NOLA Hilton Riverfront

mitsugirly

Can anyone give a report on staying here?

When we were in NOLA last September, I remember seeing this place, so I know it's in a good location (for walking distance to anywhere we would want to go).

I've read that it cost for wifi here? However, there is a place (coffee place??) that you can get free wifi there. Do you have to order something from there in order to get the wifi? Or can any hotel customer go in just to use the wifi?

I also seen on the Hilton website that there are several different restaurants within the hotel. Are they all expensive as Dragos? Dragos looks like a nice place and I have read others post that it's a wonderful place to eat, however, I'm not trying to spend $20+ pp to eat there prior to a cruise that is already expensive enough. We try to eat on the cheaper side precruise to save for things we like to do while on the cruise in the ports and on the ship. Can anyone give me any price ranges that some of the other restaurants might be? Any restaurants that are more "simple" with maybe some burgers and fries? (The other restaurants did not have a menu or price list on Hilton's site).

Can anyone tell me about the breakfast there? Is there a breakfast buffet? Or is it a menu order only? Pricing?

Or...is there a better option within walking distance from the hotel to go for a meal?

Also, we will only be booking this hotel using the LMT site (to get it for a cheaper price) so I'm wondering when you use this site (which we never have) do THEY (LMT) pick out your room and building location? I assume since you are getting the dirt cheap pricing, you probably get the hotel that everyone complains about being by the railroad tracks right? :confused:

Does anyone know if you can see the cruise ships in port from this hotel?

Any other tips and advice is appreciated.

Nothings says you HAVE to eat in the Hilton - there are tons of restaurants nearby and the Riverwalk food court has a decent selection of food as well.

Mother's is not too far up on Poydras

Prior to our Elation cruise, my fiancee's sister HAD to go to Popeye's Chicken which is about 3/4 of a mile away on Canal

But you have to at least try the char-grilled oysters at Drago's!

Nothings says you HAVE to eat in the Hilton - there are tons of restaurants nearby and the Riverwalk food court has a decent selection of food as well.

Mother's is not too far up on Poydras

Prior to our Elation cruise, my fiancee's sister HAD to go to Popeye's Chicken which is about 3/4 of a mile away on Canal

But you have to at least try the char-grilled oysters at Drago's!

My only concern is that we will be arriving later in the day. Our flight comes in a little after 7pm. So I was thinking by the time we gathered luggage and caught a taxi to the hotel, got checked in and so on, it would probably be around 9 or so before we were ready to head out to eat dinner. We will have our 4 year old with us. So, we really didn't want to go far to find a place to eat if it's dark out. (Not because she couldn't walk it because we were there last September and walked everywhere around here all the way to Cafe Du Monde). I also don't know how late the places are open there to get something to eat.

Great place to stay, Gumbo Shop by Jackson Square is also a great place to eat. You cannot beat Drago's food (I am a local), but there are a lot of cheaper places close by. Suggestion, food in the food court at the riverwalk is expensive, but generally large portions can be enough for two.

Great place to stay, Gumbo Shop by Jackson Square is also a great place to eat. You cannot beat Drago's food (I am a local), but there are a lot of cheaper places close by. Suggestion, food in the food court at the riverwalk is expensive, but generally large portions can be enough for two.

Thanks for the advice.

As a local...what do you think about Wyndham Riverfront right in front of the cruise ship port? It looks like a nice place to stay, but there are mixed reviews. I'm not a real picky person (provided it is a decent, clean, bug free hotel).

Also what about Springhill Suites? Is there anything in that area, within walking distance at night, to get a bite to eat fairly cheap? I don't care if it's a McDonalds, just as long as it's not going to cost $15 a person per meal. :p

• 2 weeks later...

We have never been to NOLA before, but we are booked at the Springhill Suites and are hoping for the best :)

Walking distance to the Riverwalk Mall and streetcar stop is one of the reasons we booked it, also the free breakfast and microwave/refrigerator is a plus for our family (traveling with 3 kiddos).

I would LOVE to know if there are inexpensive fast food type places around that we could walk to. I did fine Pie Pizza that is close enough to walk to and has good reviews, plus you can get a Restaurant.com certificate to use there and make the price more affordable for a family. We will be there 2 days prior to the cruise.

Michelle

We have never been to NOLA before, but we are booked at the Springhill Suites and are hoping for the best :)

Walking distance to the Riverwalk Mall and streetcar stop is one of the reasons we booked it, also the free breakfast and microwave/refrigerator is a plus for our family (traveling with 3 kiddos).

I would LOVE to know if there are inexpensive fast food type places around that we could walk to. I did fine Pie Pizza that is close enough to walk to and has good reviews, plus you can get a Restaurant.com certificate to use there and make the price more affordable for a family. We will be there 2 days prior to the cruise.

Michelle

Mothers on Poydras is reasonable and within walking distance. On Canal Street, there is a Popeye's fried chicken place - those are the only fast food type places we ate at while were there and we stayed at the Residence Inn on Joseph St just a few blocks from where you will be.

Of course, we ate a lot of very good, but somewhat pricey restaurants around there, too - Couchon's and A Mano's......

Michelle

When you come back, can you make sure you give a report on Springhill and how far it was walking distance to anything cheap to eat at there? We will be there in December.

Archived