Excursion Suggestions

mallen1683

Hi everybody!

My fiance and I are getting married on the Magic in March.....this will be the first cruise for both of us so we are really excited! We are trying to decide what excursions to do for Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel....there are so many options! I have a slight fear of not making it back to the ship on time and getting left lol. I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions of excursions they have done in these ports that they think stand out above the rest??

Hi everybody!

My fiance and I are getting married on the Magic in March.....this will be the first cruise for both of us so we are really excited! We are trying to decide what excursions to do for Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel....there are so many options! I have a slight fear of not making it back to the ship on time and getting left lol. I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions of excursions they have done in these ports that they think stand out above the rest??

Congrats on your up and coming wedding...but more importantly...your first cruise.....lol....(just kidding).

Can you tell us what kind of people you are???? Adventurous...beach going....etc.

I'm not extremely adventurous....my fiance is more adventurous than I am. For example....zip lining does not appeal to me AT ALL! LOL We just want to have fun and relax.

Have never been to Grand Cayman...but have been to Jamaica and Cozumel...I will give you a beach idea for both.

Jamaica...do not venture out on your own...some spots can be dangerous. (not all). In the port ...there are shuttle buses. Go to the one for Dr. Caves Beach. You can google their website. Margarittaville is also right there....The shuttle buses will be lined up to take everyone back to the ship.

Unfortunately....Cozumel has soooo many GREAT beaches.

Some are all inclusive ...$50pp ...food and alcohol

Some are not.

If you do not want all inclusive...(pay as you go) We love Paradise Beach. (google to see their website). This is our favorite. $2 admission. Pay as you go. Hubby and I cannot eat and drink $100 worth, so this works out great for us. Beautiful beach...brand new built in pool on the beach...restaurant/bars/shops/clean rest rooms.

To get here....follow the signs in the port for TAXI/Shuttles. (you can't miss it) Take a TAXI.....cheaper and you don't have to wait for the shuttles to fill up...10 minute easy drive $14.

When you are ready to return (boo hoo) all of the taxis and shuttles will be lined up in the parking lot to take you back to the port.:o

Have never been to Grand Cayman...but have been to Jamaica and Cozumel...I will give you a beach idea for both.

Jamaica...do not venture out on your own...some spots can be dangerous. (not all). In the port ...there are shuttle buses. Go to the one for Dr. Caves Beach. You can google their website. Margarittaville is also right there....The shuttle buses will be lined up to take everyone back to the ship.

Unfortunately....Cozumel has soooo many GREAT beaches.

Some are all inclusive ...$50pp ...food and alcohol

Some are not.

If you do not want all inclusive...(pay as you go) We love Paradise Beach. (google to see their website). This is our favorite. $2 admission. Pay as you go. Hubby and I cannot eat and drink $100 worth, so this works out great for us. Beautiful beach...brand new built in pool on the beach...restaurant/bars/shops/clean rest rooms.

To get here....follow the signs in the port for TAXI/Shuttles. (you can't miss it) Take a TAXI.....cheaper and you don't have to wait for the shuttles to fill up...10 minute easy drive $14.

When you are ready to return (boo hoo) all of the taxis and shuttles will be lined up in the parking lot to take you back to the port.:o

Thank you for all the info!! That definitely sounds like something more along the lines of something we would want to do. I thought about doing the dolphin excursions, but I've heard they are really expensive.

Thank you for all the info!! That definitely sounds like something more along the lines of something we would want to do. I thought about doing the dolphin excursions, but I've heard they are really expensive.

No problem....but hang in there...other people will give you a lot more ideas.:o

I agree with the recommendation of a beach day in Cozumel. We went to Chankanaab Park and had a great day. It is a short cab ride from the pier.

On Grand Cayman you should look at a visit to Stingray City. It's a shallow sand bar in the middle of the bay and the stingrays will come up and swim around you. It is amazing to watch them fly through the water and they even brush your legs as they swim by. We went with NativeWay on the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour. We went to Stingray City, snorkeling and then to Rum Point for lunch and time to relax. They had us back to the ship with time to spare for some shopping.

