Alaska Green Jeep Tour - Skagway

FunShipCruiser05

Has anyone does this? Rented a jeep for 160/day and have the jeep at your will in skagway? I see the ship jeep tour is 150 a person and by doing this, saves around 50/person by doing on our own and having no strict time limit. Plus they prove drinks, snacks, cooler, maps, etc. Has anyone does this self navigation, as skagway is not that difficult?

alaskagreenjeeptours.com

From Bonvoyagie:

I have not done this- but I did see the organized Jeep tour along the Klondike Hy - seemed like a waste of $ - your really don't need a Jeep as there is no place you really need one - all the roads you can drive on are paved - if you get off the road you are on first nation land or private property - not reccomended. Skagway is easy to navigate and most of the newer attractions are on the Klondike Hy on the northeast end of town. The big trick is timing your stops around the buses and other tour groups - if you do that the drive to Carcross is wonderful.

S0 yeah somewhere along the line my thread posted in someone else's thread last night by some odd reason, so I reposted every thing here.

Now bonvoyagie, why do you say it seems like a waste of money? I mean how else would there be other than a cruise ship excursion to see some of these places and sightseeing? planning everything perfect around the tours on the route is key? Will there be a holdup on the roads with guided tour groups involved?

S0 yeah somewhere along the line my thread posted in someone else's thread last night by some odd reason, so I reposted every thing here.

Now bonvoyagie, why do you say it seems like a waste of money? I mean how else would there be other than a cruise ship excursion to see some of these places and sightseeing? planning everything perfect around the tours on the route is key? Will there be a holdup on the roads with guided tour groups involved?

The guided jeep, ship tours, are a high cost "follow the leader". Nothing I would ever recommend.

Are you planning on off roading? If not, then the Klondike Highway can simply be driven with a cheaper rental car. Allow 5 hours for a 150 mile round trip. "Necessary", in my opinion, is Murray's guide.

With the jeep rental, also be sure to get out and drive the Dyea Road, well worth the time.

I think it would only be worth the cost if you are truly going to drive places where you cannot take a regular rental car. We rented a car from Avis for $106, with taxes and all it came to about $120. We bought our own snacks at the local market for about $10. The Avis guy gave us a map, and we had Murray's Guide ($5) on my Kindle.

I also agree that the organized jeep tours would be a waste of money. We saw them all driving together... or all stopped together so someone could use the outhouse. What's the point of having your own jeep if you are tied to the needs to the group? Might as well just be on a tour bus. :rolleyes:

im sure glad i read these forums and ask people here before i jump on impulse to book excursions, saves a lot of headaches.

But I do wonder, someone had mentioned before, about planning the timing just right as there are organized tours along the way. Is there a traffic hold up at all anywhere, or even at the border if crossing the border? I'm also thinking the jeep rental place could give pointers where to go offroading. Of course id never go where the surface looks so soft where can get stuck, or tight areas where could get stuck. I do wonder how many people have ever had that happen, getting stuck and missing the ship because stuck all day and night somewhere ha.

I think it would only be worth the cost if you are truly going to drive places where you cannot take a regular rental car. We rented a car from Avis for $106, with taxes and all it came to about $120. We bought our own snacks at the local market for about $10. The Avis guy gave us a map, and we had Murray's Guide ($5) on my Kindle.

I also agree that the organized jeep tours would be a waste of money. We saw them all driving together... or all stopped together so someone could use the outhouse. What's the point of having your own jeep if you are tied to the needs to the group? Might as well just be on a tour bus. :rolleyes:

and im not a huge believer in the ship's "guarantee" as for reasons to do ship guided tours. I know i'll make the ship boarding leaving skagway and I know I wont get hurt while out on my own.. I do love how they plant into people's heads every cruise for the last 20 plus years that independent tours are so risky and dangerous

But I do wonder, someone had mentioned before, about planning the timing just right as there are organized tours along the way. Is there a traffic hold up at all anywhere, or even at the border if crossing the border?

No traffic to speak of. Crossing the border into Canada was quite slow. They had one lane for passenger cars and one for buses and trucks. It seemed like they would let 2-3 buses through, then one car, then several more buses. When we pulled up, there were only a handful of cars ahead of us, but we probably waited 20 minutes to get through. Coming back was not an issue.

The real "traffic" is at the scenic turnouts, such as the "Welcome to the Yukon" sign, Emerald Lake, etc. Sometimes these turnouts would have 1-2 big buses and additional smaller coaches, like Chilkoot's or Dyea Dave's. Not only can it be difficult to find a place to park, but it can be nearly impossible to get a good photo while 100+ other tourists are trying to do the same. Try to get ahead of the buses to avoid the crowds, or hit those scenic spots on the way back down in the afternoon, when there seemed to be fewer buses stopped.

No traffic to speak of. Crossing the border into Canada was quite slow. They had one lane for passenger cars and one for buses and trucks. It seemed like they would let 2-3 buses through, then one car, then several more buses. When we pulled up, there were only a handful of cars ahead of us, but we probably waited 20 minutes to get through. Coming back was not an issue.

The real "traffic" is at the scenic turnouts, such as the "Welcome to the Yukon" sign, Emerald Lake, etc. Sometimes these turnouts would have 1-2 big buses and additional smaller coaches, like Chilkoot's or Dyea Dave's. Not only can it be difficult to find a place to park, but it can be nearly impossible to get a good photo while 100+ other tourists are trying to do the same. Try to get ahead of the buses to avoid the crowds, or hit those scenic spots on the way back down in the afternoon, when there seemed to be fewer buses stopped.

