Check your 2006 Confirmations.......

sail7seas

We always request the same dining table at the same dining time.

Since they started having four seatings, our confirmation always reads "Request Main Upper" which is 8:00. My TA made our customary request and the Confirmation we received says "Request Main Lower" for the same 8:00 seating.

She is looking into it now but it appears they may be switching the 8:00 seating to lower level and will have the 8:30 on the upper level.

So, thanks HAL, still another thing that peeves us, IF it is true. We've 'grown accustomed' to that table and whether or not anyone else understands or not, it matters to us.

We have sat at the same table for about 40+ cruises. Clearly we like that table. We don't think it so outrageous that a couple that has cruised that many times with HAL (every one of those cruises in an "S" o r "PS" ) should be able to dine at our choice of table unless there's a real good reason why not.

So......we will either have to find a 'new' table or will have to start dining at 8:30 which is not going to happen!! I won't eat that late. Keep piling on the disappointments. What next? IF it is true.

My point is for everyone to carefully read your confirmations to be sure you are getting what you think you have requested.

S7S,

I am booked for October 2006 and my confirmation shows confirmed main upper. I called Holland America today and confirmed the main upper was 8pm. I will keep checking in case this changes, as I prefer not to eat at 8:30pm. Thanks for posting. I hope your situation is just an error and you get your regular table at the 8pm dining.

Thanks, fllcruise.

Our booking is for January. I'm wondering if, perhaps, at the start of the year they are swapping upper/lower level times and also wondering WHY...IF it is true.

It's been a hard sell trying to get all of us to accept the four seatings vs. two and just as some of us seem to be settling into it, they (may) be 'rocking the boat' again.

Sure would like to know why.

S7S,

I just checked with Holland America again to ask if in 2006 they were going to change the upper and lower times and the representative said no (however, they don't always have the correct information). I had a thought, since they are now running the one dining room as two could they have changed the numbers on the dining tables? Maybe your table number is now located in lower dining but your actual table is still on upper with a different number and when you requested a specific table that placed you at the lower dining 8:30pm.

S7S,

I just checked with Holland America again to ask if in 2006 they were going to change the upper and lower times and the representative said no (however, they don't always have the correct information). I had a thought, since they are now running the one dining room as two could they have changed the numbers on the dining tables? Maybe your table number is now located in lower dining but your actual table is still on upper with a different number and when you requested a specific table that placed you at the lower dining 8:30pm.

Thanks, fllcruiser......

I seriously doubt they would change all of the table numbers. All of the "S" sisters have the exact same dining room plan and I can't imagine any reason why they would change them all.

I'll be checking into this a lot more closely next week and will report whatever I learn.

Our TA mentioned this to us some time ago. Someone from Hal clued her in that they were considering switching the 8:00 to the lower level. We asked why and she told us the word was that the 8:00 time slot was requested by most passengers who preferred late seating. There are more tables on the lower level so more passenger requests could be honored. This makes perfect sense to me.

I am not an advocate of the 4 dining times. I much preferred the old way with the 2 seatings.

Our TA also mentioned late last year when we were planning 2005 cruises that a change of levels/times was under consideration by HAL and that TA's had been notified of the possibility in order to forewarn their clients to have a Plan A and a Plan B for dining requests.

Somebody gave this information on this board. Could have been me, don't remember, but the rumor has been out there a long time. I heard it from 2 TA's. And you are right, Odd Ball- it is because the lower level has more tables and better suits managing the 8 PM requests. Of course this all could be solved if they went back to 2 dining times. :rolleyes:

While you are all on the subject of upper and lower dining and we are planning a cruise on the Westerdam, what are the difference between the upper and lower dining rooms and why is one preferable to you? Thanks.

Dining time is more important to me than location, but if all else were equal I'd prefer upper as the room is smaller and more "restaurant-like" (just MHO though).

What will this mean for the 6:15 diners, who now use the lower level? Will they be rushed through their dinners? As 6:15 is also a popular time, I can't see them utilizing the upper level at that hour.

