Milestone Hotel or Dorchester Hotel ?

Next year we are considering a cruise that leaves from the port of Dover and plan to spend a night or two in London. We did that a few years ago and found London to be one of the best cities we have ever been to. The people are so helpful and friendly. Your doing a great job with the Olympics, wish we were there now.

The cruise line offers a pre-cruise stay at the Dorchester, and the Milestone has a pre-cruise package that they offer, which we would do on our own. They are both outstanding hotels, and we would like to get some feedback as to which one to chose. We love to walk and plan to see a play at West End. Any suggestions on a play or hotels are appreciated. Thanks Steve

As on another thread about The Dorchester, they're way out of my league (aaaaah, shame :D).

The Dorchester has the prestigious name & location, I'd never heard of the Milestone. And the Dorchester is also closer to most of London's sights & theatres, and walkable to many, although there's a tube station handy to the Milestone. On those points, the Dorchester scores heavily. But of course there are many other considerations.

On this map, Milestone is at A, the Dorchester at B

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Milestone+Hotel,+Kensington+Court,+London&daddr=Park+Ln%2FA4202&hl=en&ll=51.505911,-0.158358&spn=0.036702,0.08832&sll=51.507106,-0.15177&sspn=0.004588,0.01104&geocode=FVXaEQMdzSX9_yn3xuuJWAV2SDF6rOwI5IlVkg%3BFSvvEQMdoav9_w&oq=Dorchester+Hotel&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&t=m&z=14

BTW, I'm guessing that it's called "Milestone" cos it's about a mile outside the 18th Century tollgate which marked the edge of London.

London has grown somewhat since then ;)

JB :)

Wow, tough choice, but nice to be in the position to make it :) Like our other posters, I haven't stayed at either hotel, but I have at least heard of the Milestone!

Two very different hotels, albeit both at the top end of the London market. The Dorchester is a fairly large, 1930s built hotel and has all the tradition you would expect. The Milestone is more recent (as a hotel, not the buildings, which are older, if you see what I mean) and is a much smaller 'boutique' hotel. Both no doubt offer first class luxury, so the style might be the deciding factor? The Milestone is a bit further out of the West End for the theatres, but you have Kensington and Knightsbrige to explore.

Sorry not to be more help. For what it's worth, given the choice I'd stay at the Dorch if I was on business and the Milestone for a romantic break. But it's not a choice I'm ever likely to have to make :(

We stayed a week the year before last at the "MILESTONE" post cruise..One of the most amazing hotels (and I've stayed at many) that I have enjoyed...It was rated #1 for hotels with under 100 rooms by Travel & Leisure magazine for 2011..It's a great location on Kensington Court just a short walk (less than 5 min) to the Kensington High Street tube..lot's of shopping and restaurants and across the street from Hyde Park..Staying at this hotel was like staying at an english manor house.. We had a king room that just happened to have an additional small bedroom and the bathroom was jaw dropping..We felt like and were treated like we were the only guests... unparalleled VIP treatment from the minute we walked through the door..rose petals on the bed, champagne, candles every where,3-4 staff scurrying to open the door for you as you ventured out each day..handing you an umbrella..just in case..they just couldn't seem to do enough to ensure your stay with them was unforgettable and that they did !!...One of the few times I have ever "HATED" to leave a hotel to go home...This hotel won't disappoint, it will spoil you for any where you will ever stay again !!!!!

I was thinking about this overnight, even before I saw Ashland's input, and was going to say, stay at the Milestone :) There are luxury international hotels like the Dorchester in many cities, but the Milestone sounds as if it offers something more intimate and unique. The only trouble is, many people might not have heard of it!

Have a great time in our great city!

I find it very surprising that so few of you UK'ers have never heard of this amazing jewel of a hotel in the "MILESTONE" you have to offer those of us from across the pond :D:D...Check out this wonderful property if you have the chance by just walking in the door and ask for a tour...You are correct the Dorchester type of hotel can be found in many cities..the MILESTONE cannot ;)

Thank you everyone for all you input, we really appreciate it. Both of these hotels are out of our league as well, but we save up for years so that we can experience, for a week or two, the lifestyles of the rich and famous. My wife and I always say that on all of our trips we are the poorest ones in the hotel or on the cruise. Our friends and and family think we are are nuts to spend for one night what it takes us weeks to make. We do enjoy life though and have been truely blessed. Steve

Hey Steve, Personally I think the Milestone is much nicer. But if you want to be able to walk to some West End shows, I’d pick the Dorchester since it’s closer to the Picadilly area. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Milestone last spring for our anniversary, and it’s such a fantastic hotel. The staff goes out of its way to predict your needs and the building is very historic and beautifully updated. There are some good photos of it here (and you can book too): http://www.easyvoyage.co.uk/experts/the-milestone-hotel-93522. But if you do stay at the Dorchester, other commenters are right; you’re in for a nice trip either way. -Daren

Archived