Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini-help!

teacherplus

I've been trying to book the Le Domus Romane in Rome on the website and keep getting invalid code when I click on buy tickets. Anyone know what the problem is? Anyone been and think it is worth going? Anyone know how long it takes to see it?

Thank you for any insight.

I had a bit of a time getting a reservation to this site last year. As I recall, I ended up having to create a member profile for the Italian ticketing website that handles the tickets and I think I was then able to use my credit card to reserve.

Is this what you've already done?

As to the Domus, unfortunately I was not able to do the tour -- the site was closed when I arrived for my tour (only one each day given in English). They were not able to explain why the closing occurred (their limited English and my limited Italian just didn't overlap), but I later figured out that there had been severe flooding just before my arrival, so I'm sure that was it.

Someone just recently posted here that they did the tour and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to get there next time I'm in Rome.

I had a bit of a time getting a reservation to this site last year. As I recall, I ended up having to create a member profile for the Italian ticketing website that handles the tickets and I think I was then able to use my credit card to reserve.

Is this what you've already done?

As to the Domus, unfortunately I was not able to do the tour -- the site was closed when I arrived for my tour (only one each day given in English). They were not able to explain why the closing occurred (their limited English and my limited Italian just didn't overlap), but I later figured out that there had been severe flooding just before my arrival, so I'm sure that was it.

Someone just recently posted here that they did the tour and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to get there next time I'm in Rome.

Yes I created a profile thinking maybe I had to do that first but I still got the invalid code. Anyone else been successful lately?

Hi there, we visited Le Domus Romane in June. It was awesome but getting the tickets was challenging. We needed 4 English tickets but according to the website there was only one English session at 1:30 PM and there was only 1 spot left. I tried calling the ticket office to confirm this but had connection problems. As a last resort I faxed in an order for 4 English tickets, with the date and my name and email address. Lo and behold the very next day I got a response via email. We got our 4 tickets on the day we wanted but the time was 2:30, which was a time not even listed on the website. On the day of our tour as we were waiting to enter we got to talking to a couple from Canada. They had asked their hotel about getting tickets but were told there was absolutely no way given the short notice. Undaunted, they called themselves and got tickets for the very same day. Moral of the story is don't give up! :)

We enjoyed this tour during our visit to Rome in late July. I was initally unable to purchase tickets as they seemed to be only made available a month or two out. We had two teenagers with us and the nifty multi-media presentation was enjoyed by all. It was somewhat hard to find, as it is contained within some sort of National Archaeological Building (the former Palazzo Venezia), which seems unopen to the public (guards out front).

It was somewhat hard to find, as it is contained within some sort of National Archaeological Building (the former Palazzo Venezia), which seems unopen to the public (guards out front).

It's a government administration building and yes, it's not particularly obvious from the outside that you are in the right place. I suggest doing a search in Google Images for Palazzo Valentini so that you know what to look for.

Well, I have kind of a different problem with trying to buy the tickets. I was able to create a profile on the ticketing site, but put the wrong date in my "shopping cart." I cannot find a way to back out of the cart to delete that and start over with the right date. I have not paid for them, but the website keeps sending me reminders (in Italian of course) to pay for them!

If I am able to get this straightened out and do end up going :), I just want to thank you CC members who recommended this. It sounds like it will be worth it!

We enjoyed this tour during our visit to Rome in late July. I was initally unable to purchase tickets as they seemed to be only made available a month or two out. We had two teenagers with us and the nifty multi-media presentation was enjoyed by all. It was somewhat hard to find, as it is contained within some sort of National Archaeological Building (the former Palazzo Venezia), which seems unopen to the public (guards out front).

The site seems to be working now. If it says 1:30 pm (13:30) for the english tour do you remember how long you were there?

Thank you.

A few things, perhaps worth noting...

The price of tour went up a while back, however it now includes the section on the history of Trajan's enormous column - previously a "pay-for" optional extra. As a result, it takes a little longer... about an hour, I think!

That led to a slight retiming of the English tours - now 1.30 rather than 1.15 - plus, currently at least, there's a second one (on Saturdays and Sundays only as I recollect), at 2.30..

Tickets - still only 15 or so for each tour - are presently only available until 30th September, and the last "batch" were released only a few days before the period the covered began, so patience could be required of those visiting in October!

Possibly the 2nd English tour will be withdrawn again after then - or not... time will tell?

But do try to go, it's well worthwhile!

Peter

A few things, perhaps worth noting...

The price of tour went up a while back, however it now includes the section on the history of Trajan's enormous column - previously a "pay-for" optional extra. As a result, it takes a little longer... about an hour, I think!

That led to a slight retiming of the English tours - now 1.30 rather than 1.15 - plus, currently at least, there's a second one (on Saturdays and Sundays only as I recollect), at 2.30..

Tickets - still only 15 or so for each tour - are presently only available until 30th September, and the last "batch" were released only a few days before the period the covered began, so patience could be required of those visiting in October!

Possibly the 2nd English tour will be withdrawn again after then - or not... time will tell?

But do try to go, it's well worthwhile!

Peter

Thank you for the information. I'm still trying to figure out if we have time. There is only the 1:30 english and if we do that I might be pressed for time. Is it set up so you can leave if you have to in order to catch the bus back to the train station?

Our tour in June was at 2:30 PM on a Monday. This time is not shown on their website, but this was the time we were assigned via email. There were 15 people in our group. The price was 11.50 Euros each and included a presentation about Trajan's Column. Afterward we looked through a window that was quite close to the base of the column. The entire tour lasted about 1.5 hours.

The route didn't really seem set up to allow individuals to escape! Our party moved through underground corridors and passageways that were in darkness behind and ahead of us - shepherded along, and kept together, by several young hostesses.

That was back before the Column was added, and we were out again within an hour of it starting.

As far as the extra ones, I imagine there's a deadline for the slots reserved for group and school parties - with them being reallocated according to demand (French, Italian, English) if not booked by then?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/142920567

Not a bad idea, but only works for those willing to persevere with their requests!

Peter

PS: Ooops - for the record, currently at the weekends the 2nd English tour starts at 14:00, not 14:30...

Archived