Found an Item in my Star stateroom

JDKMunch

OP is not owed an apology. The ring should have been turned in to NCL. Just because the right outcome happened doesn't mean he was right.

He was right, because he trusted himself to return the ring to the rightful owner rather than trusting an NCL employee.

A similar thing happened to us last year on the GEM. My wife and I found a wallet with over $400 cash in it. I considered returning the wallet to guest services but had second thoughts because I thought the person behind the desk could have easily taken the cash. As we were looking for the persons ID, we found a drink receipt with the persons stateroom number on it. We proceeded to the stateroom, knocked on the door and returned the wallet.

Kudos to you OP, for doing the right thing! :)

It's amazing to me how many people on this thread, think that the company that they sail on a cruiseship with and trust with their lives at sea hire so many perceived crooks.

It isn't so much "crooked" people but trusting underpaid overworked people to take the extra mile to find an owner.

Sometimes people just want to have the peace of mind that they reunited the found item with the owner.

It isn't so much "crooked" people but trusting underpaid overworked people to take the extra mile to find an owner.

Sometimes people just want to have the peace of mind that they reunited the found item with the owner.

But that isn't what I was addressing. I did not say that I thought NCL would bend over backwards to find the original owner and probably wouldn't, overpaid and underworked or not. They probably just do what other large companies do. Record it and if you call to find it they look it up.

What I was addressing, was exactly what I said. The ones that think that NCL have hired crooks. Please refer to the post below, as an example. There are a lot of posters on here that have said this including the OP "or the maid slipped it in their pocked,"

rather than trusting an NCL employee.

I considered returning the wallet to guest services but had second thoughts because I thought the person behind the desk could have easily taken the cash.

I think a lot of this I'd rather make sure it's handled the "right way" stuff is pretty self serving! If a person takes it upon him/herself to "do the right thing" and the owner does not show up, who gets the item?? Well, the finder of course.

All we know right now is the OP says he found the owner and did the right thing.

I can tell you I found $100,000 in cash last cruise, but the owner called me today and I gave it back. Just about as likely.

Time to close this thread down I think. Mostly a majority saying the OP is wrong and a few saying how wonderful. I'd like to see the ring and hear from NCL about how they put the two in touch with each other.:rolleyes:

Im sorry but if the OP had any intentions of keeping it why would he post it think about it Give OP a break they were being honest and i repect that

He was not being dishonest, but what he did was 100% wrong. You do not take it upon yourself to remove valuables that are not yours from a business. You turn it into that business so they can get it back to the right person, or hold it until that person contacts them.

Taking something that isn't yours is theft, whether you have good intentions or not.

He was not being dishonest, but what he did was 100% wrong. You do not take it upon yourself to remove valuables that are not yours from a business. You turn it into that business so they can get it back to the right person, or hold it until that person contacts them.

Taking something that isn't yours is theft, whether you have good intentions or not.

Sorry Tony. If your comment "what he did was 100% wrong" was just your opinion - then I apologize. But as an FYI, there is just no legal merit to your comment - and I'll just leave it at that - as I'm sure everyone can look it up if they want. From the morality side, turning in lost items to the place of business is just one option to return the item to the owner. And circumstances (which there are many) dictate what option. The OP chose another option base on what he found and what he felt he needed to do. This is not only legal, but also would be considered noble.

As for your "theft" comment, I would review the definition as that's a really strong accusation to use incorrectly. The OP never fraudulently took the personal property.

He was right, because he trusted himself to return the ring to the rightful owner rather than trusting an NCL employee.

A similar thing happened to us last year on the GEM. My wife and I found a wallet with over $400 cash in it. I considered returning the wallet to guest services but had second thoughts because I thought the person behind the desk could have easily taken the cash. As we were looking for the persons ID, we found a drink receipt with the persons stateroom number on it. We proceeded to the stateroom, knocked on the door and returned the wallet.

Kudos to you OP, for doing the right thing! :)

Receipts don't have staterooms numbers on them, only folio numbers.

Receipts don't have staterooms numbers on them, only folio numbers.

Maybe on Carnival they don't (isn't "folio" a Carnival term?) but I just pulled my receipts from the Star in May and every receipt has my Name, Stateroom number and Account Number on it. The ship card doesn't have the stateroom number on it, but the receipts sure do.

Sorry Tony. If your comment "what he did was 100% wrong" was just your opinion - then I apologize. But as an FYI, there is just no legal merit to your comment - and I'll just leave it at that - as I'm sure everyone can look it up if they want. From the morality side, turning in lost items to the place of business is just one option to return the item to the owner. And circumstances (which there are many) dictate what option. The OP chose another option base on what he found and what he felt he needed to do. This is not only legal, but also would be considered noble.

