My hair need help!!!

geocruiser

Hi,

I have 85% brown and 15% grey hair in a chin length bob and 59 years old. It is super curly with lots of gel on it. Without the gel it is a head of cotton candy. I can’t straight or color it with chemicals. In the AM I wash and jell it. The it takes about 5 hours to dry fully. When it is done, it is nice BUT it takes so long to dry (a hair dryer/diffuser) frizzes it. I hate going out all the time with a wet head.

Here is the main problem, I just had shoulder surgery and next month may need hand surgery (both left hand and shoulder), so I can’t move my arms to style my hair. I have worn short hair in the past. But it has to be real short, maybe 3 inches in length. But I know the little curly fro is not really in. Any thoughts of what to do?

Are you growing out your gray? If so, and considering the shoulder/arm, I'd go for the very short cut and make everything easy on yourself. I think the curly fro is adorable!

I speak from experience about the "do it easy". I broke my shoulder last June (a year plus ago) and was virtually imobile for almost 6 months and couldn't get my arm over shoulder height for quite a while after that. I bought a one-handed hot brush dryer and made do. If my hair was naturally curly, instead of naturally frizzy :eek: I'd have cut it short and let it dry.

I also stopped coloring my hair about five years ago and cut it as short as I could stand it to make the growing out process less obvious and painful! It's now shoulder length and I'll never go back to coloring.

My hair is natural color. I am thinking of just what you said and make it easy for myself. If it is short I can handle it. I just have to wash and put a little jell in it. That I can do with one hand/arm. When it is longer I need both hands to pick and put the jell in. An I don't have the use of both hand/arms now.

I'd definitely go with the option that would make it easiest for you so that you can enjoy your vacation. BTW Curly little 'fros are always in. Wear it with style dahhhhhling! :D When I cut my hair off a few years ago I rocked my TWA (teeny weenie afro) all over the world from Switzerland to Guatemala to Australia and boy was it easy! Sometimes I'm temped to cut it again!

Have a great trip! :)

I'd definitely go with the option that would make it easiest for you so that you can enjoy your vacation. BTW Curly little 'fros are always in. Wear it with style dahhhhhling! :D When I cut my hair off a few years ago I rocked my TWA (teeny weenie afro) all over the world from Switzerland to Guatemala to Australia and boy was it easy! Sometimes I'm temped to cut it again!

Have a great trip! :)

I do see woman with little fros. And they do look so cute. It would be much better for me to have now since I cannot use one arm. And when we cruise in Dec that would make getting ready in the AM much faster. I don't know why I am hanging on to all this hair for. It looks so bad when it is not done. When I had it short it waas wash ans go!

I broke my wrist in December. I have long hair and have to confine under a surgical cap at work. I had to corral coworkers for the first week (when I had an above-the-elbows-to-fingers spint) to help me put it up. I wasn't able to use my hair dryer for close to two months, and my hair frizzes to beat the band.

It sounds like a really good haircut is what you need. Not knowing your hair, everyone's is so individual, but have you considered layering?

My daughter has really curly hair (didn't get it from me, I don't have a curl on my head), she has a short bob style haircut right now, it's cut beautifully. She can let it dry curly or straighten it. I'm jealous of anyone with curly hair, but am sure there people with curly hair that wish they had my stick straight soft hair.

I think it may be that I was a hair stylist for years, I always think a great haircut is the most essential part of hair looking great. Color is important as well, whether it's natural color or enhanced. The first thing people notice about you is your hair and it' how they describe you to others.

Good luck with your surgery, take care and heal quickly.

Just throwing this out there. I know a lady (caucasian, blonde) who is a military cop and broke both her arms while taking down a guy. Since she had casts on both arms she couldn't do her hair so she got cornrolls in her hair for the duration of the time she had her arms in casts. I am just throwing this out in case you do not want a short hairstyle, that maybe you can consider some type of braids just while you are in recovery.

It sounds like a really good haircut is what you need. Not knowing your hair, everyone's is so individual, but have you considered layering?

My daughter has really curly hair (didn't get it from me, I don't have a curl on my head), she has a short bob style haircut right now, it's cut beautifully. She can let it dry curly or straighten it. I'm jealous of anyone with curly hair, but am sure there people with curly hair that wish they had my stick straight soft hair.

