Found an Item in my Star stateroom

JDKMunch

I think the OP is right.

He is taking advantage of BOTH Norwegian's ability to contact previous guests AND his ability, along with 7 friends to use the CC boards.

If I left something I would appreciate the effort, especially if it something valuable. I would have less trust in any cruise line, or cruise line employee to return the item than I would have in the OP, using NCL as a resource, and holding them accountable.

My trust in the original poster is based on the simple fact that he posted here. If his intention was to keep the item, well, uh, wouldnt he not post here?

He has removed multiple levels of potential theft.

People should be thanking him, not chastising him.

Sorry, the best chance for something to be returned is for it to be turned in immediately. Once it's removed from the ship the chance of it being matched up to the owner decreases because of time and potential for error. I would not appreciate anyone taking my belongings with them as the best chance for me to get it back would be for them to turn it in immediately so NCL would have it when I called in about it. Hundreds of items are left behind each week. By the time the next cruise disembarks its probably too late in most cases. It's forgotten or buried.

My partner travels for a living and constantly leaves things behind in hotel rooms. The ONLY time he gets something back is when it is immediately turned in so they have it at the desk when he calls in. If they don't have it at the desk when he calls in, he will never see it again.

Thank you -

and I don't mind the controversy. Without knowing what the item is it's easy to shoot of comments (one side or the other) that I understand.

It is truly an interesting topic and I will do all I can to reunite the item with the owner. With the help of CC and a few other boards and NCL I'm sure I will.

I was in 11656 with my wife and one year old son. My parents were in room 9508 and my in-laws were in room 8657.

And - for the first time on NCL we had a great time. For a smaller ship it was great. (hence why we booked on Breakaway)

I think the OP is right.

He is taking advantage of BOTH Norwegian's ability to contact previous guests AND his ability, along with 7 friends to use the CC boards.

If I left something I would appreciate the effort, especially if it something valuable. I would have less trust in any cruise line, or cruise line employee to return the item than I would have in the OP, using NCL as a resource, and holding them accountable.

My trust in the original poster is based on the simple fact that he posted here. If his intention was to keep the item, well, uh, wouldnt he not post here?

You make a point except for one thing. By posting here the OP is probably hitting less than 2% of the ship's passengers. So never being able to reach the passenger that lost it or it being stolen wouldn't make much difference if the original owner didn't get it back.

Like most large lost and found depts. I would assume NCL takes in items and records it for easier look up. Since this item was not taken in by them, there would be no place to record it and as I stated above only the person the OP spoke to would have the information that they have the item. I'd also have to assume that the lost and found department does not have access to the ship's client list with stateroom numbers so finding who was in that cabin would also not be an option.

I really think sending this item back as I stated above is the best option and getting a name to actually send it to would lessen the risk of this item going missing through theft.

Sorry, the best chance for something to be returned is for it to be turned in immediately. Once it's removed from the ship the chance of it being matched up to the owner decreases because of time and potential for error. I would not appreciate anyone taking my belongings with them as the best chance for me to get it back would be for them to turn it in immediately so NCL would have it when I called in about it.

My partner travels for a living and constantly leaves things behind in hotel rooms. The ONLY time he gets something back is when it is immediately turned in so they have it at the desk when he calls in. If they don't have it at the desk when he calls in, he will never see it again.

OR things were turned in

but he got the response "sorry nothing was returned"

you just don't know

I contacted NCL corporate today -

Without question I would never leave this on the ship - I traveled with 7 people and we all agreed to post on the "boards" and contact cooperate directly to reach out to the last few people sailing in room 11656

It would be way too easy just to say "nope we found nothing" and keep the item (which is not what I want)

Oh how sad! So you just took it with you because all of you agreed that would be better??? Now I understand why people complain lost and found doesn't have their item, previous passengers just take it with them!

OR things were turned in

but he got the response "sorry nothing was returned"

you just don't know

I used to work in a hotel. The most frequent reason we couldn't return something... Because it just wasn't there. Once someone else got to the room, all bets are off and the chance of being able to return something to the owner was almost zero.

Oh how sad! So you just took it with you because all of you agreed that would be better??? Now I understand why people complain lost and found doesn't have their item, previous passengers just take it with them!

yep sad

I am arrogant and what qualifies me are my intentions.

As NCL states they are not responsible for personable belongings. I have left items on other lines before never to be returned.

As I said - this would not be returned - keep in mind you have no idea what it is. Could be worth thousands or nothing at all. I will post when the item is reunited with the owner.

That you could say "this would not be returned" is incredible. Why would you even sail on a line that employed people you felt could not be trusted at all?

