rum runners or similar....

t60

Does anyone use rum runners on Australian princess cruises? With what results?

Also in USA they have something called The Dollar Store, in UK we have Poundland and in Spain we have EuroBazaars. They all sell cheap and cheerful stuff for $,£, or €. You know the type of places where you can get cheap and cheerful bits and pieces you never thought you needed until you crossed the threshold. The Dollar stores in USA have all sorts of things useful for cruising eg banners, flags, door decorations, over the door hangers etc.

Is there anything like that in any of the large cities in Australia?

Sandy in Spain

Also in USA they have something called The Dollar Store, in UK we have Poundland and in Spain we have EuroBazaars. They all sell cheap and cheerful stuff for $,£, or €. You know the type of places where you can get cheap and cheerful bits and pieces you never thought you needed until you crossed the threshold. The Dollar stores in USA have all sorts of things useful for cruising eg banners, flags, door decorations, over the door hangers etc.

Sandy in Spain

Every town has a "cheap shop". Sorry I can't comment on Rum Runners as I haven't used them. We don't drink spirits and I wouldn't bother using them to smuggle a bottle of wine on board (even if I wanted to).:D

Sandy in Spain

we had a friend come off the Dawn Princess last week and they got wine on in every port so i dont think you will need rum runners

Yes, there are plenty of cheap tourist tat shops in Oz with a magnificent range of merchandise to suit every "taste". You may get more info about rum runners on the Princess board but I'd be surprised if many people bother. We never have.

Drinks are not terribly expensive and we consider them part of the holiday cost. We have never bothered trying to smuggle alcohol on board - I get a bit annoyed that people want to go against the "rules" of the line to save a few dollars and then often these are the same ones who complain if they run into a problem with the booze. It also makes it more likely IMO for the line to crack down on other things.

we had a friend come off the Dawn Princess last week and they got wine on in every port so i dont think you will need rum runners

We found there were no restrictions on taking wine on board the Dawn Princess in July. Staff said it was restricted to one bottle per person at each port, but they didn't enforce that rule.:):)

I know Princess have quite a liberal interpretation of their policy on their non Australian cruises and we have never had the need to disguise anything. However until very recently this has not been the case on Dawn Princess. RRs contain quite small amounts so I consider them not suitable for wine. However if we found we couldn´t take wine on board for our month long cruise I was thinking about buying RRs. 26US$ for a bottle of wine each night soon mounts up on these long trips, esp for us poor Europeans whose economies are in crisis!

Regarding the cheapie shops, yes we all have some really crass ones, but I´ve found Poundland and the Dollar Store to be above that level. Seems a shame you don´t appear to have a similar chains in Australia

Sandy in Spain

I know Princess have quite a liberal interpretation of their policy on their non Australian cruises and we have never had the need to disguise anything. However until very recently this has not been the case on Dawn Princess. RRs contain quite small amounts so I consider them not suitable for wine. However if we found we couldn´t take wine on board for our month long cruise I was thinking about buying RRs. 26US$ for a bottle of wine each night soon mounts up on these long trips, esp for us poor Europeans whose economies are in crisis!

Regarding the cheapie shops, yes we all have some really crass ones, but I´ve found Poundland and the Dollar Store to be above that level. Seems a shame you don´t appear to have a similar chains in Australia

Sandy in Spain

The strict interpretation of the rule about taking wine on board seems to have applied only for a period of months (maybe six months?) from late 2011 until very early 2012. I believe it was one particular officer's interpretation of the Princess' ruling. It certainly didn't apply in April this year.

Pax use these Rhum Runners to smuggle Spirits on, even on Princess ships. As has been said no problems with byo wine on Princess ships particularly the ones not operating from Australia - the 'American Princess Ships' as I call them. Far superior product to the Australian Princess Ships, Dawn/Sun/Sea Princess and I have probably cruised on 75% of the Princess Fleet, Yankee and Aussie!

We have been on many cruises and have used the rum runners on all of them, as have friends of ours that cruise..We got ours from Sydney but a friend of mine wanted some a while back as did I for a birthday pressie and when I emailed them they said they do not supply anymore and have to be bought from US. Which we did, it worked out cheaper anyway, arrived in about 10 days.

www.rumrunnerflasks.com

www.easytravelerinc.com

Hope this helps..

:)

We have been on many cruises and have used the rum runners on all of them, as have friends of ours that cruise..We got ours from Sydney but a friend of mine wanted some a while back as did I for a birthday pressie and when I emailed them they said they do not supply anymore and have to be bought from US. Which we did, it worked out cheaper anyway, arrived in about 10 days.

www.rumrunnerflasks.com

www.easytravelerinc.com

Hope this helps..

:)

And Princess Security know all about Rhum Runners!

As I said before - my view is "why bother" - just pay for the drinks onboard. Factor the cost in to your holiday.

A tempting aspect on some lines is that you cannot buy a bottle of spirits for your cabin. This makes it awkward to share a pre or post dinner mixed drink except at or brought from a bar.

And if everyone keeps this alive on the boards all the other cruise lines will wake up too

I'm sure all cruise lines know about the practice (and lots of others as well). It comes down to how rigorously they police their own rules.

Archived