Hyatt Place 17th Ave. shuttle or taxi?

airwick

Would it be cheaper and/or easier to take a taxi to port? Or should we book the hotel shuttle for $7 a person? We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids.

This is the Hyatt place by the convention center; close to the embassy suites.

A taxi is going to run you $10 to $12....I would go with the taxi idea.

I would normally agree with all of you with the taxi, but this is a family of 5 with a ton of luggage. You would need two taxi's. We paid $14 plus $3 tip in March from Embassy Suites on 17th St.

It would be $14..plus $3 tip X two taxi's= $34

Shuttle $7X5people = $35

Not much difference here.:o Unless the cab driver allows you all to squeeze in one cab...but how much luggage do you have?

4 large suitcase, 4 carryon size bags, and 2 or 3 back packs. 1 of my kids is 3 yrs old, so I guess he could sit on a lap for the short ride.

Do we need to tip the shuttle guy too? That makes the shuttle alittle more to. Can we call a cab company to request a larger car?

Might be easier to shuttle it, but we might have to wait for available shuttle times, rather than get to the port when we want...

Just not sure, but I cruise on Saturday, so I better figure it out soon! :o)

Most of FLL taxis are Ford Crown Victoria sized cars with mammoth trunks but failing that there are also mini-vans and SUV cabs for the same price. If you go to the pier between 10 and 11 am you may run into lines at security which will drive up your fare but if you wait until sometime after 11:30 our experience is that you will breeze right thru.

The big advantage of a taxi is you just hop in whenever you are ready. With a shuttle you have to go on their schedule. If they are late, you have to wait for them. You may need to wait for other passengers with their luggage and you may have stops at other other hotels and other cruisline piers, then wait for those passengers to load and unload.

Since taxis are so cheap in downtown FLL, I would take a taxi even if I had a free shuttle.

4 large suitcase, 4 carryon size bags, and 2 or 3 back packs. 1 of my kids is 3 yrs old, so I guess he could sit on a lap for the short ride.

Do we need to tip the shuttle guy too? That makes the shuttle alittle more to. Can we call a cab company to request a larger car?

Might be easier to shuttle it, but we might have to wait for available shuttle times, rather than get to the port when we want...

Just not sure, but I cruise on Saturday, so I better figure it out soon! :o)

Which ever you decide....all of the shuttles are lined up for you to jump into when you exit the front doors of the airport.

The taxi stand....turn left out the front doors. You will see an over head sign "Taxi's"...just go to that podium...and they will take care of you. I would think with all that luggage, you DEFINITELY need two of them. Hubby and I barely fit our 2 large and 2 carry ons in the trunk. I think you would have been fine with all the kids sitting on your laps, but as I said, you will never fit all that luggage in the back.

Oh...and yes, you do need to tip the shuttle guy.

Archived