Why does debarking with Belize in the itinerary now cause a major customs slowdown?

I have been to Belize about 11 times (all with swift debarkations) but this past cruise we were told at embarkation that debarkation would take much longer, about 6 hours or more to complete. The rep that checked us in at embarkation said it had to do with Belize or Carnival not signing something. He also said they may drop Belize because of the extra security that is required now with Belize itineraries. Anyone know the details?

Why did the fact that we visited Belize slow debarking to a crawl? Something changed but I am not sure what it was.

During the cruise

We were told by the CD that this disembarkation would be detailed and slow. Because of this, we decided to do self assist and the ship docked at 7:00 and was cleared for first passengers off by around 7:45 or 8:00. They called self assist, deck 1. We were eating breakfast and it seems we finally saw some of the first pax off about a half hour later. We were in group 2 and we exited when called. Our line took about 20-40 minutes depending on where you were in line to get through just the self assist deck two. We were out of customs and to our garage at 9:10. But probably 90 percent of this ship still was left to go. At that rate it must have taken a very long time to clear the ship.

The Magic had two full movies slated to start to occupy passengers while they waited. I bet that next group didn't get to board until well after 2:00.

I'm curious, If anyone is on Carnival Magic right now, what time did you get on on 7/22?

And do you think they will really cut Belize because of whatever the issue is that causes it to take so long (not signing an agreement or something?)

WOW, this must be a new thing. We went to Belize on our last cruise-Dec 2011 w/ no issues. Do you think it was Magic or Galveston? We are sailing the Dream in Nov which stops at Belize. I hope they get it figured out by then. We'll be ok no matter tho cause our flight out isn't til after 4PM.

How'd you like the Magic? Hope the cruise was good.

WOW, this must be a new thing. We went to Belize on our last cruise-Dec 2011 w/ no issues. Do you think it was Magic or Galveston? We are sailing the Dream in Nov which stops at Belize. I hope they get it figured out by then. We'll be ok no matter tho cause our flight out isn't til after 4PM.

How'd you like the Magic? Hope the cruise was good.

Yes we were last in Belize in November of 2011 on NCL so I don't know if it is a Belize thing or a Carnival thing so if anyone has the scoop....

I loved the Magic and overall the cruise was good though we did miss Roatan.

Oh missing Roatan would be a bummer. One of my fav ports. I liked Belize too tho. Belize gets such a bad rap, but we enjoyed our tour there last time & are very excited about our tour there in Nov 2012. Glad you enjoyed Magic, did you just have an extra sea day, missing Roatan? Or did they sub another port?

Sometimes Customs is *looking for something* when you arrive from certain destinations. There could be a high alert on arrivals from Belize.

I don't know for sure that's what it is, but that does happen a lot with flights to and from certain countries at times, so they same could hold true for cruise ships.

But they knew at embarkation that we would be held up at debark. It has something to do with an agreement not being signed or something like that but I don't understand why 4600 passengers each cruise will slow to a halt for this and what the agreement was. I too am afraid this port will go away and thus maybe Roatan too. I will be curious to read the speed of embarkation on the group who are currently sailing as they came behind us and will get off the ship Sunday.

I hope not! We booked a cruise next April with a big group just because it was going to Belize and Roatan! Also going to Cayman and Cozumel, but we've been there already.

I hope it was just a fluke thing and not going to change.

We were on the Liberty in November and were delayed over an hour to debark the ship in Belize. We had a Carnival excursion planned and the waiting area was a ZOO! When we were finally given clearance and I was on deck 0 walking out the door to the tender, a Carnival employee jokingly yelled at a Belize customs employee and said "why do you delay us all the time", and the response was, "it's not us, it's you!".

We were on the Liberty last December. I remember it took a long time to get off the ship once we were back in Miami. I don't recall what zone we were in. But we were told there is a lot of drug trafficking coming out of Belize now so that is what caused the delay. We were also told to expect long delays on our last sea day - embark talks. Not sure how much truth there is to that or how much is just rumor......

Archived