I think it may be that I was a hair stylist for years, I always think a great haircut is the most essential part of hair looking great. Color is important as well, whether it's natural color or enhanced. The first thing people notice about you is your hair and it' how they describe you to others.

I might try a layered bob. The trouble with my hair is when I can only wash it and can't use my hands to put the jell in. Without jell it is like cotton candy. If has to be short enought that the hair will curl some what with out jell. If it is very short then one hand with jell on it will work.

It is funny but I was also a hairdresser for 25 years too. When I have use of both my hands I can work with it but it seem I will not have that use for 2 to 3 months!

I really love all the help that every one has given to me. Thank you.

Someone recommended this hot air brush: http://www.amazon.com/John-Frieda-JFHA5-Hot-Brush/dp/B0056GDG90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344110397&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+air+brush I bought it and used it this morning for the first time on my shortish bob style and it worked great!!! I think I could do it with one hand. My hair is fairly thick and wavy, but gets that "cotton candy" texture if there's any humidity. This brush with soft bristles tamed it down beautifully! You'll want your hair about 80% dry to start, but that's easy if you put make up on and get dressed before doing your hair. :)

BTW, you're smart for not coloring your hair. I started hiding the gray when I was in my early 30's. By the time I was 55, I think I was 90% gray and it was harder and harder to keep that white line from showing at my scalp. I was coloring every 8 days! So my hairdresser started me down the path to going natural. Lightening my hair and adding very light highlights until the gray wasn't too obvious. Then she'd just start weaving in some really light highlights at the part until it was almost all silver/white. (Now that is the color of my real hair.) It's been about 2 years, but its been worth it. Now I go to the salon about every 5-6 weeks for a cut!

Hi , I also have curly hair, and can be frizzy, and also have now about 40% gray and 60% brown, I have been growing out my gray now for over a year, went with the short cut. I got tired of the whole coloring routine and the grow backs. Just letting it grow in is so much easier. Now I do have to say that you will have to get use to the color as you go. Now for the frizzies , I use and would recomend something I get at Sallys beauty supply , but I am sure you can get it else where , but my product is Argon Oil (either Proclaim , or One-N-Only brand) , just a very small amout in your hand (the one you can use) rub it into wet or dry hair and then use a pick or a wide tooth comb to comb your hair. It really calms my hair down and it smells good too. I know what you are dealing with , I had surgery on my right hand , and just recently on my right shoulder , and my movement was really impeded. But my Physical Therapist ( my daughter) really helped me get my range of motion back . Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Cori

Someone recommended this hot air brush: http://www.amazon.com/John-Frieda-JFHA5-Hot-Brush/dp/B0056GDG90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344110397&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+air+brush I bought it and used it this morning for the first time on my shortish bob style and it worked great!!! I think I could do it with one hand. My hair is fairly thick and wavy, but gets that "cotton candy" texture if there's any humidity. This brush with soft bristles tamed it down beautifully! You'll want your hair about 80% dry to start, but that's easy if you put make up on and get dressed before doing your hair. :)

BTW, you're smart for not coloring your hair. I started hiding the gray when I was in my early 30's. By the time I was 55, I think I was 90% gray and it was harder and harder to keep that white line from showing at my scalp. I was coloring every 8 days! So my hairdresser started me down the path to going natural. Lightening my hair and adding very light highlights until the gray wasn't too obvious. Then she'd just start weaving in some really light highlights at the part until it was almost all silver/white. (Now that is the color of my real hair.) It's been about 2 years, but its been worth it. Now I go to the salon about every 5-6 weeks for a cut!

That was me with the recommendation for the hot brush. I'm so glad you like it too. I let my gray grow out about 4-5 years ago and will never color again. It took about a year to grow out and I finally had my hairdresser cut off anything that had any artificial color on it. She did the highlighting too, to help it along.

If anyone ever asks why you don't color it (and yes, people can be that rude) you may use my answer. I give them a wide-eyed look and tell them I have organic highlights.

The hot air brush looks like something I would try when I have use of both arms.

I colored my hair a few times about 35 years ago. I did not have any grey then, it was just for a change. After a few times I stopped. My hair has been natural color since then.

magandab,

I love the organic highlights! That made me laugh.

I now see that I forgot to add the "s" to My hair need(s) help. I guess ( I know) my spelling needs help!