As for your "theft" comment, I would review the definition as that's a really strong accusation to use incorrectly. The OP never fraudulently took the personal property.

Larceny definitions in every state that I am aware of include taking lost property that you know isn't yours. For example the NY Penal Code includes:

A person acquires lost property when he exercises control over

property of another which he knows to have been lost or mislaid, or to

have been delivered under a mistake as to the identity of the recipient

Maybe on Carnival they don't (isn't "folio" a Carnival term?) but I just pulled my receipts from the Star in May and every receipt has my Name, Stateroom number and Account Number on it. The ship card doesn't have the stateroom number on it, but the receipts sure do.

Wow, I never noticed that. I always thought it was a security thing that they didn't put the cabin # on them.

Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Larceny definitions in every state that I am aware of include taking lost property that you know isn't yours. For example the NY Penal Code includes:

A person acquires lost property when he exercises control over

Tony, may I ask why you did not include the last 11 words of the section you quoted?

Here's the ENTIRE section from 155.05, 2(b),:

(b) By acquiring lost property.

"A person acquires lost property when he exercises control over

or the nature or amount of the property, without taking reasonable measures to return such property to the owner"

Kinda changes the context, don't you think?

I understand your need to justify your position, but if you are going to quote the NY State Penal code, then you need to take the entire section instead of the portion that best suits your argument. And the NY State penal code on larceny alone contains over 2,700 words! Bottom line is the OP can now come out of hiding from the police......:rolleyes:

I would bet anything I have that any judge or prosecutor would find turning it in to the business owner a "reasonable measure", and very few if any, would find posting on message boards such.

But if it makes you feel better to defend OP who sees the cruise staff as lowly thieves who can't be trusted, then go ahead, keep thinking I'm wrong.

I would bet anything I have that any judge or prosecutor would find turning it in to the business owner a "reasonable measure", and very few if any, would find posting on message boards such.

Well, you'd certainly be a very poor man, but I'll give you credit for at least staying the course with your conviction ;)

I found a 3 carat diamond ring in the crevices of my safe many years ago when I took a Carnival cruise <gasp> and I turned it into Guest Services. I received a letter saying that the previous occupants on 3 cruises earlier had said it was missing. They were very happy. :). So was I.

Well, this was quite an interesting exercise in ethics! I'm glad to hear the happy ending. Turning in the item may have been the most proper thing to do, but no one can say the OP didn't do the right thing. He had pure intentions from the start and I'm sure the owner is very grateful.

Seriously! 2000+ people on this ship, I'd gander that less than 10% read cruise critic (and even fewer post). If its something of value, the person could be trying to contact NCL, but you kept it instead? :eek:

And really, I avoid being preachy on CC. But this one really surprises me. I hope it encourages the OP to at least call NCL and report it. I can't imagine OP told guest services during the cruise and was told to keep it until it was claimed.

There was a post on the Princess board a while back where someone left a ring underneath the felt in a safe. They posted asking if anyone was in that cabin, and lo and behold, someone was and got their ring for them.

Yes, and this is exactly why it wasn't returned. Because someone like you took it with them instead of turning it in.

He is trying to rile us and from what i can see he is succeeding.

Notice that 94% of his cruises are RCCL....Hellloooooo This guy is a johnny Rocketeer busting our portsides lets toss this thread away.

He is trying to rile us and from what i can see he is succeeding.

Notice that 94% of his cruises are RCCL....Hellloooooo This guy is a johnny Rocketeer busting our portsides lets toss this thread away.

We bow to your knowledge of all things CC. Please lead us through the valley of darkness that is NCL

This was my first cruise on NCL - my wife delivered our 1st child 1 year ago July 16th. Royal wanted to charge full price for our child and NCL was FREE -

anyway we LOVED it!! This is in spite of the fact I married into Diamond level on NCCL we already booked our next NCL cruise.

On a side note - my ONLY ONLY minor complaint would be the rooms on Royal are better - other than that

Service

Food

Service

Just spectacular -- My growing family will be on RCL many times in future.

This was my first cruise on NCL - my wife delivered our 1st child 1 year ago July 16th. Royal wanted to charge full price for our child and NCL was FREE -

anyway we LOVED it!! This is in spite of the fact I married into Diamond level on NCCL we already booked our next NCL cruise.

On a side note - my ONLY ONLY minor complaint would be the rooms on Royal are better - other than that

Service

Food

Service

Just spectacular -- My growing family will be on RCL many times in future.

Did you mean NCL?

Archived