New passenger terminal in Charleston?

CB42

Anyone know of any news on the proposed $39 million new passenger terminal in Charleston SC? The last I heard was a Judge was to make a judgement on it earlier this month. Sure wish it would get built so that it might bring a bigger cruise ship to Charleston.

Judge has taken the matter under advisement and has not set a time when he will render his opinion. Sadly, should he dismiss the lawsuit, there will be another filed.

We used to live in Charleston, though not in the historic area. Many years ago the fight was over carriages going through the historic area. Those behind the lawsuits won't be happy until only locals can enjoy the city.

Charleston is still fighting it. It is back in court again. I love going out of Charleston. I wish the ship would go to other places than the Bahamas.

For clarity, Charleston, the city government wants it, preservationist in Charleston don't want it.

For clarity, Charleston, the city government wants it, preservationist in Charleston don't want it.

Great battle going on. Preservationist claim ship is a hotel and the funnel is a sign...so no ship should be allowed.

i wish those crazies would walk off a short bridge.. i would love to sail from charelston just the current ship doesnt interest me.. the ship does no harm to the city or pier.. plus they bring in millions

Charleston is blessed with a very deep harbor and has always been a port town. Commercial frighters, etc. continue to be of great importance for the economy and they don't dock in the center of town and cause road traffic congestion.

Having a the new location for the cruise ship terimal would be helpful. Still, there is a big need for new roads to get cruisers into and out of the city. Right now, traffic is horrid on days when a ship is in port. The harbor can handle really big ship ... the roads into and out can't.

We LOVE to cruise and would very much enjoy having having a new port where nice large cruise ships from many cruises lines could be. On the other hand we are navite South Carolinians and would be sad to see Charleston turn into a cruise ship port/port stop with all of the T-Shirt shops, etc. We've had to give up almost all of our coast for much needed tourism. Maybe, it's just not worth it to give up Charleston too.

Think many of you can understand both sides.

Mixed feeling of the issue from us. :confused:

Anyone know of any news on the proposed $39 million new passenger terminal in Charleston SC? The last I heard was a Judge was to make a judgement on it earlier this month. Sure wish it would get built so that it might bring a bigger cruise ship to Charleston.

You live in Rockwell? I grew up in Granite Quarry. Small world. I too believe it would be great if Charleston would expand and offer more cruises. Heck....it would even better if Wilmington could / would do something to bring cruises out of NC !

I agree with you SE NC. Although I do love Charleston and love cruising from there, if they are making such a fuss over cruises leaving from their historical city, forget about them and just go a little further north--Wilmington or Norfolk. I would just love having a ship available year round from one of those two places.

I always LOVE when people that don't live in Charleston, from these boards, who have NO CLUE what is really happening here, chime in with.

"if THEY don't want the ship, move it ______".

The city government LOVES Carnival and the cruise ship industry.

A vast majority of people living in the city and surrounding suburbs support the cruise industry and the jobs and business it boosts in the area.

It is LITERALLY and handful of rich, whack jobs who live in the historic district east of the pier who are fighting this and the deepest pockets opposing the cruise ships and new terminal are developers, who do not like the fact that the city is going to build the new terminal and the redevelop the surrounding parcels on the waterfront into parks and walking areas for people. (right now the area in dispute is container depots and cranes. So lovely for the preservationists to look at now.)

The developers want to squelch the new terminal and future cruise ship buisiness, so they can get their hands on that valuable waterfront property and build more condos they can sell for millions.

Sadly the severe minority opposing the cruiselines are the people with the deepest pockets who can afford to finance and endless stream of ridiculous lawsuits.

Hopefully some sensible judges will see through the oppositions ridiculous assertions and squelch this nonsense once and for all, so the city can proceed with their beautiful, state of the art terminal and the beautiful parks and walkways into the city proper, that the city wants to build.

Bill

I always LOVE when people that don't live in Charleston, from these boards, who have NO CLUE what is really happening here, chime in with.

A vast majority of people living in the city and surrounding suburbs support the cruise industry and the jobs and business it boosts in the area.

It is LITERALLY and handful of rich, whack jobs who live in the historic district east of the pier who are fighting this and the deepest pockets opposing the cruise ships and new terminal are developers, who do not like the fact that the city is going to build the new terminal and the redevelop the surrounding parcels on the waterfront into parks and walking areas for people. (right now the area in dispute is container depots and cranes. So lovely for the preservationists to look at now.)

The developers want to squelch the new terminal and future cruise ship buisiness, so they can get their hands on that valuable waterfront property and build more condos they can sell for millions.

Sadly the severe minority opposing the cruiselines are the people with the deepest pockets who can afford to finance and endless stream of ridiculous lawsuits.

Hopefully some sensible judges will see through the oppositions ridiculous assertions and squelch this nonsense once and for all, so the city can proceed with their beautiful, state of the art terminal and the beautiful parks and walkways into the city proper, that the city wants to build.

Bill

Correct, and beautifully said.

Bill

Exactly!!!!! :D

Correct, and beautifully said.

I've seen the area the new terminal will occupy, and right now its awful. I can't imagine a new terminal wouldn't be anything but an improvement. Yes, the traffic is and will be the main problem, but there working on many roads around Charleston. Such a lovely city! Can't wait to see it at Christmas.

Bill

Would like to add, most of those opposing are not even true Charlestonians - many are transplants!

SE NC, Yes we live in the big city of Rockwell. It is a small world. I just hate driving between 8 and 11 hours to get a ship with a balcony (not a suite) and a bigger selection of destinations. Wilmington would work for me. I agree with Dulcimergirl, The area would look a lot better with a new terminal there than what it looks like now!! Happy crusin to you all

Charleston would be very convenient for us to cruise out of but so far never cared for the itineraries.

would be nice if a new terminal drew bigger ships and longer and better itineraries.

I agree, an easy drive from Northern VA

My only advise to Charleston is to make sure they have a cruise line (or more than one) locked in a solid long term contract before spending almost 40 million dollars.

Several cities like Houston are sitting on brand new (never been used) cruise terminals with no prospects in sight.

Bill

I'm from SC, as well, and this is spot on!! It's much like the Savannah deep pockets. Charleston is run by a hand full of wealthy old men who think they have the final say in what does or does not happen there. The people of SC want this! Hope the judges aren't bought and paid for this time!

Archived