Fresh fruit

stoneharborlady

On my last cruise, the most wonderful fresh fruit was offered in Horizon Court- pineapple to die for, strawberries, melons galore. It was all wonderful. Are they still offering these goodies?

There is always fresh fruit in HC; at all meals.

You can also request fruit in MDR for breakfast.

On my last cruise, the morning wait staff would have my solo table ready and within 5 minutes of sitting down I would have a skinny latte, two plates of cut fruit, and two grapefruit halves in front of me... (on Weight Watcher, fruit is free!). This was my idea of a real vacation!:). I am hoping for more of the same on my next cruise!

You can also request fruit in MDR for breakfast.

On my last cruise, the morning wait staff would have my solo table ready and within 5 minutes of sitting down I would have a skinny latte, two plates of cut fruit, and two grapefruit halves in front of me... (on Weight Watcher, fruit is free!). This was my idea of a real vacation!:). I am hoping for more of the same on my next cruise!

Mmmmm, grapefruit -- my favourite! And I eat a whole one every morning, too. I knew we were sisters from different mothers!

Mmmmm, grapefruit -- my favourite! And I eat a whole one every morning, too. I knew we were sisters from different mothers!

AND they cut it into segments!

I will need to inform my mother of her new addition...:)

AND they cut it into segments!

I will need to inform my mother of her new addition...:)

I find that I only eat grapefruit on a cruise... :p And I especially love stopping by the Horizon Court and getting a plate of pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew... and a little side of cottage cheese. Yum!

two grapefruit halves in front of me...

!

Except when you take BP pills. Then grapefruit is a no no. I do it eat occasionally; very occasionally. My BP went whacko many years ago from taking BC pills and it never went back to normal on its own.

Except when you take BP pills. Then grapefruit is a no no. I do it eat occasionally; very occasionally. My BP went whacko many years ago from taking BC pills and it never went back to normal on its own.

Also a no no with cholesterol meds. :(

Also a no no with cholesterol meds. :(

Thanks for the heads up. A little off topic, but good information. Googling shows there are a host of medications adversely affected by grapefruit. OTOH, if one is not taking the affected medications, there are a number of health benefits associated with grapefruit.

and once in a while in the MDR i've gotten papaya or mango at breakfast. yummm.

We had papaya a couple of times on the Golden in Alaska last week and it was actually ripe! (unlike some previous cruises when it was hard and green)

We had papaya a couple of times on the Golden in Alaska last week and it was actually ripe! (unlike some previous cruises when it was hard and green)
"Ingesting papaya enzymes and other parts of unripe papayas can potentially cause mouth irritation and inflammation or irritation of your esophagus, stomach and intestines -- particularly if you already have some damage to these tissues"

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/282861-papaya-enzymes-flatulence/#ixzz22DnKehWJ

and once in a while in the MDR i've gotten papaya or mango at breakfast. yummm.
African mango delays stomach emptying, which could alter the effects of prescription medications. The supplement also could increase side effects of medications that treat diabetes, high cholesterol and obesity.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/548137-adverse-effects-from-african-mango-extract/#ixzz22Do6Bevr

I am particularly nuts about berries ever since my success with the South Beach diet 7 years ago. Having just returned from a week aboard the Star Princess, I must report that this was one of the very few disappointments of my first cruise experience.

Fresh berries, even strawberries, were in short supply on our cruise. Breakfast on the Horizon Court offered none (I didn't learn about asking for grapefruit until the last morning). As a substitute, I probably had more berry tarts from the International Cafe than I care to admit. And each and every time I requested berries & cream or berries & sorbet at dessert I met with the "I am not sure, I must check with the chef/kitchen" routine. Pretty much only strawberries would then arrive and in veyr small portions.

I must concede that for me berries are the holy grail of fruit. IMHO, bananas are loaded with sugar, and melons have mostly water and sugar with little to offer in the benefits department. Also didn't see much of anything in the way peaches, nectarines, mango, or plums, even though most of these should be readily available almost anywhere in the Northern Hemishpere during July.

"Ingesting papaya enzymes and other parts of unripe papayas can potentially cause mouth irritation and inflammation or irritation of your esophagus, stomach and intestines -- particularly if you already have some damage to these tissues"

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/282861-papaya-enzymes-flatulence/#ixzz22DnKehWJ

African mango delays stomach emptying, which could alter the effects of prescription medications. The supplement also could increase side effects of medications that treat diabetes, high cholesterol and obesity.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/548137-adverse-effects-from-african-mango-extract/#ixzz22Do6Bevr

well don't you like to rain on my parade.

Archived