I, too, wish HAL would return to the two dining times.

Though our cruise isn't until Dec 2005 our dinner seating is confirmed as Main upper. We have not sailed with the 4 seatings but remember the dining room on the Ryndam and we were seated on the lower section for the late seating and it was just fine. However, we came into dinner a couple of times from the upper section and it really looked like it would be nice to dine there so I'm happy we chose the 1st main selection. The food was excellent on the Ryndam and if it is still that wonderful, it really won't matter which deck we're on. Happy Sails. :)

Hi,

Our confirmation (on the Noordam) says "Main CFM". Does anyone know what that means?

On our last cruise on the Maasdam, we had the 8:30 seating. We thought that it was a little late - didn't give enough time before the show. We went to the Pinicle twice - both times were @ 7:30 - a much better time to eat!

gail

Okay, I'm just a little brain-weary right now and can't figure out where to find our dining assignment. I've seen the cabin number, etc., on the immigration form and tried to look at shore excursions but there aren't any listed for Oct/06 on the site for booked passsengers. Can you tell me where to find the dining assignment please? It would be nice to know if we are getting what we requested! Thanks for your help - this board continues to be a fount of knowledge!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You cannot find it on Hal's site. It will be on your documents. Since your cruise is Oct 6 you have awhile to wait. You will receive your docs about 6 weeks prior to your cruise.

Your confirmation documents from your TA should have your dining request listed. This is not a guarantee but a request.

Hal does not guarantee dining requests, but they do try to accomadate as much as possible.

What will this mean for the 6:15 diners, who now use the lower level? Will they be rushed through their dinners? As 6:15 is also a popular time, I can't see them utilizing the upper level at that hour.

There is NO way that the lower level could have the 6:15 (Early Seating-late) and then have the 8:00 (Main Seating-early). NO way. That would mean only an hour and 3/4 for serving, eating, clean-up, and preparing the tables for the next seating- an impossibility.

If the levels switch times they have to switch for both seatings. 6:15 may be the most popular of the 2 Early Seating times, but if our poll on another thread is valid (and there is no reason it shouldn't be a good representation of what times people like) the 6:15 is nowhere near as popular as the 8 PM seating. It is the 8 PM seating that is causing the problem in accomodating everyone who wants it and the lower level does have more seating capacity than the upper.

Dining time is more important to me than location, but if all else were equal I'd prefer upper as the room is smaller and more "restaurant-like" (just MHO though).

It is of equal importance to us at which table we dine and at what time.

We have dined WELL over a year of our lives in the same seats at the same table. We've grown very 'accustomed' to it. :) Everyone on the various ships who we know, always knows where we will be seated. We've had crew friends deciding last minute to join us for dinner and they had no problems walking into the dining room and knowing where we'd be seated without asking.

Can you tell me where to find the dining assignment please? It would be nice to know if we are getting what we requested!

Your dining assignment appears on the "Passenger Confirmation" form from Holland America. Example: "MAIN-LOWER CFM" (CFM = Confirmed).

Give your TA a call. He/she is faxed this form when you make your initial booking. The TA may or may not provide you with a copy. I always ask for it. It's kind of a Linus blanket for me.

HAL faces an impossible task making everybody happy with their dining time, dinning room, and table, doesn't it? Seems to me the best the cruiseline and dining staff can do is try to satisfy most of the pax most of the time. What else can they do? Does anyone have a better solution?

If 8 PM is the most popular seating and the lower lvl dinning room seats the most people, then that seems fair to me. No? :confused:

No.... :(

The new direction of HAL keeps disappointing us in more and more ways. There comes a point when we say......No More. We have taken this, then that, then the other thing they have chosen to eliminate/change/add/turn upside down. At some point the product becomes unrecognizable as something we like and are will to pay big sums of money for. At that point, we no longer say Okay.

We, at that point, say "NO".