Our pictures from Cozumel are here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/113053822212229957735/Day6Cozumel?authuser=0&feat=directlink

And our pictures from GC are here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/113053822212229957735/Day3GrandCayman?authuser=0&feat=directlink

We will be on the Magic in February, but we have done those islands several times before.

In Jamaica we went zip-lining, so I am really no help there. We are going ziplining again in February because my mother in law wants to try it.

In Grand Cayman, we have done Sting Ray City several times. The last one we did was with Fat Fish Adventures and it was a jet ski tour. It was awesome, but it is probably for people who are a little more adventurous. When we go in February we are doing the Ray, Reef & Rum Point excursion with Nativeway. Both sets of our parents are going with us and we know that the jet skis would be to much for them.

In Cozumel we have done several different things. The last time we did a dune buggy excursion through Carnival. It was a lot of fun. It included lunch and snorkeling also. We did a discover scuba excursion one year, deep sea fishing another year and one year we just walked around and shopped a little and then came back and hung by the pool on the ship where it was very quiet and peaceful since everyone else was off the ship. We haven't decided what we are doing in February when we go yet.

The Stingray thing sounds cool! I'll have to look into that for sure! I think that it would be cool to stay on the ship at one of the ports just to be able to enjoy it without all of the people....i just don't know which port to do that on.

The Stingray thing sounds cool! I'll have to look into that for sure! I think that it would be cool to stay on the ship at one of the ports just to be able to enjoy it without all of the people....i just don't know which port to do that on.

Jamaica

In Jamaica, we did the Jungle River Tubing excursion, book through Carnival for safety's sake. It was awesome. Bus ride up the mountain, tube down the river then bumpy truck ride back to the beginning rive spot. They sell food and drinks right there.

Definately go see the Stingrays on Grand Cayman! We took a waverunner tour there then they took us to a snorkel spot. We had a great time, much better than going out to see the stingrays on an overpacked boat! We booked it here http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaverunner.htm

On Cozumel, definitely do an all-inclusive or go to Paradise Beach as someone above suggested. We went to Mr. Sanchos and loved it but next time we're going to try Paradise Beach.

Jamaica, I've only been on a land vacation many many years ago and all I can say is that would be the port to stay on the ship OR book a Carnival excursion. Don't venture out on your own!!

Enjoy!

In Grand Cayman, we love http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tours.htm We do the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour. It's a good deal because lunch is included.

In Cozumel, we go to http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

In Jamaica, Magic goes to MoBay...yes? If so, I can't help you there. Never been to MoBay.

I would take a look at the threads on the "Caribbean" Forum on the Ports of Calls. There is a separate forum for the Caymans, Jamaica and Cozumel. You should be able to get some great ideas of various excursions/tours/guides available in each port.

BTW, there are lots of good, reputable private guides in Jamaica--and I learned about them by reading the "Jamaica" forum here on CC. We did a tour with Peat Taylor in Ocho Rios that was excellent. So there's no need to hide out on the boat or pay for an expensive Carnival excursion when you are in Jamaica.

We've done all 3 ports several times. In Jamaica, we've climbed Dunn's River Falls, gone tubing on a river, and gone to Sunset Beach Resort. We did the falls and tubing through Shoretrips dot com, and Sunset Beach through their website.

In Grand Cayman we've done the stingrays twice, (you have to kiss a stingray every 7 years for good luck), once on Captain Marvin's boat, and once on jet skis, both booked through Shoretrips. We did a pirate ship excursion once with our DGD.

In Coz, we've done dolphins twice, once at Chankanaab, once at Dolphinaris, we've done mini subs, (so James Bond), Paradise Beach, ATVs through the jungle, snorkeling at The Money Bar, Segway and Snorkel, Playa Uvas Beach. We've booked through Carnival, Shoretrips and Cozumel Watersports dot com.

We're in our 60s and still doing all this stuff.

Tubing the river sounds fun! That would probably be something we would be interested in for sure! I'll have to look into that! Yeah I've heard Jamaica is scary....but it seems like there is so much stuff to do there! We will stay with a Carnival excursion though if we decide to do something there. I definitely want to be able to enjoy whatever I'm doing and not be nervous and looking over my shoulder the whole time! LOL

Grand Cayman is my favorite place to just lay out on the beach. Some areas will have jet ski rentals, floaters and other things you can rent on the beach.

