it's discovery was fairly recent. (I believe they started digging in 1994). So there are still in the digging and unearthing stages. In fact, our tour guide spent some time explaining to us all the things that we couldn't see because they are still buried under dirt and trees (I heard the word "visualize" quite a few times during the tour).

The settlement is fairly small. The first pyramid (teocalli) you see when you first enter the park is actually fake (it was built on the opposite side of a real pyramid to show you what it "probably looked like"). After that, you walk to a ceremonial area with two smaller ruins on each side (once again, the tour guide pulled out a diagram and told us to "visualize" what hasn't been unearthed).

After that, you're taken to a clearing where the largest pyramid is located. Yes, it's big, but it's not Chichen Itza big (the tour guide made some statistical comparisons with other archaeological sites in Mexico). By the way, We were NOT allowed to climb the pyramid.

For a first time, the Ruins of Chachobben are a good option. They are fairly close to the port area and easy to explore. However, for someone who has been to more impressive Mayan Ruins, they may find them to be a bit dissapointing.

Since your kids are 11, 12, and 14, ask them what they'd like to do. They're old enough to make a decision. If everything is basically equal in terms of cost, etc., then allow them to be a part of the decision making process.

Just lay out the pros and cons, let them know what you might be able to do in each port, and then go from there. And majority rules. :)

Just my 2¢.

Since your kids are 11, 12, and 14, ask them what they'd like to do. They're old enough to make a decision. If everything is basically equal in terms of cost, etc., then allow them to be a part of the decision making process.

Just lay out the pros and cons, let them know what you might be able to do in each port, and then go from there. And majority rules. :)

Just my 2¢.

It's a good thought, but I am trying to make this a surprise Christmas present. My plan is to wrap their boarding passes and put them under the tree, them have them all open them at the same time. :D I have a feeling this will be a bigger moment for me and my wife than it will be for them, but who knows, they still surprise me sometimes.

In Cozumel- there is always Paradise beach, which is something like $2 pp, and its about $14 cab ride each way. Not bad at all. They have a pool and beach. We had a great time there. Also, there are a couple of other beach clubs.

Interesting, I will check that out, thanks.

Is this the kids first cruise?

or have they done the same route?

although you have done it on a honeymoon-- doing it with your kids will make it feel like its the first time.

I would pick the western side-- more kid friendly. more choices for them to chose from.

How many beach days can kids have in a week-

swimming with stings are a MUST.

You are looking at it from YOUR point -- you seen it-- want something new...

etc. etc- look at it from theirs and what do you come up with.

Since you liked the Liberty-- look at the Glory-- same ship design just called differnt names.

It's a good thought, but I am trying to make this a surprise Christmas present. My plan is to wrap their boarding passes and put them under the tree, them have them all open them at the same time. :D I have a feeling this will be a bigger moment for me and my wife than it will be for them, but who knows, they still surprise me sometimes.

Ah ok. :)

Then go Western! :p

We snorkeled at Trunk Bay in St. Johns which was an option for the St. Thomas stop.

Yeah, from my research so far, it seems like St. Johns stuff for that port is the way to go. That's probably what we'd be looking at if we went that route.

We did Chachobben in 2008. Compared to other archaeological sites, it's discovery was fairly recent. (I believe they started digging in 1994). So there are still in the digging and unearthing stages. In fact, our tour guide spent some time explaining to us all the things that we couldn't see because they are still buried under dirt and trees (I heard the word "visualize" quite a few times during the tour).

The settlement is fairly small. The first pyramid (teocalli) you see when you first enter the park is actually fake (it was built on the opposite side of a real pyramid to show you what it "probably looked like"). After that, you walk to a ceremonial area with two smaller ruins on each side (once again, the tour guide pulled out a diagram and told us to "visualize" what hasn't been unearthed).

After that, you're taken to a clearing where the largest pyramid is located. Yes, it's big, but it's not Chichen Itza big (the tour guide made some statistical comparisons with other archaeological sites in Mexico). By the way, We were NOT allowed to climb the pyramid.

For a first time, the Ruins of Chachobben are a good option. They are fairly close to the port area and easy to explore. However, for someone who has been to more impressive Mayan Ruins, they may find them to be a bit dissapointing.

Wow, thank you for this very useful information. "Visualize", lol. This is so contrary to what I've read about this site that it's now pretty much taken off my list. Especially the fake pyramid thing... as I hail originally from the land of papier mache dinosaurs (Florida), few things irritate me more when travelling than getting suckered into the inauthentic like this. It's officially off my list for now, at least until they get more done with it.

Archived