Thank you for the replies - I will ask my TA for a copy of the confirmation from HAL. It doesn't matter to us where we sit in the dining room (except right beside the kitchen!), but we do prefer a later time rather than earlier.

Sail7seas, I hope you do get the table and time you've requested because it appears it's something you've grown accustomed to over the years and it makes your cruising experience much more pleasurable. Although each cruise is a new experience, it is nice to have something consistent.

No.... :(

The new direction of HAL keeps disappointing us in more and more ways. There comes a point when we say......No More. We have taken this, then that, then the other thing they have chosen to eliminate/change/add/turn upside down. At some point the product becomes unrecognizable as something we like and are will to pay big sums of money for. At that point, we no longer say Okay.

We, at that point, say "NO".

Sail, in the 35+ years I have been cruising with HAL I have seen many, many changes...some I like and many I dislike. However, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that if one wishes to keep cruising on the Line they prefer they have to go with the flow...otherwise stay home or do something different. There is no way any Line will change because of complaints!

We have also sat on the upper level of the dining room since the "S" and "R" Class ships have come out and will be disappointed if we have to swtich to the lower level. Again, however, we still want to eat at 8:00 so if this is what HAL decides is best for them then we do it...like it or not!

Well said, Liz. In our 24 years of sailing with HAL we have also seen many, many changes. Having sat at both the Upper and Lower levels we do prefer the Upper but if it means that we will have to sit on the Lower level for the 8pm seating, so be it.

All the whining and complaining isn't going to get anyone anywhere. HAL will do what they want and feel is best for everyone, including the crew.

Sail, in the 35+ years I have been cruising with HAL I have seen many, many changes...some I like and many I dislike. However, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that if one wishes to keep cruising on the Line they prefer they have to go with the flow...otherwise stay home or do something different. There is no way any Line will change because of complaints!

We have also sat on the upper level of the dining room since the "S" and "R" Class ships have come out and will be disappointed if we have to swtich to the lower level. Again, however, we still want to eat at 8:00 so if this is what HAL decides is best for them then we do it...like it or not!

Yes, Liz....of course.

Unless we choose to say No.

At each change, each person decides how much it matters to them. Each thing matter to each person in varying degrees or not at all. In the years we have been cruising HAL, we, too, have seen a great many changes. To date, we have gone along with them.

I am not suggesting HAL should make their decisions predicated upon my choices.

I am suggesting I, too, can make choices...Not just HAL has that perogative. My choice may be to say No......or May Not Be. I don't know. Haven't yet decided as it has not yet Officially been announced, so far as I know. We do not HAVE to accept their word as what we have to put up with. The same as they can make as many changes as they like, we can choose to not buy their product.

We do not have to simply ask how high we are supposed to jump. We can refuse to jump at all.

We do not have to simply ask how high we are supposed to jump. We can refuse to jump at all.

True, but having to "break in" a whole new line just because of a table? And where else would you go? No matter which line it was, you'd still need a new table.

I wouldn't argue if there were some other line which could give you the thing HAL might be taking away (and, of course, that still isn't confirmed) but should HAL switch the times, then no line could give you back that table...

True, but having to "break in" a whole new line just because of a table? And where else would you go? No matter which line it was, you'd still need a new table.

I wouldn't argue if there were some other line which could give you the thing HAL might be taking away (and, of course, that still isn't confirmed) but should HAL switch the times, then no line could give you back that table...

Yes, Dave that is true.

If it were just a table, I would probably roll with it. I guess I'm getting tired of rolling with one change after another. There have been many and all of us decide for ourselves when we have had enough. These are discretionary dollars we are spending. We can use our discretion as to where we spend them.

There are some things that matter not to one person but are very important to another. When enough important things change, each person decides if what is left is enough.

I, by no means, expect anyone to evaluate how important any one thing or even an aggregage of things is to any other person. I can't know how important your choices are to you; you cannot know how important my choices are to me.

JMHO....

Archived