Is Air Provided Both Ways?

Thinking about booking a Alaska cruise for next year. Will be a family cruise, Myself,DW,2 DS 14 and 9.

My question is when you book with NCL is airfare provided both ways. We like in Southern Cal and will be leaving out of LAX to Sea get on board then need to fly from Vancouver back to LAX.

Looked at prices and cruise with air is only about 400 more than just cruise. Thinking is is for one flight only.

Haven't got as far as doing the deposit because I think I need a bit more money and need to wait for a bonus check next month, thinking of other return home options if air is only one way.

One other question is I'm going to book the Family Haven Suite and is there a separate "Haven" area for the Family Suites. Just thinking the whole idea of the "haven" I think is for people that don't want the kids around.

Thanks

No, air is not included. NCL will arrange it for you for an additional fee. But you won't know what they've arranged until just a few weeks before. You're usually better off arranging your own. You can often find a better fare and schedule.

The one time I used NCL air arrangements, they booked us on a flight that was scheduled to land one hour after everyone was supposed to be on board. Won't ever do it again because we missed the entire afternoon on board the ship and stressed over even the smallest possible delays. It's take what they give you unless you're willing to pay even more.

But yes, if you book air with them, it should include the air both ways.

No, air is not included. NCL will arrange it for you for an additional fee. But you won't know what they've arranged until just a few weeks before. You're usually better off arranging your own. You can often find a better fare and schedule.

I think the OP realized that. They said they were comparing the cruise price and the price of cruise with air.

OP, I would think that they'd arrange both ways if you asked them to but we've never done air through a cruise line so can't say for sure. From everything I've read, though, I'd suggest just booking your own air. You'll get much more convenient times and the price will probably be the same or better.

It may be worth inquiring about the fares through NCL but before calling them, do your own airfare check. LAX being a huge market airport may have lower airfare direct with the airline then with NCL. Also as the other post said, through the cruiseline you can get some teally stressful itinerary.

I am a big proponent of arriving one day before the cruise. This way delays are not as stressful and you wake the next morning more relaxed and ready for cruise.

Have a great cruise.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I have never used NCL air program - it was either too expensive or inconvienent (NCL air to Hawaii changed planes in SFX - we could fly ourselves non stop from PDX on another airline). I think that a quick call to NCL or your TA will provide your answer. It sounds like you are looking at doing the last cruise of the season - Sea to Van.

As to your suite questions - there are two classes of family suites on both the Jewel and Pearl - Catagory SC are on deck 11 forward and do not have Haven access but do have butler and concergie as well as the rest of the suite perks - there are 10 of them on each ship. The S4 catagory are on deck 14 in the Haven -there are only 8 of these on each ship.

One advantage of the Haven Suites is that Cagney's is only one deck down on the mid ship elevator (the only one that goes to the Haven).

The other suites - have a longer walk to reach Cagneys.

I have never used NCL air program - it was either too expensive or inconvienent (NCL air to Hawaii changed planes in SFX - we could fly ourselves non stop from PDX on another airline). I think that a quick call to NCL or your TA will provide your answer. It sounds like you are looking at doing the last cruise of the season - Sea to Van.

In addition to United, Alaska and Air Canada you may want to also look at WestJet web page. WestJet is the discount Canadian airline that also flies that route.

Thanks for all the info. Did a quick check on Expedia for airfares and it looks like right now its about 450 cheaper to do my own air. Also get to pick airline and seats.

Chipq: Yes I am also a big proponent for arriving a day early. I always have 2 days before and after my vacation off, just in case anything happens and to not be so rushed.

Thanks for the "haven" info. Just was a bit worried about the boys being a bit to "boyish" in the haven pool. I guess I could always just send them to the big pool if they are bothering people.

Looks like this one is going to be pretty expensive but its worth it. My and DW 15 anniversary will be a few weeks before so I can count that in to.

(I hope).

It is of great benefit to add as many extra days in Alaska as possible. There is so much to see and do, take advantage of being there. At the least- take a Prince William Sound boat tour day of embakment, do not be in any rush to get on the ship. :) This boat tour, is WAY superior to anything you will see from the cruiseship. Fits in very nicely with the schedule.

Cruise air, is always "round trip"- to/from your home airport.

Verify is any transfers are included, which they usually are.

Thanks for all the info. Did a quick check on Expedia for airfares and it looks like right now its about 450 cheaper to do my own air. Also get to pick airline and seats.

Some airlines, like Southwest do not list on the big travel sites.

Archived