Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

alfaeric, you are correct. And I do apologize. In rereading that, I realize that while I typed it in haste, I did not give consideration to how it looked. My intention was to demonstrate a little surprise that you do "love" the MDR food in close comparison to the fine dining you have done. Honestly, the juxtaposition of these two statements read like a bit of an exaggeration. However, you are correct- you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. And while I do not share it, I do respect it. I do hope you accept my apology for this statement.

I am new to this board and I am looking forward to my first cruise in two weeks. Therefore, I have no experience or opinion to share on this topic BUT I do appreciate forum members who are thoughtful and willing to take the opinions and comments of others into consideration, even if it means re-examining their own posts and offering apologies when appropriate. This seems to be a quality sorely missing from most sites on the web. I look forward to participating here when I have some experiences I can relate!

Great news. I wonder when this menu makes to a Galveston ship. I'd like better options for MDR lunch too -- just don't get rid of the Tutti Salad. There is a drought in much of the USA right now. Beef prices are expected to fall as cattle are slaughtered early, then later rise when there is a shortage. I wonder how this will affect ships and their menus, at least those with USA departures?

No flame. You have your opinion and I have mine. I have to agree with this poster that I love the MDR food as well. I really don't understand the complaints I hear from people. It's certainly no where near "mid-level banquet quality". I've never been disappointed with a meal onboard. I can only imagine that the complainers eat nothing but 5 star cuisine at home. I guess if that's what you have to compare it to, then yeah, it would be substandard.

I guess what changed my attitude about the food in the MDR was two cruises that we took on Celebrity. The food was so much better and then we came back to Royal and really noticed a big difference. Here we have the same factors involved: mass market cruise ship feeding lots of people at the same time and by the same company (at the highest level). It was obvious that Celebrity had started with much higher quality meat to start and then the preparation seem much more upscale. One example: rack of lamb.

That's a pretty pathetic statement, if I might say.

I've eaten at some of the world's best restaurants, personally know some of the best chefs in our area, like to think we are foodies who adore wine, and still love MDR food.

If you want to be a snob, and pretend that you are above the MDR, fine. You obviously wont be alone. But I certainly won't.

We are looking forward to the changes, as long as they keep the menu items that we like reasonably close.

Not a snob, just a lover of fine food.

Being in Los Angeles and spend allot of time in Las Vegas and New York City, I know what good food is.

Please don't take it pesonal, I Did nor insult your cooking.

Have you ever sailed on Seabourn or Raddision, that's what good food is all about.

Not a snob, just a lover of fine food.

Being in Los Angeles and spend allot of time in Las Vegas and New York City, I know what good food is.

Please don't take it pesonal, I Did nor insult your cooking.

Have you ever sailed on Seabourn or Raddision, that's what good food is all about.

You couldn't just let it end? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really? You "Love the MDR food"?

Sorry, it's not being a snob, it's calling a spade a spade. MDR food is mass produced, mid-level banquet quality food at best. Sure there are some "diamond in the rough", their soups and breads in particular. But I too am someone who doesn't bother to eat in the MDR much anymore because it's really not worth it.

Most troubling however is that you feel the need to viciously react to someone sharing their opinion.

It is my opinion that the food in the MDR is mediocre at best, usually served less than hot, and for the most part is utterly unremarkable.

Are you now going to flame me too?

Thanks for sticking up for me

This....would...rock!!! And I'll agree with one of the other comments, regarding how this might change our plans for how many nights we'd plan on eating/not eating in the MDR (vs specialty) on our January Allure cruise. I'm thinking we'll probably still do 3 nights of specialty, but now if this comes to fruition then definitely plenty of nights in the MDR. And the nice thing is, if the OP is correct, for the Allure verification of the new menu will come right about the time that reservations will become available for booking for our cruise. Sweet!!! :D

You couldn't just let it end? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When somebody insults your opion, I'm suppose to take it, without a response.

I probably spend more on food and wine in a year, then he probably makes in a year

So has anyone seen any OFFICIAL announcement about this?

If they had, I suspect they would have posted by now. Until something official is announced or they actually trot it out on one or more of their ships as a trial run of sorts, we can only speculate. If the published schedule is correct, however, we needn't wait very long to find out if it is true and accurate.:)

I probably spend more on food and wine in a year, then he probably makes in a year

That's a little presumptious, don't you think? For all you know the poster is Warren Buffett and just can't get enough of that vidalia onion tart!:)

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Bon Appetite Everyone!

WOW!!

I hope is true. For those of us who travel several times a year with

Royal Caribbean, the menu does get old quick. I'm so looking forward to these

changes. So happy to see Baked Alaska on the menu. Hopefully we will enjoy this new menus this coming December on our next cruise.

I wonder if we will all pay for these changes on future cruise prices???

That's a little presumptious, don't you think? For all you know the poster is Warren Buffett and just can't get enough of that vidalia onion tart!:)

Not quite at Buffett's level, just a middle class man rich in family and friends. :cool: Luckily though, I don't feel a need to 'prove' my taste by wasting money! :D

Wow. I actually defended you....

It's like you have an instruction booklet on how to come across unfavorably, and your going through it page by page...

I think it was pointed at me, don't worry about it :p

I sure wish that they had those menu enhancements on our recent trip on the Allure. The MDR was the lowlight of the whole week.

On our next trip we were planning to 'eat out' every night. May have to revisit that decision if they can improve things.

Yes, for sure that's not a snobbish statement at all. Hope it makes you feel better about yourself.:eek:

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Bon Appetite Everyone!

About 3 month ago I got this from a RCCL employee also a good source, which confirms your source

Apparently they are spending a load of money upgrading their food, it was a major complaint by passengers.

I did not have a release date

Archived