Doing tricks on the flowrider

I became addicted to the flowrider on our last cruise on the Liberty. I switched our upcoming cruise from the Brilliance to the Oasis to get lots of flowrider time. I read a post about a month ago where somebody said they were on the Oasis recently and they had banned riders from doing tricks on the flowrider. If you have been on the Oasis in the past month, could you please confirm or deny this comment. Are tricks now banned? Are only certain tricks banned? Is it riding as it was in March with a full bag of tricks allowed?

We just returned from FOS and they have (it's my understand it's across all ships) implemented new rules. No barrel rolls, the board can not come out from under you at any time. The only thing you could really do on the boogie board was spin on your knees. The sports staff we talked to were very frustrated with the new restrictions. My family still had a great time though!

Let's keep in mind that even with having to sign the waiver most people just don't understand dangerous it inherently is. It's only water, after all...

Well, the flowriders on the ships are pushing water at about 35 miles an hour (most land based flowriders run about 45 mph) and when you wipe out you're being pushed towards the back wall by water going at that speed. And the wash-out zone at the top really isn't that long.

I do stand up all the time on a land based flowrider here in Orlando and I'm pretty good and I've twisted knees, jammed fingers, sprained ankles, lost toenails... etc etc etc (plus one of my friends who is a pro dislocated his shoulder).

So lets keep in mind that not everybody that's on the flowrider is as good as you are and if you're doing barrel rolls and they see you doing it and decide to try it themselves they might get hurt. I have no issues with having to keep the flowboard or boogie board under you at all times... there are plenty of tricks that can still be done.

Thanks for the info to those who have replied so far. I await a more detailed description of what is allowed and disallowed on the both boogie boarding and the stand up...

Boogie boarding...

Can you do the running jump entry where you are sit on the board with your butt in mid-air before hitting the water?

If barrel rolls are not permitted anymore, I guess that means the superman moves are out too (throwing the board forward and then catching it).

Can you still ride on one knee and one foot on the board beside it?

Stand up....

Can you enter from the top still or only from the side?

Can you do the tricks where you jump from one board to another board?

I assume the trick where you kick the board forward and jump back on it will be banned too?

Must be some really boring flowrider competitions now compared to what I have seen on YouTube in the past.

I loved the instructors demo show in the past. Do the instructors still do the flowrider demonstrations to all the tricks you "used to be able to try" or does that encourage people to want to try them?

I was on the Allure two weeks ago. We did group private lessons so we got lots of time (well worth it in my opinion and we are 34 and 35) We watched a lot too as the lines were LONG!

Stand-Up we saw and watched the staff coaching

360's

Coming in from the top

splashing the audience

jumping from one board to another

laying down on the surf board then jumping back on to it.

Boogie board

roll overs

pushing out and coming back in

running starts

one knee

two knees

I won't be doing anymore stand up surfing. I tore my medial meniscus in my right knee. Well I will always remember the cruise. I will have surgery scars to remind me.

Missy:D

I won't be doing anymore stand up surfing. I tore my medial meniscus in my right knee. Well I will always remember the cruise. I will have surgery scars to remind me.

OMG Missy :D I was just emailing today with a friend that was on our Radiance cruise in April. A month later, she did the exact same thing to her knee, stand up surfing on the flow rider on Freedom. :eek:

I think I will just watch people. :)

I was on the Allure two weeks ago. We did group private lessons so we got lots of time (well worth it in my opinion and we are 34 and 35) We watched a lot too as the lines were LONG!

OMG Missy :D I was just emailing today with a friend that was on our Radiance cruise in April. A month later, she did the exact same thing to her knee, stand up surfing on the flow rider on Freedom. :eek:

I think I will just watch people. :)

That would be ME!!. We also had 8 of us doing a private hour--WELL worth it. I do not regret doing it, but won't be doing stand up ever again though as I will be having arthoscopic meniscus repair surgery on my left knee probably in September after we get back from Baltics and TA on Brillance. Best of luck to you Missy.

Interesting. I wonder how the staff is going to keep the line moving now. They normally encouraged tricks to get people to 'wipe out' once they had been on so long.

Anyway, I know I am starting to get a little old for the flowrider:( In the four years from my first time to my most recent time, I could tell it was more painful to my joints.

Interesting. I wonder how the staff is going to keep the line moving now. They normally encouraged tricks to get people to 'wipe out' once they had been on so long.

I was wondering the same thing. I have seen people on there doing tricks who lasted 2 or 3 minutes and only fell because they attempted tricks they could not yet do successfully. If they are to simply ride now, they are likely to not fall at all. Maybe they will have to add a timing system like other places have where there is a countdown clock and each rider gets 1 or 2 minutes and as many rides as they can handle in the allotted time?

Anyway, I know I am starting to get a little old for the flowrider:( In the four years from my first time to my most recent time, I could tell it was more painful to my joints.

I don't know how old you are, hopefully not only 21 since your name is smoosh21, but I saw people in their mid to late 50s on it on my last cruise on the standup.

Archived