Found an Item in my Star stateroom

JDKMunch

I agree with you 100%.

It amazes me the amount of bashing that happens here. One starts and alot (not all) try to one up the last basher.

I feel the gesture of the OP was very sincere. I can imagine how many people have found items and took them home, for themselves.

We had an experience with something found in a van in BDA. The driver thought we should take a chance and bring it on the ship when we return, it was a camera. The people that got out before us were a handicapped woman in wheelchair with a young girl.

Crew on the Ship didn't seem fazed one bit. I know my camera comes everywhere with me, they are memories!

Luckily for us, on the last day we happened to see a handicapped woman and a young girl, I approached them to see if they lost a camera. They did!!! No one managed to get the camera back to them. The woman was in a wheelchair with a young girl. Wasn't many of them on board with their description. I told them where we turned the camera into and they got it back.They were happy, I was happier :)I believe most people have the best of intentions as did this OP.

I think the OP is right.

He is taking advantage of BOTH Norwegian's ability to contact previous guests AND his ability, along with 7 friends to use the CC boards.

If I left something I would appreciate the effort, especially if it something valuable. I would have less trust in any cruise line, or cruise line employee to return the item than I would have in the OP, using NCL as a resource, and holding them accountable.

My trust in the original poster is based on the simple fact that he posted here. If his intention was to keep the item, well, uh, wouldnt he not post here?

He has removed multiple levels of potential theft.

People should be thanking him, not chastising him.

I agree with "FamilyofCruisers" in that the OP seems sincere. After all, once he got the item off of the ship that could of been the end of it. However, he seems to be investigating all avenues in an attempt to find the rightful owner. Kudos to the OP. :)

I got a call from the owner of the item -

The owner called NCL explaining they lost it and NCL gave them my number. :D:D

All is well! Now I know for sure the wedding ring will go back in the hands of the rightful owner.

Happy sailing!

Just my input and thoughts BUT MAYBE IF THE CABIN STAFF HAD CARRIED OUT FULL CHECKS UP ON CLEANING BETWEEN CRUISERS, THE ITEM WOULD HAVE BEEN FOUND BY THEM,

so where does the blame

I agree, it should have been found by cabin Stewart. I guess they didn't clean very well.

All is well! Now I know for sure the wedding ring will go back in the hands of the rightful owner.

Happy sailing!

Great to hear a happy ending to the story. Thanks for taking the time to reunite the item with it's owner.

Happy sailing!

Wonderful to hear! It was good of you to put this effort into finding the owner of the lost item.

Happy sailing!

Kudos to you for doing the RIGHT thing. I'm sure the owners were grateful to you for finding and safekeeping the ring. I still say this is the best site for folks who need help for any cruising questions they have , myself included.

Having said that, this unfortunately is also one of the worst sites for FLAMERS. Having read this thread from beginning to end I discovered that some folks have a Piranha syndrome and tend to gang flame the op without really understanding the facts. I must admit that at first I was wondering why the op was trying to achieve and had some doubts, but after reading further on it was easy to see what the OP'S intentions were.

It's a good thing that there are far more members out there that have good intentions and want to truly help any and all posters than the few that feel the need to be judge and jury and hangman. But thats JMHO. So lets all just sit back, grab some popcorn and your fav. cocktail and wait for the slinging to start. Got big shoulders and thick skin , so to all of those that feel the need, go for it lol.:D Once again JDKMunch, good job, nice to know there are still decent folks out there;).

cheers...the Ump...:D

Depends what the item is. After an item has lay unclaimed after a certain amount of time, it can be discarded, or "taken" by a member of staff? I know the police return the item to the finder, but it's slightly different when handing it in to a hotel eg.

Maybe the OP feels if the owner doesn't claim it, he should have it?

Just a thought, as it happens all the time in many hotels.

Yes, and this is exactly why it wasn't returned. Because someone like you took it with them instead of turning it in.

Think about your statement, I was there and I know that the OP is a very honest person and has all intentions of returning the item to the proper owner.

I also believe that some of you that are beating down the OP are probably the ones who would find a wallet, take the money and dump the wallet in the trash.

I once left my purse in a WalMart shopping cart while getting a cranky child in the car. I drove home before I realized it and immediately went back. The cart was where I left it, but empty. I ran into the store but no one had turned it in. I WAS SICK WITH WORRY! I called and cancelled credit cards, called the bank about my checkbook etc.

