Question for Budget Queen (Juneau)

sbb

Hi,

I thought that I read one of your posts regarding whale watching in Juneau. Do you prefer Orca over Harv and Marv's? If so, why? I'm looking for opinions from people who have done both. Thanks!

Sharon

I have gone with Orca Enterprises over the last 13 years, consistantly excellent tours. I have no desire to ever go with anyone else. :)

Are these tours now non-smoking for both passengers and operators? I know a few years ago there were quite a few complaints posted on CC that the operators of Orca were smoking on the tour and many were uncomfortable with that. I haven't read anything about this lately, but still curious.

Are these tours now non-smoking for both passengers and operators? I know a few years ago there were quite a few complaints posted on CC that the operators of Orca were smoking on the tour and many were uncomfortable with that. I haven't read anything about this lately, but still curious.

There hasn't been smoking by crew for several years, during tours. Don't know about the passengers, Im busy whale watching.

I'm looking for opinions from people who have done both.

Very few posters on the forum have done both, but there are some. There are TONS of threads though about both companies so it is easy to find out the differences.

Do you want a smaller boat (H&M) or a larger one (Orca)? Naturalist (Orca) or just a captain who acts as the "tour guide" (H&M)? Half an hour longer tour (H&M) or not (Orca)? Have you compared prices including the drop at Mendenhall ("free" with H&M, +-$16/person with Orca)? Wheelchair-friendly boat (Orca) or doesn't that matter (H&M)?

Either way you will have a great time, though I am definitely partial to Harv & Marvs.

I have gone with Orca Enterprises over the last 13 years, consistantly excellent tours. I have no desire to ever go with anyone else. :)

We have gone with Orca twice and likewise would never consider a different provider. You can arrange for them to drop you off at Mendenhall and then catch the bus back to town. Saves a lot of time and the cost is the same as the shuttle.

Their boat is specifically built for whale watching and affords everyone an opportunity to see in all directions.

Captain Larry is a Nam vet and a great guy.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We loved whale watching with Harv and Marv, the small 6 passenger boat was a huge draw for us (no desire to go on a larger whale watch boat), they have great binoculars on board for use (better than ours, and we had really good ones!:D), and the personalized one-on-one conversations and discussions with the captains is a plus. We've only ever had Capt. Marv (Jay is his real name), and he is fantastic! So knowledgeable and personable, and a Juneau native with many, many years experience. He and his family live on Shelter Island, off the grid w/no electricity and a boat ride to work every day! What a life! We've met some of the other captains, including Jay's daughter, Jayleen, who is a fantastic photographer in her own right.

I'm sure Orca provides a great whale watch excursion as well, and if H&M is not available when I am next in Juneau, I'd happily book with them. Frugal very eloquently described the differences between the 2 providers, so you can decide for yourself which appeals more. But for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it;) - I'll stick w/Harv and Marv for all of the above stated reasons.

Archived