long lasting and waterproof makeup

bowsprit

What do you recommend?

I want waterproof so that it does not run down my face in a pool:o

and I want the long lasting stuff so that I do not have to carry refreshers with me.

so what works for you? Please let me know if it is long lasting or waterproof or both.

eye shadows

eyeliners

mascara

foundation

blush

lipstick

are you talking about "all over your face" makeup or just eyes, lips.

Urban Decay makes a great eyemakeup primer to keep shadow/liner in place. Use with a waterproof mascara.

Lots of choices for long lasting lipcolor now.

If you are going somewhere hot, i would skip foundation and just use a good waterproof sunscreen.

Urban Decay 24/7 glide pencils are amazing for staying on. They work as eye makeup, eyeliner and could even be brow.

I love the Urban Decay 24/7 glide pencils, best eyeliner ever and some really great colors too. Best of all though, they really do "glide" when you use them, no tugging or pulling at all. I didn't think they would be long lasting because they go on so easily, but they stay put all day. Highly recommend.

I guess I'm different at the pool (rare occasion), I just can't imagine wearing any makeup at all. Sunscreen, SPF lip balm, sunglasses and visor. If we're on a shore excursion and it's hot I'll wear only a bit of eye makeup and tinted lip balm with an SPF, nothing on my face except sunscreen. It just all melts off no matter what when it's hot.

I do wear Lancome waterproof mascara on my bottom lashes, but that's every day.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I guess that I did not make it clear about when I would wear these products.

If I do not put on Mascara and some sort of eyebrow pencil then I am so pale as to look hairless. lol

So yep, even going to a beach I want to wear the eye makeup. Not eye shadow, that I reserve for evening wear. I usually wear a foundation only on formal nights, and then I use the Chanel foundation that you can apply wet or dry.

I like to keep lipstick on, as it keeps my lips from feeling dry.

That is the problem with most of the 12 and 18 hour lipsticks that I have tried up to now, as they also make my lips feel and look flaky, so wondered if anyone had found a brand that did not take two applications and kept your lips feeling moist.

At this time this is what I do to try to give lasting color to my brows. Now I am NOT telling you to try this, I am not recommending that you try it. I am just telling you what I do.

I was complaining about my lack of brow color one day and a friends husband said; " why don't you use the Just for men mustache dye".

So I got one in the dark Blonde and put Vaseline on my eyelids, then I carefully mixed up a small amount and brushed it in. I tried the 5 min at first, but found that for me, I need about 7 min for it to really give color. This lasts for a few weeks, gradually lightening up as hairs drop out and are replaced by my fair ones. But I am still dealing with thinning eyebrows, and on long trips I still end up pale blonde after a couple of weeks.

I have just found a product in a book that says that you brush it on and it somehow adds small fibers to your brows so that not only are they darker, but thicker too.

The book I found it in was called :Soft Surroundings.

And they seem to be online also. The product is advertised as;

" Wunder-brow, Beautiful brows that last for days" the product number is 04030

I will try the recommendations for the eyeliner pencils, I usually try to find a waterproof one in a liquid, because the pencils drag so much.

That was a neat trick about the hair spray. We used to just lightly mist water on our faces.

I was told years ago that putting one of the lip balms on before you applied your lipstick stopped it from 'feathering"

Other than that, my only tip is that I use sweet almond oil on my hands and face for a moisturizer when traveling, and olive oil the rest of the time.

bowsprit,

I have the Wunder-Brow, ordered from Soft Surroundings and I hate it! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it takes forever for me to get it on properly and if I make a mistake and have to take some off I have to use the remover which is oily and then the Wunder-Brow won't go back on over it. I find it to be just a big mess. But if your primary objective is to find something that will stay on, then this stuff definitely works.

I have thin eye bows and like both the Estee Lauder Automatic Brow Pencil or Smasbox Brow Tech. Both seem to stay on in the water unless you rub your eye borws. The Estee Lauder is easier and quicker to apply but sometime the Smashbox looks more natural.

Other than that and sun screen I don't worry about makeup while in the water.

I use mineral makeup daily.

Mary Lou

bowsprit,

I have the Wunder-Brow, ordered from Soft Surroundings and I hate it! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it takes forever for me to get it on properly and if I make a mistake and have to take some off I have to use the remover which is oily and then the Wunder-Brow won't go back on over it. I find it to be just a big mess. But if your primary objective is to find something that will stay on, then this stuff definitely works.

Thank you for stopping me from wasting $20. I guess I will go back to dying my brows with the mens mustache dye:D

I will have to give the Smashbox products a try.

I use the smashbox brow tech, but it comes off in the water. I also have Stila eyebrow pen and it says waterproof, but comes off fairly easily during swimming. I think the only "real" solution for those of us without eyebrows is permanent make up and I'm too afraid to do that.