FOUR HOURS LATER a woman called saying she had my purse. (This was before cell phones were everywhere). She had taken it home saying she "didn't trust THOSE people at WalMart." I was furious. I had cancelled everything for nothing. Her excuse for not calling me immediately was "she had to take care of her child." If she had just turned the purse in everything would have been fine! The nerve! And she could not understand why I was not thankful. Perhaps if she had called me right away.

Perhaps dishonest person would have taken from the cart carelessly left behind and you would have had to cancel anyway after the put gas in there car and quickly went shopping with your cards. You are the one who left it in the cart. Oh well

Think about your statement, I was there and I know that the OP is a very honest person and has all intentions of returning the item to the proper owner.

I also believe that some of you that are beating down the OP are probably the ones who would find a wallet, take the money and dump the wallet in the trash.

No. I turn in the things I've found to the establishment. Jewelry, credit cards, whatever...

No apology. I never accused the OP of trying to keep the item. I just feel they went about it inappropriately. I'm glad the person has their ring back. But I still feel the right thing to do would have been to turn it in to guest services. That is definitely what I would prefer to have done if I left something behind on the ship or in a hotel.

Happy sailing!

I have a question...

You said you took the item home because you did not trust the NCL employees. If that is true, then:

How do you know that the person who called is really the owner and not some untrustworthy employee pretending to be the owner?

I wonder how many of the Flamers will come back and give an apology to the OP? Hopefully most. But I am sure some will just pretend it never happened.

Though nice to know there appears to be a happy ending, I still believe that anyone who knowingly takes home a 'lost' item without turning it in is wrong. If the OP believes he is right, so be it. I don't expect him to apologize for what he believes is right any more than I think I should apologize for what I believe is right.

Happy sailing!

Kudos to you OP- you are a class act!! Had it been left on the ship with the staff i don't know if it would have been returned. It was good of course you didn't post what the item was since someone could have said it was theirs.

Due to your dillegence, there are 2 very happy and relieved people who were probably very anxious after their cruise!

I think you did the right thing. It would be very easy for the ring to "disappear" on the ship. I'm sure the person that lost it is also grateful that you took it into your safe possession. Would love to hear from him/her.

As for the person who asked "How do you know that the person who called is really the owner and not some untrustworthy employee pretending to be the owner?" - seriously? He had the cabin number and what the item was. Did you?

As for the person who asked "How do you know that the person who called is really the owner and not some untrustworthy employee pretending to be the owner?" - seriously? He had the cabin number and what the item was. Did you?

No, but them I wasn't a part of the transaction. I am simply a bystander...like YOU are.

You do, however, need to re-read what I wrote. IF (as the OP claims) NCL employees could not be trusted, these untrustworthy employees could access the info (names, phone numbers, etc) of the people who stayed in that cabin. Since the OP called NCL to say what they found, then the untrustworthy employee would have that info as well. From there, either the untrustworthy employee (or their accomplace) could call the OP and "claim" to be the person who lost the item....and they wouldn't have to prove a thing.

In other words...if the OP thought NCL employees couldn't be trusted to hold the item, how does the OP trust those same employees to carry on legitimately now?

Another possibility not considered: A few people have wondered how the room steward "missed" the ring while cleaning. It is possible that the room steward lost THEIR ring while cleaning and it was not the property of the former passengers at all??

His intentions were to return the item, yes? If they weren't I would assume he wouldn't make any of this known here at CC. So for the benefit of all, please explain why it's wrong?

I still believe that anyone who knowingly takes home a 'lost' item without turning it in is wrong.

I have a question...

You said you took the item home because you did not trust the NCL employees. If that is true, then:

How do you know that the person who called is really the owner and not some untrustworthy employee pretending to be the owner?

The OP never said what the item was, so If I wanted to lie and say it was mine, I could call in, but my plan would fail due to the fact that I would not be able to name nor give a description of the ring!

GEEZ...Why on EARTH are some people so determined to BASH the person who is responsible for making someone's nightmare disappear! I sure wish the OP was the one sitting on the plane after me. Then maybe I wouldn't be stuck dealing with guest services for an airline that couldn't give a flying frog about returning my ipad to me. Maybe he/she would have called Apple and harassed them into contacting me. I am SO HAPPY for the person who lost the ring, and I am sure they will be eternally grateful to the OP!

Archived