Grey water - ewww - and no customer care

adera68

OP : What are your multiple reasons for declining the offered cabin?? :confused:

Is having grey water in your cabin just a cabin issue or is it an entire floor/deck issue?? (Odd that no one even asked if this was the reason why you declined)

One thing is for sure...plumbing issues on ships are not uncommon and it's really a nuisance. I'm sorry you experienced this.

OP : What are your multiple reasons for declining the offered cabin?? :confused:

Is having grey water in your cabin just a cabin issue or is it an entire floor/deck issue?? (Odd that no one even asked if this was the reason why you declined)

One thing is for sure...plumbing issues on ships are not uncommon and it's really a nuisance. I'm sorry you experienced this.

My first thoughts were the OP wanted an upgrade(to a better cabin) and didnt want to pack and move to a different cabin on the same deck

You only experienced it ONCE .. and that was enough to snub $88 from the onboard folks and to write here complaining you only got a small allowance.

If you know this happens on the lower floors as you state (not saying its true, you did) why keep booking the lowest deck and then demanding a higher deck you didnt pay for.

I usually am more sympathetic to problems .. but you only actually experienced it once.. never came back but just in case you decided to take showers at the spa.

And how much is this worth you think?

Did you all read her post?? The issue was never fixed. She took showers at the spa.

Do you all think $88 is enough to cover having grey (laundry/other people's bath~shower water/dishwashing water) water in your cabin???:confused: I'm curious. For me, I'd be upset...although I'd have at least TRIED another cabin...BUT after packing up a family and moving them, it would have to be that there was absolutely NO grey water flowing or I'd have been very upset.

We had the opposite situation on the Spirit, but it wasn't as drastic as a water situation. On day 3 we called to ask if someone could come to look at our A/C while we were in port that day as it wasn't getting cold enough. When we returned to the cabin, there was the little card saying they had been there and sure enough the A/C was much colder, so we were happy. A while later we got a call from customer support asking if we were happy with the fix and I said, yes, thank you very much, thinking that was the end of it, but she asked when the problem started, that day (#3) or when we embarked and walked in the cabin. I told her it was that way from day 1, but not a big problem at first because it's not very warm sailing from CA sometimes. So, she called back and said we would each get an OBC (a % of our fare) for 3 days of 'inconvenience' (totally unexpected). Then later we had a plate of choco covered strawberries delivered with a letter from someone apologizing for our inconvenience. And we also got a couple more calls over the rest of the cruise to make sure all was well and did we need anything else. I think Carnival went over and above on this one when all we wanted was the A/C fixed, which it was.

Did you all read her post?? The issue was never fixed. She took showers at the spa.

Do you all think $88 is enough to cover having grey (laundry/other people's bath~shower water/dishwashing water) water in your cabin???:confused: I'm curious. For me, I'd be upset...although I'd have at least TRIED another cabin...BUT after packing up a family and moving them, it would have to be that there was absolutely NO grey water flowing or I'd have been very upset.

she took showers at the spa because she didnt want to be bothered to move cabins

They tried to fix it by moving them (but they didnt feel like the hassle of packing)

And now she wants money because the cruiseline tried to fix it (and not happy with $88)

sorry no sympathy here

We've had that happen on ships where no cabins are available. PITA trudging through the ship to take a shower with all your shower stuff.

We've had sewer problems happen in cabin motels. At midnight. Lots of fun moving 5 people several cabins over. Makes a good travel story.

Yea I read it actually, all the way thru.

Happened once in the beginning and then the last day she said. In between she didnt shower there so OP has no idea if it continued to happen in between.

What did I miss? Usually I am sympathetic .. but seeing some water backflow once early on in the cruise and raising a fit .. and then not taking a shower there all week .. just in case, but OP actually doesnt know if it continued.. she says she saw it again at the end, ok. that is twice. She was not actually harmed nor did they touch it.. got away from it both times.

I find it hard to be sympathetic when OP refused to try moving to another cabin, said too much trouble, wanted a UPGRADE or nothing.

