Johnny Rockets and Vinegar

They are similar, our are thicker and chunkier - fries tend to be skinney wee things

see below photo in link - thick cut chips that's how we make our chips in the UK

http://twelve-restaurant.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/gourmet-chips-at-twelve.html

If ever in the UK get a chip buttie - its a must :)

We would probably call those steak fries. Those skinny fries you're talking about are fast food fries...McDonalds, BK, and the like. At least in Rhode Island, the chips in our Fish and Chips are somewhere between steak fries and the fast food crap in size. I guess I know what's for dinner tonight.:D

Grew up in Canada, have always had vinegar, started w/ malt but now use any kind. There was also a thin like gravy that had a slight barbeque flavor, very slight, but was good too.

Last cruise @ the burger place, it seemed like almost everyone was using mayo, hadn't seen that before.

We went to JR on the Explorer and they did have malt vinegar but I asked for it and it was delivered w/ a smile!

As a Canadian, with a spouse who must have vinegar (white is preferred, malt is ok, wine vinegar is tolerated in a pinch) on his fries, I have learned to collect vinegar packets from local fast food restaurants and bring them on our US road trips-I will now pack a few for our med cruise in September on Splendour. Now if I could only find packets of HP Sauce!

You people are killing me! Off I go for some fish & chips :D

Same here! Dying for some fish & chips now!

It depends on where we are on what we eat with our fries. Vinegar in a bar or when eating with fish. Ketchup with fastfood. Ranch with everything else. But I have to say.. A1 is excellent on fries. Ooh, and a baked potato or mac & cheese! And ranch is good on pizza. Wow, I'm getting hungry. lol

The first thing they do at Johnny Rockets is to make a face with the ketchup on a plate. I guess they figure most of us use ketchup on the fries and onion rings. As for the fries, I really like cream gravy with them. That is really yummy to me. But, alas, no cream gravy at JRs. I think you can get chili-cheese fries (included with the standard $4.95 upcharge) -- or just order chili and dip your fries in it. I think the buffet might have malt vinegar, but I have not seen it at JRs. I actually like ranch dressing with my onion rings, but I have not asked for that at JRs.

The fries at the buffet on the Mariner OTS have been really good. (And no extra charge like JRs.) I'll have to try some malt vinegar on them.

We would probably call those steak fries. Those skinny fries you're talking about are fast food fries...McDonalds, BK, and the like. At least in Rhode Island, the chips in our Fish and Chips are somewhere between steak fries and the fast food crap in size. I guess I know what's for dinner tonight.:D

LOL Gregg, yep, I agree. Fat fries are still fries. ;) I found the "chips" in the UK, and the "fries" here in the states are about the same. Actually, fries are different in size, depending on who makes them.

Yay, for Ye Olde Fish and Chips. :)

It's probably not widely popular, but many people absolutely LOVE the Chick-Fil-A Sauce on their fries. This sauce is now available nation-wide, but was actually invented in one of the local franchises in my home town. Took them several years to figure out how to convert it to a large-scale recipe. It's sort of a cross between BBQ and a sweet mustard type sauce.

Very addicting... I usually grab a few extra packs when I'm there, and use it on my other chicken meals at home!

Theron

To me it tastes like honey mustard....

As far as malt vinegar,there are several bottles in the WJ.....along with the other condiments..........I got turned onto malt vinegar on my fries in Vancouver..

Love this topic :)

I have only eaten at JRs a few times but never bothered even asking for vinegar.

Back when I was a teen, my first part-time job was working in a fish and chip restaurant. It was there that I learned to love malt vinegar on fries.

I still remember how we prepared our fries...hand cut and fried twice - nice and crispy. Perfect for malt vinegar :)

They are similar, our are thicker and chunkier - fries tend to be skinney wee things

see below photo in link - thick cut chips that's how we make our chips in the UK

http://twelve-restaurant.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/gourmet-chips-at-twelve.html

If ever in the UK get a chip buttie - its a must :)

Thanks for including the link, very interesting. Very labor intensive cooking them 3 times.

I agree with a previous poster that the skinny fries here are often in the fast food restaurants, most restaurants serve a medium cut fry and some the larger steak fries.

I would imagine the fast food restaurants use the skinny fries because they cook up ... well, fast!

Archived