I wish I had enough brows to dye, I just don't have hair from the center to the outside of my brow. :(

I used to think that I had no eyebrows until I started having them tinted at the salon. I have HUGE eyebrows! I would never in a million years use at-home dye anywhere near my eyes. Have you considered spending $20 to have your brows tinted? At the same time you can have your eyelashes tinted so you don't need to worry as much about mascara. I had the lashes tinted once and it was a bit uncomfortable to sit while the dye took effect, but it wasn't painful and I liked the results. It only lasts about 3 weeks so is best to have it done right before your vacation.

For my face I use a tinted sunscreen by SkinCeuticals (I purchase from my dermatologist). It says on very well through sweat (trust me, I live in Atlanta) and I've never had to run in my eyes.

For lips I now use a tinted balm. Gives a bit of colour but leaves the lips really well moisturised, PLUS it has sunscreen.

I used to think that I had no eyebrows until I started having them tinted at the salon. I have HUGE eyebrows! I would never in a million years use at-home dye anywhere near my eyes. Have you considered spending $20 to have your brows tinted? At the same time you can have your eyelashes tinted so you don't need to worry as much about mascara. I had the lashes tinted once and it was a bit uncomfortable to sit while the dye took effect, but it wasn't painful and I liked the results. It only lasts about 3 weeks so is best to have it done right before your vacation.

For my face I use a tinted sunscreen by SkinCeuticals (I purchase from my dermatologist). It says on very well through sweat (trust me, I live in Atlanta) and I've never had to run in my eyes.

For lips I now use a tinted balm. Gives a bit of colour but leaves the lips really well moisturised, PLUS it has sunscreen.

Yep, tried, but the colorist said "nothing there to tint!" Trust me! I'd love to spend $20 to tint, but it only works if you have hair there. I had them when I was younger, but menopause pretty much did them in. :mad:

Just a suggestion -- if there is a day spa or dermatology clinic nearby, see if they do eyelash tinting. It is a quick process and very inexpensive (I pay $15 and it lasts for weeks). I can relate to the person who mentioned pale brows and lashes -- mine too! I have permanent makeup (brows, eyeliner, lip liner) and with an eyelash tint, I am ready for any cruise in any weather! I find that waterproof mascaras are hard to remove, so I prefer eyelash tinting by a professional (definitely NOT to be done at home!).

Seems like I did read about possible skin reactions/irritation with an MRI -- due to the iron oxide pigment in the tattoo, but I haven't had any personal experience with it. But definitely something to be aware of, good point.

"I was complaining about my lack of brow color one day and a friends husband said; " why don't you use the Just for men mustache dye".

So I got one in the dark Blonde and put Vaseline on my eyelids, then I carefully mixed up a small amount and brushed it in. I tried the 5 min at first, but found that for me, I need about 7 min for it to really give color. This lasts for a few weeks, gradually lightening up as hairs drop out and are replaced by my fair ones. But I am still dealing with thinning eyebrows, and on long trips I still end up pale blonde after a couple of weeks."

I have dyed my eyebrows with my hair dye MANY times over the years. After I get done applying the dye to my hair I just use my finger or an old comb and brush it on my brows. Never had a problem with it getting in or near my eyes at all (I do mix my own color and use a gel/liquid combo) and the tint comes out great. And since my dye is permanent it last for a really long time.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you looking for a long-lasting, waterproof foundation, I got a sample of the Kat von D Lock-It Tattoo foundation. It's ultra-full coverage (I have concealer that doesn't cover as well) and stays on really well.

Personally, I think I'll only use it as concealer, but it went on nicely. It does seem to oxidize/darken once it's dry, and has no SPF though.

I have dyed my eyebrows with my hair dye MANY times over the years. After I get done applying the dye to my hair I just use my finger or an old comb and brush it on my brows. Never had a problem with it getting in or near my eyes at all (I do mix my own color and use a gel/liquid combo) and the tint comes out great. And since my dye is permanent it last for a really long time.

Same here, I do understand the need to be extremely careful with any dye around the face, but the mustache dye is as think if not thicker than the hair dyes we use there days. They do not run. I would use the hair dye, but I want my eyebrows a little darker than my hair color. lol

Thanks to whomever for reminding me about the eyelash dyes.

When I was growing up you could actually buy this and do it at home. I used it for many years. As it was marketed for home use, I can only surmise that it was relatively safe.

I never had a problem with it.

But these days the idea of sitting in a chair and letting someone else do it sounds great.

As for "waterproof" I have used darn near every waterproof eye shadow with very limited results. it always smudges on me. Cost does not seem to matter, I have used Chanel with poor results as well as Rimmel.

I also have the sparse eyebrows, so would really love to find a good eyebrow pencil or powder that will not run.

Perhaps I will give the salon dying a try.

Archived