Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

plynn

It really doesn't matter if you're docked at Coxen or Mahogany as far as getting around in Roatan. You're able to go to where you want in Roatan from either.

While in the past, we have totally enjoyed taking catamaran snorkel excursions, going to Tabyana Beach, etc., we just went to the beach at Mahogany Bay on our last port stop there and had a great time. No, it's not the "real" Roatan, but it was very nice. :)

• 1 month later...
Im definately trust you all that Roatan beautiful so we will do a scenic drive tour of the island and looking very much forward to this....any ideas where else to eat lunch or sit somewhere having a cocktail listening to the island music?

The first time we went to Roatan we docked at the old port. Streets were dirt/mud, children trying to sell us items for $1, but we found a "bar" of all things right there and stopped in to have the best pina colada we have ever had. The seats at the bar tables were old office chairs. It was right on the shore and we sat there and watch naked kids jumping off the dock into the water. Classic Carribean.

I have heard that Ronys tours is a wonderful private tour company to book. They will take you anywhere and do anything you would like.

We use Victor Bodden tours and they will also do whatever you like .I cannot speak of Ronys but highly recommend Victors tours

We are planning a cruise on the Conquest in March, 2013. One of the ports will be Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan. Can you tell me anything about this place? Thanks for your help!

It's new, opened shortly after November 21, 2009. Carnival made a nice little set up. However if you want a true aspect of the beauty of Rotan be sure to venture out to the taxi stands and get a tour of the island and be sure to visit one of the nice "non Carnival" beache. It's a beautiful island. The West side of the island is the more uppity side of the island. Taxi drivers will stay with you for the entire time and have a very reasonable cost.

I've posted some pictures I took on my first trip to Roatan back in 2009 on the below links on another Rotan thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35449390&postcount=10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35451327&postcount=16

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35451356&postcount=17

When we went (this past May), we made it a beach day. No mosquitos, no pesky insects, just a beautiful beach. The swimming area is very nice, and there's also an area for snorkeling. If you're not interested in taking any tours, this a great place to just relax and have an "ahhh" day.:)

I agree. We were there a month ago and it was our favorite port. Just a beautiful place, reminded me of the Corona commercials. BTW--the best snorkeling is past the pier, there's not much in the main swimming area.

• 1 year later...
This is our favorite Western Port now!! We have used Victor Bodden every time and it's been fantastic.

Our son loves going to a local school and then on to play with the monkeys.

Private driver for the day through Bodden Tours lets you really see the island not the tourist parks.

We are visiting here the last week in April. We are looking for a local tour that is historical. We'd like to experience the life of the locals. I noticed you visited a school. Which Bodden tour was this?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We rented kayaks within the Mahogany Bay area and were able to get away from the crowds. The cruise center really isn't big enough for 2 ships, especially now that people are realizing that Roatan isn't the safest place to venture into.