At Jamaica do a carnival excursion or just stay right there where the shops and Margaritaville are. We love Jamaica, we always do the river tubing which is fun and relaxing at the same time.

In Cozumel we usually just walk around and shop, but have also done the Dune Buggy's which were fun.

I've gotten plowed under in Ocho Rios at the M'ville. But the "venders" et al there were a PITA. If I wanted a "stay on the boat" port, that would be it... as well as Nassau if I end up there again.

The folks at G. Cayman are wonderful. I've grabbed a taxi for 8 for a grand tour, rented a jeep for an on our own & found a real nice restaurant on the beach, the turtle farm is a hit, the stingrays are a hit, and snorkling at Cemetary Beach is cool.

Coz is a blast. From drinking establishments (Sr Frogs, Carlos & Charlies, and some others) to relaxing at Nachi Cocom with the swim up bar and attentive staff, to the bartering on the streets and in the Plaza. Fun places to eat and enjoy life. The water is an absolute beautiful shade of blue. Going back in a few months... mmm mmm mmmm!

Have fun, congrats on the wedding and virgin cruise.

dk

Well, it's your money, but the Carnival excursion to do White River tubing is not a good deal. It costs $69.99 and all you do is go tubing. For the same amount of money, Peat Taylor will take you not only to do White River Tubing, but also to Dunn River Falls (entrance fee included) and to Mahogany beach or to a shopping area. For $10 LESS, you can substitute the Blue Iris Hole for Dunn River Falls.

Sometimes cruise ship excursions are good (e.g. if your time in port is short and you want to go someplace far away) but generally you can get a better tour at a better price if you book on your own.

Don't let others (even me) sway your opinion about tours in Ocho Rios. Read the reviews of various tour operators here on CC or on Trip Advisor.

I looked up the OP's cruise date/ship.

They are going to MoBay...not Ocho Rios.

Peat Taylor offers tours from MoBay. Here's his link: http://ochoriosjamaicatours.com/# Be sure to click on Pickup from MoBay.

Here are tours by Island Marketing: http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/MontegoBayExcursions.htm

Here are Phil Lafayette's tours: http://www.jamaicaphil.com/tours-packages.aspx We've used Phil, but in Ocho. Not MoBay.

I used Google maps to verify what I suspected. It's quite a drive from MoBay to Ocho Rios. Ocho Rios is where you'll find Dunns River Falls, etc.

I highly recommend Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. They limit the number of people per day to 100. So not as crowed as other beaches. Also it is all inclusive food and drinks (alcoholic and nonalcoholic). But you must reserve it and put a deposit down in advance through Island Marketings website.

In Grand Caymen we did the Carnival excursion for Sting Ray City with Rum Point. Had a wonderful time. This is one of the few ways to get to Rum Point beach.

I haven't been to Jamaica yet, but I definetly would do a ship excursion.

Three easy ports! You don't need to pay for an excursion in Coz; someone upthread as already mentioned Paradise Beach. Grab a taxi and go! It can be relaxing OR adventurous depending on what you want to do when you get there!

NativeWay's "Rays, Reef & Rum Point" tour is fantastic. Their guides are great and make it a really fun trip; plus there's a videographer along who will sell you a DVD of your day. (At $60 I did not buy one, but wish I had!) Their livlihood depends on cruise customers, so they WILL get you back to the ship on time. And Rum Point is just gorgeous. If there's a beach in Heaven (and I hope there is!) it looks like Rum Point!

Can't help with MoBay. I have heard it's a long drive to Dunn's River Falls from there and I can tell you DRF gets super crowded QUICK. I would check out the ports forum for other ideas in Jamaica.

Cozumel....

1. Cozumel's motorcycle tour... The best excursion EVER! If you can ride a motorcycle....this excursion is awesome in so many ways!

2. Mexican cuisine cooking and tasting... IF you can't ride a motorcycle... This is my second favorite excursion ever. So well organized and so much fun!

3. Nachi Cocum....nice relaxing day at the beach...but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be duplicated at any number of similar excursions such at Isla Passion, Paradise Beach, Mr Sanchos, Playa Mia, etc, etc....

Archived