1. Rooms on the lowest floor tend to have the same problem since they are so close to the main gray water tank.

I was a crew member who lived on deck 0 mid-ship for multiple years..... Don't think the tank was above my cabin..... Never had a grey water issue. Using your logic all the crew cabins would have been flooded....

Because I have been through this problem on another cruise ship I chose to take my showers at the spa for the remainder of the cruise (and advised my kids to do the same or take very short showers, not right after each other). The only exception for me was the morning we returned to Boston. I was in the middle of washing my hair in our shower when I looked at the floor and saw the gray water drain flowing back into the bathroom. I rinsed my hair (did not get a chance to use conditioner), dressed and headed to the concierge. Now this also meant that my two teenagers could not shower before leaving the ship.

Needless to say after spending way too much time and energy explaining to the concierge that this was beyond disgusting, the problem was not fixed, and that this did a great job if ruining my vacation, I was offered an $88 credit.

Actually, she never tried the shower again until the day of debarkation. Since she does not mention there being a issue between the first time she noticed the issue and the last time, either her children did not use the shower, unlikely though, used the spa, which she did not mention, or there was no further issues until the day of embarkation.

In my opinion, since she did not take the cabin offered to her, nor did she report of any further issues, until debarkation, that the $88 is fair, they could have said no.

I was a crew member who lived on deck 0 mid-ship for multiple years..... Don't think the tank was above my cabin..... Never had a grey water issue. Using your logic all the crew cabins would have been flooded....

thanks for logic.

It sounded to me like the OP wanted to complain and either get money compensation or a free upgrade.

While I agree that it would be gross to have the grey water issue, I don't understand your sense of entitlement after a solution was offered and you refused. You claim that you "work in the industry and know what grey water is" but you still stayed in your cabin after being offered another cabin to move to.:confused: That doesn't make much sense to me. If you were as disgusted by it, as you claim you would've moved into the other cabin that was offered no matter how much of an inconvenience you say it would've been. Sounds to me like you were looking for either an upgrade or a refund of some sort as the only solutions to your issue. I'm not saying you didn't have the grey water issue, but I can't understand why you wouldn't have even moved to another cabin to see if that would've fixed the issue???:confused:

I am a Platinum Cruiser on Carnival (over 75 points/new program), as are both my kids.

Because I have been through this problem on another cruise ship I chose to take my showers at the spa for the remainder of the cruise (and advised my kids to do the same or take very short showers, not right after each other).

I've never experienced any grey water coming out of our shower. We usually have a cabin in one of the higher floors but I always take my showers in the spa after a morning workout. I never find it to be an inconvenience to enjoy the steam room and sauna too. The showers up in the spa are larger, have a higher ceiling and are never crowded. Plenty of extra large towels too.

We were on the Glory last summer for a 5 day Canadian cruise and we had a wonderful time and no grey water. Won a ship-on-a-stick too.

I went into the bathroom while my daughter was taking in a shower, and saw the gray water coming into the bathroom through a small drain beside the toilet (not the shower drain). .

You do know the small hole in the side by the toilet from the shower is an overflow drain from the shower to the floor drain in the main part of the bathroom?

It is normal for the floor to get wet bathroom when taking a shower, and the water will move around if the ship is moving, It will look like it is coming from behind the toilet.

Sometimes things don't get fixed. Public disabled toilet on inspiration was not fixed through a 4-day cruise in Jan. I complained to whoever I found in a housekeeping uniform. Nothing. I had to go to a different deck to find a disabled toilet that worked.

I wonder if that toilet on the promenade deck has been repaired yet?

I've actually had grey water back up in the bathroom before. It was on the last full day of our Christmas cruise on the Triumph in 2009 coming back across the Gulf to NOLA in 13 foot seas. We were Riviera in 1219 (also happened to be the sail date). I figured it was due to the excessive rocking due to the high seas keeping things from draining completely. It fixed itself and I wasn't too worried about it. I didn't dawn on me that I should have demanded compensation for it. :cool:

I also noticed this problem on the Riviera deck when I cruised on the Glory. The solution is to run the water only as long as needed, not all the time.

It never occurred to me to let this ruin my cruise and demand compensation. Thank goodness we have Cruise Critic to teach us these things!

Archived