Pacific Pearl - questions

bns01

Hey guys, I'm new to this and a new time cruiser (I wrote this somewhere else but not sure where it got posted so apoligies if im repeating myself haha!) anyway I was hoping to ask a few questions to those who have been on the pacific pearl. I am going to pacific islands in October for 9 nights with my partner and was wondering if you guys could help me with the following.

We got an outside balcony room on deck 11 has anyone ever stayed on deck 11? if so what is it like? i know its the same level as the childrens play center but we are at the complete opposite end to it, the very last room actually, but not really worried about that.. more that we are at the front of the ship so would that mean it will be more noisey? not being fussy at all, just curious.

Also, what sea sickness medication would you recommend to get? my partner is prone to sea sickness so I was wanting to get one that wouldnt be drousy for him and I guess the one with the least amount of side effects?

What is the pearl like aswell? I've heard alot of good stories about her so am excited to finally sail away!! would love to hear your experiences with the pearl :)

I had alot of questions, but seems now I have the chance to ask them I've forgotten them! (typical) looking forward to hearing from you and if anyone else is cruising on the pacific pearl P234 Island delights in October let me know! am very excited:D

A cabin near the bow of the ship won't be noisy from either other passengers or engine noise. Cabins near the stern can sometimes have engine noise or vibration. However, with a cabin near the bow you will experience more movement in rough seas.

I strongly recommend Avomine as a seasickness mediation. It is the one recommended by the medical staff on P&O ships. The last lot I bought cost $9.36 for 30 tablets at Chemist Warehouse. This is an antimistimine and I find it doesn't make me sleepy. If your partner is prone to motion sickness, I suggest he take one before the ship even leaves the wharf, and maybe take one before bed on the next couple of nights until he becomes accustomed to the movement of the ship. Hopefully the seas won't be rough and he won't need to take any more. I am prone to motionsickness and usually on a cruise I don't have to take any, but we have had bad weather on our last two cruises when I needed to take an occasional tablet.:D

The Pearl is a lovely ship. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Yes! please go get some sea sick tablets and take them.

There WILL be movement to some degree heading to and from the Islands.

Just hope for lesser. we encountered 12 meter waves for 3 days on the way home in June! We were 8 hours late returning back to port and even the staff said that it was the worst they had ever encountered!

Cabin position doesn't matter where you are on a ship you'll encounter noise of some kind but where you are does effect movement - mid ship lower down is best!

You'll enjoy it! Pearly is a lovely ship and you be hooked!:)

Have fun and let us all know how it went!

B&B

I would also recommend using Avomine a night or so before you board and take some with you too. You can take it as a preventative at night and then if you are drowsy you sleep it off anyway. My son is very prone to sea sickness and we were on the cruise with 12 m waves and he was only sick once using this medication.

I find the whole position on the ship for movement an interesting thing. It all really depends on how the seas are at the time. I was also on the wild June cruise and I do not think any cabin was free of movement on that sailing. lol.

The best advice I can give you is go with an open mind, try everything you can and above all laugh and relax. The Pearl is a great ship for all fo these things.

I just remember something else (probably a really stupid question) but if we go and buy our own snorkelling gear beforehand.. should we just buy the snorkelling goggles? or the flippers aswell? didnt know if anyone used flippers looks like most people just wear goggles.. or should we just hire our own on the ship? i've read that is more expensive though

I just remember something else (probably a really stupid question) but if we go and buy our own snorkelling gear beforehand.. should we just buy the snorkelling goggles? or the flippers aswell? didnt know if anyone used flippers looks like most people just wear goggles.. or should we just hire our own on the ship? i've read that is more expensive though

I have taken flippers and goggles on several cruises, but the flippers are bulky and heavy to pack. Hiring on the ship is not cheap.

Where are you cruising? If it is to Isle of Pines or Lifou you don't really need flippers as you don't have to swim far. I can't really think of any port on the usual itineraries where you would really have to have flippers, but reef shoes are good to protect you feet in case you accidently touch the coral. My suggestion is reef shoes ($10 or so at Big W) and take your goggles, even if you have to buy them before you go.

I have taken flippers and goggles on several cruises, but the flippers are bulky and heavy to pack. Hiring on the ship is not cheap.

Where are you cruising? If it is to Isle of Pines or Lifou you don't really need flippers as you don't have to swim far. I can't really think of any port on the usual itineraries where you would really have to have flippers, but reef shoes are good to protect you feet in case you accidently touch the coral. My suggestion is reef shoes ($10 or so at Big W) and take your goggles, even if you have to buy them before you go.

Thank you! Much appreciated. We're cruising to Isle of Pines, Lifou, Mystery Island and Noumea. I think I might give the flippers a miss then - already trying to cut back on things to pack! :)

Yes! please go get some sea sick tablets and take them.

There WILL be movement to some degree heading to and from the Islands.

Just hope for lesser. we encountered 12 meter waves for 3 days on the way home in June! We were 8 hours late returning back to port and even the staff said that it was the worst they had ever encountered!

Cabin position doesn't matter where you are on a ship you'll encounter noise of some kind but where you are does effect movement - mid ship lower down is best!

You'll enjoy it! Pearly is a lovely ship and you be hooked!:)

Have fun and let us all know how it went!

B&B

Wow! 12 metre waves! Thats so scary, glad you got home safely in the end though. I think that is what I'm scared of most is the waves getting too out of control.. just hoping it all goes smoothly! :o

Will definitely let you know how it goes! Am so excited although seems like forever away. Just have to remind myself not to watch Titanic before leaving!

