Samana Question

Sailing Grandma

We have been to Samana once and did the Mangrove & Cave tour. On our January cruise we would like to make this stop a beach day and are trying to decide between the ship's "tour" to Cayo Levantado or getting a day pass on our own to Cayenas del Mar.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

We have been to Samana once and did the Mangrove & Cave tour. On our January cruise we would like to make this stop a beach day and are trying to decide between the ship's "tour" to Cayo Levantado or getting a day pass on our own to Cayenas del Mar.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Would always go to cayo when visiting Samana. The take you right from the ship and straight to the island. It's not the allotted time they say. Tenders go back and forth every half hr or so. We stayed all day when we went

Cayo_Levantado.JPG

Cayo Levantado was great! They bring you right from the ships tender to the island. Drink prices weren't too bad, we liked the Presidente beer. Plenty of beach chairs and shaded areas to sit. They also had a volleyball area, vendors, and kayaks to rent. There wasn't good snorkeling there, that was the only downside, it might have been due to choppy seas the day we went. Definitely would go there again :)

I loved Cayo Levantado when I was there last year. . .I am looking forward to going again in January !

I think it was around $36.

Radio

:):)

If you want to "experience" Samana and not just another beach day book a tour with "Tours with Terry" http://www.toursamanawithterry.com/ Also many reviews on "Trip Advisor"

Terry is an American from Pittsburg and offers a number of tours from ATV, ZIP Line, horseback, waterfall etc. Check out their website for further information.

My sister and I took the "Low Impact culture and waterfall" (#5) this past February. Terry actually meets all of his tours at the port, has plenty of beverages during the tour. You pay after the tour in completed. This was by far the best excursion that we have ever taken. We were able to see the "real" Samana and received an authentic lunch at a beautiful beach.

Take a look at the website and judge for yourself

• 3 weeks later...

Archived