BBM

Totally agree and would only add that perhaps you may want to consider the haircut that "back in the day" was called a pixie. I can remember all the way back to the time when I had one arm in a cast and the other in a sling with strict instructions not to use either! The pixie worked great for me.....

Please let us know how your recovery progresses.

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Kilnwood,

If I do a pixie it would end up being a curly one. Not a bad idea. I am leaning towards a short cut.

ducklite,

I heard that they are great. But I can't hold anything too long over my head even with the good arm because is puts a strain on the arm in the sling.

My shoulder is doing great. I never had to take a pain pill since coming home from the hospital. As long as I don't move the are there is no pain.

I did make a hair appointment for Fri. and took out some old pictures of me in short hair. By Fri. I will know what I am doing.

My suggestion is a really really short cut, like an inch or two at most. I know it sounds extreme but if it's super curly and you only have one arm it would not require much of anything. I have a neighbor with curly hair and it is so short it just kind of lays on her head like a really, really short afro and looks adorable. If you have a nice shaped head, go for the Sinead type look! :D

Sue

My suggestion is a really really short cut, like an inch or two at most. I know it sounds extreme but if it's super curly and you only have one arm it would not require much of anything. I have a neighbor with curly hair and it is so short it just kind of lays on her head like a really, really short afro and looks adorable. If you have a nice shaped head, go for the Sinead type look! :D

Sue

Sue,

That is what I am thing to do. I will leave the hair that frames the face a little longer. Then that hair will go into ringlets around my face. I am looking forward to having it done. Today I go back to the Dr for the check up. And Fri I go to the hand Dr to see if there is going to be surgery on it too. I have to change the hair app. because of the time. The time is too close to the Dr appointment. I just look at my list of things to do. I hope she can still put me in.

Stockard Channing's hair in Grease is cute.

http://www.google.com/search?q=stockard+channing+in+grease&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADBS_enUS294US295&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xc0hUO7HFISXrAGitoHgCg&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1082

Finger style and will be almost dry by the time you are finished getting dressed.

To get your grey to shine use a shampoo made for grey hair. Remember the blue-haired ladies? The one I use 2x a week does not turn my hair blue but gives it shine!

Stockard Channing's hair in Grease is cute.

http://www.google.com/search?q=stockard+channing+in+grease&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADBS_enUS294US295&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xc0hUO7HFISXrAGitoHgCg&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1082

Finger style and will be almost dry by the time you are finished getting dressed.

To get your grey to shine use a shampoo made for grey hair. Remember the blue-haired ladies? The one I use 2x a week does not turn my hair blue but gives it shine!

It is a cute cut. But my hair is very different then hers. Mine is frizzy curly and will only curl is left to air dry with jell. It is like cotton candy with out jell. If I blow dry it with a brush and use an iron thenit will be smooth. But this is a lot of work.

I tried a lot of things on my hair. And now I just want to wash and let it dry because of the shoulder surgery.

Thanks for the pictures of the hair do. Something to keep in mind.

My hair is just about the same type that this model has, if I let it dry with out jell. Of course I don't have her pretty young face to wear the style like her. I am also a different nationality then her.

http://cdn.stylisheve.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Curly-Hairstyles-for-women_09.jpg

I did it!. I had my hair cut short today. It is pretty short and curly. The top hair is about 3.5 inches long and the rest is layed into to that. It takes about one and a half minutes to do. I just pick, gel and place it with one hand (the good one!)

My parents are the cause of my curly hair. Mon was Italian and dad was Irish with dark very curly kinky hair. Therefore, I ended up with the tight hair too.

Thank you all for your help. I need the push from all of you.

Now that it is short (and when I can use both hands) I will be taking some of the hints that all of you gave me on blow drying and using that new iron.

Thanks again

I did it!. I had my hair cut short today. It is pretty short and curly. The top hair is about 3.5 inches long and the rest is layed into to that. It takes about one and a half minutes to do. I just pick, gel and place it with one hand (the good one!)

My parents are the cause of my curly hair. Mon was Italian and dad was Irish with dark very curly kinky hair. Therefore, I ended up with the tight hair too.

Thank you all for your help. I need the push from all of you.

Now that it is short (and when I can use both hands) I will be taking some of the hints that all of you gave me on blow drying and using that new iron.

Thanks again

Congrats! Post a picture! :)

Archived