North cape explorer june 2012

On arrival at Newcastle at 12.00 after just 2 hours, we joined a small queue of cars to drop the cases off. Things moved quickly parked the car, had a short shuttle ride to the booking area where again there was only a small queue and we were on the ship just after 1.00. The first person we spotted was Dave.

In the cabin there was a letter about the drinks package £399 per person. There was a hard sell on the assorted drinks packages on the first day. Every time you got out of a lift a little man popped up waving a leaflet at you.

The sea was unbelievably calm and was all the way to FLAM. - Lovely little place where we berthed right in the center. Went on the boat trip,which would have been better if it hadn't been raining. Beautiful scenery but the boat was open and there was nowhere to sit when wet so we were stood up for just over an hour. We then went to the Stalheim Hotel for a coffee and pastry.

JULESSMILES - The tour guide noticed hubby had not got a pastry and when he explained why he went off to the kitchen and came back with a GF blueberry muffin. This would not happen at home. Back on the coach down the scarey road stopping to view the waterfalls on the way down, then spent an hour looking round Flam.

TIP - If you want to do the Railway independently go as soon as you are allowed off the ship. People who did this had no trouble getting on but others who went later found the trains were booked up.

MOLDE + ALDASNES - Did the Atlantic Road + Bud trip. Nothing to see really at Bud unless you wanted to scramble up the steep cliffs. Beautiful scenery along the Atlantic Road.

The next day was at sea crossing the Arctic Circle. The sea was still unbelievably calm and the weather good.

Wasn't very keen on TROMSO.- There was a shuttle bus from the ship. Didn't get to the Arctic Cathedral, which I would have liked to have seen but we went off in opposite direction. Visited the Polar Museum which was very gruesome with exhibits about the old trappers etc. we then spotted the Polaria Center and went there. Some people off the ship went on the Wilderness Center + Polaria trip and were very disappointed. They were upset with the conditions of the Huskies and it was nothing like the trip was described.

HONNISVAG - This was the best call of all. Docked in the center again. Set off to the Cape in convoy. Called at a 'Sami' village on the way. There were a couple of things to see here and the good old souvenir shop. Someone said the Sami behind the till had a lovely Cambridgeshire accent.

Then onto the Cape. The weather could not have been better, warm with clear skies. Fantastic views and you felt as if you were on top of the world.

Inside the building we found an area dedicated to the Arctic Wartime Convoys to Murmansk with a thank you plaque to all those involved. This was quite emotional for me as my father was on a destroyer on the convoys. Back down the winding road to the ship. Honnisvag itself looked good but a very big cruise ship was also in so it was very busy and I was shattered.

That night midnight sun party on deck.

Had 2 days at sea and back over the Arctic Circle. A bit sad.

HELLESYLT + GERAINGER - Along with the Cape this was my favourite place. We stopped at Hellesylt to drop the people off who were going on a tour then we carried on down the Fjord to Gerainger passing by all the beautiful waterfalls. Seeing the sights so close up on a cruise ship was amazing. Tendered off into the lovely village surrounded by mountains and waterfalls.

We should have been sailing from here at 6.00 but the Captain announced as the seas were rough round our next stop and we would be waiting to dock, for our comfort we would not be leaving until later. We were sure this was really because he was enjoying his fishing off the side off the ship:)Sailed back down the Fjord at about 11.00 pm in daylight.

ALESUND - bit disappointed here. Had a walk round and wanted to go on the little train but as there was also another ship in there were huge queues and a lot of the times were booked. So we headed back to the ship where there was a tourist person giving out leaflets. There was a sign for a shuttle bus to the Aquarium but even though there were 2 cruise ships in there was no bus as they hadn't got any drivers to work.:( So we went to the bus station and this must have been the only place in the whole of Norway where there was no English signs and no one spoke English. So we gave up and went back to the ship.

BERGEN - Can't comment here as hubby was not well so we didn't leave the ship.

We heard later that a few people had their purses stolen while ashore and a well dressed woman had tried stealing our friends handbag, luckily she saw her. Was very surprised about this.

Last 2 days at sea and back to Newcastle:(. Had to be off by 8.15, got the shuttle to the car park where our cases were waiting. Back home by 10.30.

THE SPIRIT - is showing it's age but noticed there has been new carpets in some of the public areas and some new chairs. Lots of the old comfy chairs in Horizons have been replaced by not as comfy new ones.

THE ENTERTAINMENT - was ok. The group the Beats were not very good (polite way of putting it) and we avoided them if we could. The New Dimensions in Horizons were very good. Didn't like the pianist in Raffles, he could play but was not very good at singing. Really enjoyed the comedian Dave Kristian. Didn't go to Gordon Banks but those who did said he was

very good.

Richard Grey is the CD and is very good. He was ACD last year with CD Ray Bauer. He is now in charge of the entertainment on all the ships. What a job.

