orlando and port canaval question

We will be sailing on Sept 16 , But will need a room the night before.Sept 15. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on where to stay in Orlando by the airport and the best way to get to the Ship at Port Canaval. Taxi or shuttle or Etc...There will be 4 of us. Thanks

Unless you have other plans in Orlando, I would travel out to Cocoa Beach the day before and stay. There are many decently priced waterfront hotels and others that are closer to the pier. We use Cocoa Beach shuttle. Tell them you saw them on Cruise Critic for a 10 percent discount.

http://www.cbshuttle.com/

You can also rent a car for a day, drive out to Cocoa Beach and find a decent hotel for the night. There are several nice restaurants, drug stores and anything else you need for last minute purchases. Many of the hotels offer a breakfast included room, and you can drop off the car and take the rental shuttle to the port.

We are doing just that for our FOS cruise later this month. Got a good rate from Budget, driving to Cocoa Beach and staying at the Hampton Inn, then will have breakfast, stop for some last minute essentials (because I always forget something at home) and then will drop off the car and head to the port.

If you'd prefer a car service or shuttle to Cocoa Beach, many of the hotels have a shuttle to the port for a per person charge, or you can have them call a taxi and take that over (depending on how many people, it might be cheaper to use the taxi).

You can also rent a car for a day, drive out to Cocoa Beach and find a decent hotel for the night. There are several nice restaurants, drug stores and anything else you need for last minute purchases. Many of the hotels offer a breakfast included room, and you can drop off the car and take the rental shuttle to the port.

We are doing just that for our FOS cruise later this month. Got a good rate from Budget, driving to Cocoa Beach and staying at the Hampton Inn, then will have breakfast, stop for some last minute essentials (because I always forget something at home) and then will drop off the car and head to the port.

If you'd prefer a car service or shuttle to Cocoa Beach, many of the hotels have a shuttle to the port for a per person charge, or you can have them call a taxi and take that over (depending on how many people, it might be cheaper to use the taxi).

Just a word of warning not all of the rental car companies have shuttles. We used Enterprise several years ago and unless they've changed they did not have a shuttle. We took the car back to them and wound up taking the bus that was making a stop at our hotel.

Otherwise I agree spend the night in Cocoa Beach.

d

Thanks for the replies... We are also thinking about going from the orlando airport to port canaval to a hotel there, and have hotel shuttle us to the ship. But we will need a shuttle from airport to hotel and need a shuttle from the ship back to airport..... Thanks again!!

Thanks for the replies... We are also thinking about going from the orlando airport to port canaval to a hotel there, and have hotel shuttle us to the ship. But we will need a shuttle from airport to hotel and need a shuttle from the ship back to airport..... Thanks again!!

Also check out the Florida Departures board here at CC....LOT'S of good info there on shuttles to the port/airport as well as hotel info

We will be sailing on Sept 16 , But will need a room the night before.Sept 15. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on where to stay in Orlando by the airport and the best way to get to the Ship at Port Canaval. Taxi or shuttle or Etc...There will be 4 of us. Thanks

You didn't say when you get into MCO (Orlando Airport). We are coming from the West Coast and won't be arriving until late in the evening --- For us, staying at the Hyatt Regency at the airport is the easiest --- we will take a private shuttle to the pier the following morning.

I just posted this in response to a similar question in the carnival section

What I do is stay at the Fairfield Inn on International Ave in Orlando. Its pretty inexpensive but walking distance from TONS of cool places. There are dinner theaters, shopping, etc all right there. Its a $20 cab ride from the airport taxi stand.

The next morning I have Orlando Transportation pick me up and take me to the port. I think their usual rate is $150 round trip (they will give a little discount to returning customers). So they'll pick you up at the hotel and after the cruise drop you back off at the airport. They don't charge the CC until after they drop you off.

Done this 3 times with no issues. 407-383-9930

Sounds like you're going to be on our Freedom sailing on the 16th. Have you checked out our Roll Call and joined the Meet and Mingle? There's been discussion about hotels and transportation that you might find helpful.

I would price out the cost of a shuttle from MCO to the port vs renting a car (one way each way) We sailed out of Port Canaveral in 09 and it was cheaper for us to do 2 one way rentals than getting shuttles from/to the airport. Also allowed us to have the car to use for last minute (>3 oz liquid) essentials.

Have you seen this thread?

We have sailed out of Port Canaveral several times. When we fly, we fly into MCO and rent a one way rental car from Avis. Avis has a free shuttle from their location in Cocoa Beach to the port.

I do not have a hotel to recommend though, we have not had good experience in that department. The next hotel on my list is the Country Inn and Residence. I have read and talked to several people who recommend it.

I do recommend dinner at Fishlips on Saturday night, and arrive early enough to see the ships leave port.

We have always used the RCI shuttle back to the Orlando airport. We book this on the ship and have never had a bad experience.

You didn't say when you get into MCO (Orlando Airport). We are coming from the West Coast and won't be arriving until late in the evening --- For us, staying at the Hyatt Regency at the airport is the easiest --- we will take a private shuttle to the pier the following morning.

Thats what I did last month. Night at airport hyatt after transatlantic flight then belagio limo to the port. Both were perfect but probably one of the pricier options :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

After reading thru these posts, it looks like we are the only ones who do it this way. We always go at least a day early we get a one way ride from Mears to the Caribbe Royale, spend as much time as we can at Disney, then we use RCI's transportation to go to the ship, then to the airport when the cruise is over.

I was on Monarch in March and stayed at the Inn at Cocoa Beach for a night. It was a really nice little place right off the beach with a pool and free homemade breakfast. We rented a car through Avis and dropped off there, but I think the hotel does have a shuttle to the pier. You can check out their reviews on Trip Adviser (I think they are rated #1 in Cocoa Beach).

Neda

Definitely do the rental car for the trip in. We always stay at the Radisson Oceanfront in Melbourne, about 20 minutes from the pier. All suites have ocean facing balconies and the hotel is right on the beach. I also recommend Fishlips for drinks the night before your cruise. This has become tradition for us.

We've tried the shuttle service and didn't care for it at all. Next time it will be a limo for us for sure... If you want to save some $$$ take a shuttle. Our last shuttle driver turned off the bus to save fuel cost while waiting for other passengers to arrive from other airlines! Talk about HOT!!!!!! All of us complained but he did nothing! Very few tips for him on that trip......Gee wizz I wonder why?? We even asked him if there was a problem with the cooling system and he said no...

Earl & Kathy

We have used Belagio several times and LOVE them! This cruise we are flying in early evening to Orlando, staying at Residence in a 2 br suite, free breakfast, amazing price, free shuttle from airport. Then Belagio will pick us up for the crusie in the morning, treating the kids to the surprise of a stretch limo. They will also meet us after the cruise and plop us back at MCO.

With the weather as it is this time of year and lots of T storms delaying flights from our area, we did not want to get to MCO really late and then have to schlep our stuff to Cocoa Beach.

Lots of restaurants and other stuff to do near the hotels in the MCO area.

Used to do Disney for several days, but we do not have enough time this trip.

Lots of options depending on your needs, desires, and ( UGH!!) budget!!!

Another vote for the one way rental car! It's such an easy drive and the coupon codes that are out there on the internet can make it very cheap. On top of that, you have a car to see cocoa beach, see the ships leave port, check out the pier, etc. Loved sailing out of Port Canaveral!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Archived