5 hours is enough time to it for stopping at a bunch of key points? Im thinking 75 miles each way is about an hour 45 mins each way.. plus any wait time at the border

So i'm going to run with this excursion, use the jeep adventure as an all day adventure and not do Haines. Was just weary on seeing wildlife going up and into the yukon but a lot of research on here has told me that I should see a good amount of wildlife, even up close, plus plenty of breathtaking scenic stuff. I just feel Haines is more notorious for that, but ill take the chance with the yukon and go at my own leisure for the entire day. plus, 175 for the entire day for 2 of us, cant go wrong

We rented a car from avis in skagway and drove the highway to Carcross.

Had an awesome time. we stopped and took alot of pictures so we never really had any issues with running into buses etc. Most of the time we were in the road all by ourselves. We are doing it again in three weeks.

We could stop where and when we wanted and never had a wait at the border or any where else for that matter. We stopped and took pictures of a mama bear and her cubs right along the road. Eagles, sheep, and more bears. I am truly hoping this will be the same but if not the wildlife the scenery is unexlainable. I am a control freak so I can;t do the excursions where I need to follow a group so this was the best fit. One road up and the same road back, no chance of getting lost, and stop when you want. Either way you will have a great time. For the three of us in a rental car it is 103.00 coming down to 34.00 each and will have plenty of time for shopping after our drive.;)

Have a couple Green Jeeps reserved for 8 of us for Sept.8 off the Island Princess. We rented a car last time and had a blast. Just wanted something different and have freinds along this time. Tour at your own pace, stop when and where you want, for as long as you want.

We'll be taking one of their jeeps out on Aug 16th. I called Avis one day to check prices and they a few cars left. Called the next day to book and they sold out. Sourdough had rentals for $80 a day but didn't like the reviews I've read. So we're going with Alaska Green Jeep.

We won't even have it the full day. Gotta salmon fish that morning. :) Money's not everything though.

if ur comparing penny to penny.. sure renting a car at avis could be the way to go if any cars left for your date. Alaska Green Jeeps person tells me shes selling out almost all her dates all summer long and into the fall, and i took 1 of 2 two door jeeps left for the date im in town. No 4 door jeeps were left but that is fine, only 2 of us. Jeep can be a fun way and a little more roomier than a car if 4 or 5 people.

But I will say, she did tell me last night they are losing a half hour of daylight a week it seems starting recently each week. So come mid september, it may be dark around 7-8pm and she would need the jeeps back around 630-7pm which she will determine at that time, because she needs to get the vehicles washed and cleaned up for the next morning before it gets dark. So renting in the afternoon, if anyone is considering after a morning/midday tour doing something else in skagway, could be a disadvantage and cut your time short if they want the vehicle back at a certain time that you may not expect. So I decided to take it the whole day and enjoy the entire day with it

We'll be taking one of their jeeps out on Aug 16th. I called Avis one day to check prices and they a few cars left. Called the next day to book and they sold out. Sourdough had rentals for $80 a day but didn't like the reviews I've read. So we're going with Alaska Green Jeep.

We won't even have it the full day. Gotta salmon fish that morning. :) Money's not everything though.

Us too - Same day.

Randy

We did rent through Green Jeep in Skagway and would highly recommend it! Fantastic service and the extras including Murray's guide really made it a good deal we thought! Lots of beverages and snacks. You leave the Jeep at the Pier when you are done. A great way to drive to the Yukon and Dyea. We had a great experience with this company and a great day in Skagway! :D

• 2 weeks later...
We did rent through Green Jeep in Skagway and would highly recommend it! Fantastic service and the extras including Murray's guide really made it a good deal we thought! Lots of beverages and snacks. You leave the Jeep at the Pier when you are done. A great way to drive to the Yukon and Dyea. We had a great experience with this company and a great day in Skagway! :D

Something about... they come get the driver of the vehicle and the other passengers have to wait at the cruise ship for you to return with the vehicle? they only have a few seats on their vehicle? Anyone know about this?

Yes, I believe they pick up all the various drivers of the groups of people renting jeeps from them that day. Then, once the rental paperwork is taken care of, the jeep is yours for the day and you can return to the ship to pick up the rest of your party. The "tour" part in the name GREEN JEEP TOURS is mis-leading....they just rent jeeps, they don't conduct tours or provide guides. They have 4 seater and 5 seater jeeps available to rent.

We do have a reservation with them next Spring and in our correspondance the owner told me they are moving their office location over the winter, so there is a chance that their current procedure will be different next summer????

The owner had been very helpful with me and I am sure will answer any questions you might have if you go to their website.

Just did this about two weeks ago. Was a lot of fun, yes they pick up the driver at the ship,then after the paperwork is done you drive back to pick up your party.

I had my wife and daughter, the best part Is you are in charge . You don't have to wait for 50 people to get back on the bus. You stop when you want, go as fast or slow as you want. We took from about 8 am to 3:30.

The jeep was clean, and in good shape. They do give you a small cooler, with soda, water, and some candy,chips, and also a copy of Murray's guide.

Drop off was also easy,

Ask any questions

they should provide a cold cut sandwich... i mean i dont know how many drinks, like enough for 1 drink each person thats in the jeep or 2 each, couple bags of chips... if thats the case, people would still be hungry and what is there to eat up around the lake or the ideal turn around spot? i head the restaurant up there is garbage. thinking of going further north to whitehorse and snoop around

• 5 months later...

Jeeps are nice depending on what time of year you go. If you go in May or June there will be a chance of snow in the pass, and of course, there's always a chance for rain. I think the advantage of the 4-wheel drive is worth the extra few bucks-- plus, you get a narrated dvd that explains each stop along with a nice map. Avis cars are good, but they sit low to the ground and they don't give you that adventurous feel. Also, I am pretty sure you are not allowed to take them to Dyea or the Chilkoot Trail head. The jeeps will let you!

Archived