Thomson do seem to be economising in some areas, food was not as good as last year BUT no complaints. You could pay an extra £9.95 for a steak.

Service and friendliness brilliant as usual.

We got stuck in the lift 3 times. After the third time of getting stuck and having to report it on the lift phone and my hubby getting us out before anyone came to help he went down to reception to report it. Next day when we went back to the cabin there was a bottle of champers ,a plate of chocolate strawberries and a letter of apology. The lift had then been stopped from going up to deck 9.

If you are going on the Spirit look out for Diana. She is in Broadway and sometimes Horizons and Raffles. When she speaks you will know its her. She was hilarious copying peoples accents and is fluent in Geordie, Scottish and Yorkshire.

Phew sorry this is so long but I have to say this was the most amazing, relaxing and restful cruise I have ever been on. The calm seas, beautiful scenery, amazing sunsets and great company were just great. Sitting in Horizons at 1.00 in the morning with drink in hand in daylight watching the sun go down was heaven. It was so weird 24 hours daylight.:D

Even though we loved this cruise I don't think we would do it again cos it was perfect with the sea conditions and the weather and it probably wouldn't be like that again.

Sounds brilliant wa Ray on the ship on this cruise, think he mentioned something on facebook, he'll want to be land based now they are starting their family, he anounced that their first baby is due in jan

i saw a pic of lee doing zumba late at night in the daylight

So pleased you enjoyed it Scarey Mary. I really enjoyed reading your review - it brought back some great memories! :)

Thanks thouroughly enjoyed it. Had to condense the review down a lot cos I could just go on and on about it:D

Sounds brilliant wa Ray on the ship on this cruise, think he mentioned something on facebook, he'll want to be land based now they are starting their family, he anounced that their first baby is due in jan

i saw a pic of lee doing zumba late at night in the daylight

Yes Ray was on with us he told me about his new job. We met him last year on the Spirit when he was CD. What a job just being able to go on any cruise to check on the entertainment.

Yes Lee did a Zumba classs on deck at night think it was just before the midnight sun deck party.

Just to add to what Scarey Mary has said, we did the Thomson tour in Tromso which we thought was very good. Full tour of the city (with english guide who was now living in Tromso) including return trip on the cable car, entrance to the Arctic Cathederal and the Polar museum (with film show of Northern Lights).

In Alesund we did the organised walking tour around the art deco buildings. Again, very good guide and a comprehensive tour.

Got off the ship twice in Bergen. Morning to look around and afternoon to go up the funicular. No problems encountered on either visit.

Malc.

Hi Mary,Good review thanks,just 3 weeks for us now.Did it rain in Bergen?,has done both times Iv been there,yet go outside the city and it stops.Thats good news about Ray and Teresa,will look forward to meeting Richard again. I think Norway is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been too,even on my second trip it took my breath away. quick question,did you happen to notice if they have de-caf tea in the lido?

• 2 weeks later...
did you happen to notice if they have de-caf tea in the lido?

I did, and they do -I'm not allowed Caffeine :( so this was important to me as well.

Have to agree with most of what Mary said as well, this was all but an unreapeatable cruise, I can't ever see those perfect conditions ever coming together again - A fantastic holiday.

Mind you I've not been on here for a few weeks so still need to do a review myself. The delay is because my beloved wife picked up a dose of whooping cough on the cruise (she's never been vaccinated) and it was really bad. She's stilll barking away now ;)

Apparently the vaacine wears off after 10 or so years and if you haven't had a booster you can get it as well (though not as bad). Guess what, I've never had a booster, and yes I ended up with it as well.:mad:

Having said that - still a brilliant cruise and it's going to be hard to beat it despite the illness (which only became serious after we had got back) and we are well on the road to recovery now.

I did, and they do -I'm not allowed Caffeine :( so this was important to me as well.

Have to agree with most of what Mary said as well, this was all but an unreapeatable cruise, I can't ever see those perfect conditions ever coming together again - A fantastic holiday.

Mind you I've not been on here for a few weeks so still need to do a review myself. The delay is because my beloved wife picked up a dose of whooping cough on the cruise (she's never been vaccinated) and it was really bad. She's stilll barking away now ;)

Apparently the vaacine wears off after 10 or so years and if you haven't had a booster you can get it as well (though not as bad). Guess what, I've never had a booster, and yes I ended up with it as well.:mad:

Having said that - still a brilliant cruise and it's going to be hard to beat it despite the illness (which only became serious after we had got back) and we are well on the road to recovery now.

Hi Kev, (and recovering from whooping cough you have every reason to be grumpy!) So sorry to hear you and your wife have been so poorly - whooping cough is a really nasty illness. I hope you both continue to make a good and speedy recovery. But great to hear you had such a good time. It really is an awesome itinerary - truly awesome! Time to think about booking another cruise to fully recover from your health problems methinks! ;)

Archived