Only USA tv on recent European cruise

Skintman

In this age of mega easy communications, why did the Caribbean Princess have only USA channels on a cruise last week to Norway and Iceland. I appreciate that it is a US cruise line, but they did not even show the Olympic Opening ceremony. During the opening ceremony, ESPN was showing speedway for goodness sake.

Am I missing something here???

In this age of mega easy communications, why did the Caribbean Princess have only USA channels on a cruise last week to Norway and Iceland. I appreciate that it is a US cruise line, but they did not even show the Olympic Opening ceremony. During the opening ceremony, ESPN was showing speedway for goodness sake.

Am I missing something here???

It has to with the cost of royalties for the TV channels .

European TV channels have higher royalties charges then US networks.

There is also another name for this charge but escapes me.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I understand that they have to pay fees to receive TV channels, but you would think that considering the cost to run a ship (staff, food, fuel etc), that the cost of a few other channels would be small amount to pay whan the ship spends a lot of time in Europe?

Thanks for the prompt replies. I understand that they have to pay fees to receive TV channels, but you would think that considering the cost to run a ship (staff, food, fuel etc), that the cost of a few other channels would be small amount to pay whan the ship spends a lot of time in Europe?
Small? How about $10K/ship/program? Also, it depends on which channels are on which satellite. Not all programs are available on all communication satellites.

Small? How about $10K/ship/program? Also, it depends on which channels are on which satellite. Not all programs are available on all communication satellites.

$10k a program? OK let's lose Fox and get BBC instead

There are often 50% Brits on European cruises. Seems only fair.

The royalities that have to be paid for showing live events broadcast by an exclusive rightsholder have to come out of the entertainment budget for that voyage. Last April I was on Star Princess during the royal wedding; when the Cruise Director chatted with us on the Ultimate Ships Tour she told us the cost of showing it on MUTS was more than the ship's normal budget for a month of satellite programming. So when the first showing of an NBA playoff game in the sports bar (prominently promoted in the Patter) drew very few takers, no other games were shown for the rest of the sailing.

$10k a program? OK let's lose Fox and get BBC instead

There are often 50% Brits on European cruises. Seems only fair.

I've seen Fox on only a very few cruises. Most of the time, the BBC is one of the channels along with CNN International and HLN. :)

I've seen Fox on only a very few cruises. Most of the time, the BBC is one of the channels along with CNN International and HLN. :)

I've seen BBC World News on Princess, but not BBC British News which could be more interesting to Brits. Two very different things.

Archived