Wow! 12 metre waves! Thats so scary, glad you got home safely in the end though. I think that is what I'm scared of most is the waves getting too out of control.. just hoping it all goes smoothly! :o

Will definitely let you know how it goes! Am so excited although seems like forever away. Just have to remind myself not to watch Titanic before leaving!

No icebergs in the Pacific:D.

We were also on the cruise that encountered 12 metre waves, but this is very very unusual. I was not at all worried or frightened as the ship's officers are very experienced.

No icebergs in the Pacific:D.

We were also on the cruise that encountered 12 metre waves, but this is very very unusual. I was not at all worried or frightened as the ship's officers are very experienced.

Oh wow! Can't believe you experienced that too, your very brave I probably would of freaked out! haha! Can't wait though :) I'll probably become a cruise addict like everyone else!

Don't worry about the waves. We've been in a huge storm on a much smaller ship and lived to tell the tale! It was rather exciting, actually.

We take our own snorkels and goggles. You can buy them much cheaper in Aus than hiring them on the ship. Do take reef shoes though, quite cheap from Big W and the like. We tried the tour boat's flippers on a boat snorkelling trip at Vila, but thought they were a nuisance.

Don't worry about the waves. We've been in a huge storm on a much smaller ship and lived to tell the tale! It was rather exciting, actually.

We take our own snorkels and goggles. You can buy them much cheaper in Aus than hiring them on the ship. Do take reef shoes though, quite cheap from Big W and the like. We tried the tour boat's flippers on a boat snorkelling trip at Vila, but thought they were a nuisance.

Haha I'll try not to worry about the waves! I don't know what to expect to be honest but I am very excited!!

But I think I'm just going to get my own snorkels and what not, sounds easier and cheaper! Also, I've been reading alot of people have said to bring extensions cords as there is only one power point in the rooms.. Do you think I should pack one? Seems abit odd to pack but if its needed I'll do it :)

Haha I'll try not to worry about the waves! I don't know what to expect to be honest but I am very excited!!

But I think I'm just going to get my own snorkels and what not, sounds easier and cheaper! Also, I've been reading alot of people have said to bring extensions cords as there is only one power point in the rooms.. Do you think I should pack one? Seems abit odd to pack but if its needed I'll do it :)

Definitely take a power board. This is probably more important than an extension cord.

Also take some pegs so you can handwash your undies at night and hang on the line over the shower.

Definitely take a power board. This is probably more important than an extension cord.

Also take some pegs so you can handwash your undies at night and hang on the line over the shower.

Ok will definitely be packing the power board and some peggys! Thanks heaps!

Yes, we always take an extension cord and a power board. And take some duct tape, too. It's great for emergency repairs. We used it for a suitcase when the handle was broken. I believe people have held drawers in, in rough weather and even on clothes if the hem should unravel a bit. :)

Yes, we always take an extension cord and a power board. And take some duct tape, too. It's great for emergency repairs. We used it for a suitcase when the handle was broken. I believe people have held drawers in, in rough weather and even on clothes if the hem should unravel a bit. :)

Yeah I've heard alot of people take duct tape! Might throw a roll in the suitcase just incase :) thanks!

Tip for Interstate Cruisers (going to and leaving Sydney).

P&O offers a luggage storage service at Wharf 5 for those on a later flight and who want to see Sydney.

We were off the ship at about 9.00 am and didn't have a flight until 4.00pm.

P&O will store your bags at $15 each for suitcases, $10 carry-ons.

This allowed us to go into Sydney and do touristy things until about 2.30 where we went back to the Wharf (watching all the new cruisers walking about on OUR SHIP :(:() collected our bags, and coaught a cab from the airport.

Dont know if the international terminal offers the same service, but we found it invaluable and allowed us to extend our holiday by another six hours.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a South Pacific cruise in 2010, and I think flippers were a must have. I guess it depends how much snorkelling you want to do and how fit you are at swimming, but flippers make it much easier. We snorkelled in deep water at Amedee Lighthouse, and off the beaches at Mystery Island, Isle of Pines and Lifou. If you're flying in from somewhere and have luggage restrictions then maybe don't bring them - but if you don't, what's an extra bag? Our 5 sets of goggles and flippers just had their own carry bag.

We took flippers for the first time in 17 cruises. Was it worth it? Yes. Take your own goggles and snorkel and sometimes you can hire the flippers on shore for a small cost. You will have a great time. Don't worry about the big waves, again in all our cruises we have only had rough sees 2 times. My husband gets see sick and just takes a tablet before we get onboard and one in the morning with breaky. After a few days you wont need them.. Also if it is unbearable go and have a little prick [injection] and you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
We did a South Pacific cruise in 2010, and I think flippers were a must have. I guess it depends how much snorkelling you want to do and how fit you are at swimming, but flippers make it much easier. We snorkelled in deep water at Amedee Lighthouse, and off the beaches at Mystery Island, Isle of Pines and Lifou. If you're flying in from somewhere and have luggage restrictions then maybe don't bring them - but if you don't, what's an extra bag? Our 5 sets of goggles and flippers just had their own carry bag.

IT sound like a good idea to take snorkel & goggles ,will see how much room have left for flippers.Has anybody used these waterproof camera bags off ebay that you can use while snorkling

Archived