I used to work in a hotel. The most frequent reason we couldn't return something... Because it just wasn't there. Once someone else got to the room, all bets are off and the chance of being able to return something to the owner was almost zero.

or the maid slipped it in their pocked,

or thought it had no value and tossed it

or ........... fill in the blank

It is impossible to know

Is there a way to send a private message on these boards?

I don't want to have to keep reading this thread.

Agree or disagree - that's fine - all I want is to reunite the item with the owner.

I'll let the discussion continue -

We know NCL reads this board. Perfect time and place to reach out to OP and alert their L&F department.

Hope all works out.

I once left a notebook in a hotel room in Mexico. Called from the airport. Nothing. It was important to me. But the maid probably tossed it. I doubt the room had been turned over in that short time of two hours or less.

It is very important to examine the entire room when bags are at the door! We always do. But in this case I bet I had left it on the bed, which was unmade and it was hidden under the linens.

or the maid slipped it in their pocked...

Yes, well, its thanks to people who do things like this that overworked maids, room stewards, and other employees who have limited time to get their work done get blamed for stealing things that were stashed where they wouldn't see them.

I have no personal experience with NCL's lost and found. The point I was trying to make is that NCL would have a much better chance of reuniting the lost item with the proper owner than a subsequent passenger would.

I can't see any valid reason why the OP would take the item and not turn it in to the lost and found. Having no faith in NCL's lost and found is not a valid reason IMHO.

I once left my purse in a WalMart shopping cart while getting a cranky child in the car. I drove home before I realized it and immediately went back. The cart was where I left it, but empty. I ran into the store but no one had turned it in. I WAS SICK WITH WORRY! I called and cancelled credit cards, called the bank about my checkbook etc.

FOUR HOURS LATER a woman called saying she had my purse. (This was before cell phones were everywhere). She had taken it home saying she "didn't trust THOSE people at WalMart." I was furious. I had cancelled everything for nothing. Her excuse for not calling me immediately was "she had to take care of her child." If she had just turned the purse in everything would have been fine! The nerve! And she could not understand why I was not thankful. Perhaps if she had called me right away.

Is there a way to send a private message on these boards?

I don't want to have to keep reading this thread.

Agree or disagree - that's fine - all I want is to reunite the item with the owner.

I'll let the discussion continue -

How would someone contact you?

I think the OP is right.

I can see both sides on this one, and you make an excellent point that the OP did not have to post at all. I recently left my ipad on a plane and the airline is sending me around in circles and I am more than frustrated. It could be that my ipad is in the great abyss of ipads that get donated after 3 months of "not being claimed," which I may never know because the airline lost and found will not actually let you contact them directly, or someone could be the proud owner of a stolen ipad.

I would hope that NCL would be honest, and I like the idea of taking a picture of the item and the name, but how could you know whether or not the item was returned to it's owner?

I hope that whatever the item is, that the owner gets it back - however that happens...Losing stuff is a suckfest.

I can see both sides on this one, and you make an excellent point that the OP did not have to post at all. I recently left my ipad on a plane and the airline is sending me around in circles and I am more than frustrated. It could be that my ipad is in the great abyss of ipads that get donated after 3 months of "not being claimed," which I may never know because the airline lost and found will not actually let you contact them directly, or someone could be the proud owner of a stolen ipad.

I would hope that NCL would be honest, and I like the idea of taking a picture of the item and the name, but how could you know whether or not the item was returned to it's owner?

I hope that whatever the item is, that the owner gets it back - however that happens...Losing stuff is a suckfest.

You wouldn't know...and we won't really know here either.

I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Whether or not he is handling it how someone else would choose to is neither here nor there. What is important is that he is making an effort to find the previous occupants of the cabin. They might not even know they have left something on board, so may not be looking for it. I don't know if NCL would be proactive to seek the previous occupants (not being certain how previous, without them asking about the lost item) and return the item.

Bottom line is I hope their item is returned :)

i am mixed about the discussion of leaving it with NCL or trying to find the owner. Arguments both ways.

My hesitation about taking it to the front desk at NCL is not about "trusting the staff". Theft could happen, but I do believe their efforts if finding the owner may be less than expected. My personal experience is they just do not care.

No easy answers.

Meanwhile - I hope the OP has tried to make contact on the ROLL CALL. Sadly, many of those that frequent these boards BEFORE they cruise, do not come back AFTER they cruise.

I do have to say that I was less than thrilled about how something I turned in was handled (we've actually turned in items twice). It was a diamond ring and it was in the safe. I brought it to the desk, turned it in and they asked nothing..not our room, or our name. I said, wait, aren't you going to ask where I found it? Oh, ok, what room. I then told him and asked if he was going to write it down. He said he would. I asked for a receipt, he said they don't give them out, since I wasn't the owner. I left and watched from the side, as he waited on the next person and the one after that. Nothing was written down, and I feel the owner could kiss that goodbye.

Archived