Is dark suit ok for formal night?

swamom

Hello, again. We will be going on Voyager to the Baltics in June. My husband has a very nice charcoal suit, custom made, but does not have a black suit. Will that be suitable for formal evenings? We have cruised many times and it worked, but I'm just a little concerned about this particular ship.

Thank you.

Hi,

His suit would be fine! We went 2 years ago on that same cruise and my husband didn't bring his tux . He wore a dark color suit. I think less than 50% of men were wearing a tux.

Have a great cruise!

Cruiseluv, thank you for your input. It just helps to have a seal of approval. Did you enjoy the cruise? Do you have any advice, suggestions, comments...for me before we go?

Hi Swamom,

Are you spending any time in Copenhagen and /or Stockholm? Stockholm was my favorite place in this cruise!

In St. Pete we took a combination of private tours arranged by my TA for her group and Radisson tours. We opted not to get the individual visa since we didn't want to be on our own there. We went to Peterhof, Winter palace , Hermitage among other things. The Hermitage museum was my favorite of everything I saw( we took the Radisson tour for that one). We didn't do this but several people in my group took the optional tour to Moscow and said that was the highlight of their cruise.

We really liked Tallin and just walked around the old part of town. Very friendly people and nice selection of wool sweaters.

Do you go to Helsinki? We also just walked around there.

WE only booked excursions in St. Pete. The other places were doable on our own.

If you have any specific q's I'll be happy to help,

Dark suits are fine for formal night. Agree - less than 50% tuxes on this ship. In addition, my husband took a sports coat for Signatures & Latitudes. It is really country club casual. The Voyager is a great ship. You will have a great time! Enjoy!

Yes, we are going thru Copenhagen, ending in Stockholm. We don't visit Helsinki, we go to Amsterdam, Berlin, Tallinn, Visby, and St Pete. We are taking ship tour to Berlin and one day in St. Pete. The others we are doing on our own unless we change our minds. I think we'll use private ship arr. tour the second day in St Pete.

Following our cruise, we are venturing out on our own, by train. We will spend 1 nt in Stockholm, 1 in Copenhagen, 1 in Bremen Germany, 2 in Cologne, and 2 in Brussels before taking the chunnel to London to return home. This will be our fist excursion on our own, but we are excited about it. I have spent countless hours on internet researching the areas and what to do off the beaten path. Are you familiar with Virtualtourist.com? It's a good site for personal reviews and info.

If you have other ideas, let me know. Thanks, again.

I went to Brussels many years ago and really enjoyed it. It you have the time go to Bruges. I don't think it's that far from Brussels since we did it as a day trip. It's a city with canals , somewhat similar to Amsterdam but much more charming. It's just lovely. I always promised myself to go back and haven't, but it's on my list!

Hi Swamom,

My hubby is also just taking a dark suit for formal night on the Voyager Baltic in August. Your cruise and trip sound great! Hope it all works out for you!

We have visited 3 European countries on our own - planning and then renting a car. Never had a problem. Driving through the chunnel will be something different. Let us all know how your cruise and trip went!

Ginny

From Texas also - where abouts do you live?

oh, gopackgo, we're not driving-we're really not that brave. We will take the train thru the chunnel. and yes, we are going to Brugges for a day trip. can't wait-I'm ready to pack and go!

Would a navy blazer past muster for formal night?

I don't think they would refuse entrance to dining room...would they?:confused:

Hubby doesn't wear suits and I don't think I would buy one just for one cruise.

I'd like to hear more on the "navy blazer" subject. My husband (who has never owned a dark suit in all his 75 years) did go out and buy a dark suit-- but he'd still rather leave the thing at home and just take the "uniform": blazer and nice pants and tie (which he could wear multiple times on the trip). I was definitely given to believe that dark suit was wanted for those formal nights-- not exactly that one would be refused entrance if one didn't comply, just that one might feel fairly uncomfortable (which we would not enjoy). Interested in more in-put on this question. Thank you.

Hi Poss,

Agree with jhp's comment. Although there might have been men in blue blazers I don't recall seeing any. It all depends if he doesn't feel uncomfortable being "different" from the rest. I'm sure nobody will say anything to make him feel uncomfortable.

We are cruising Alaska shortly and I understand this is probably a little more casual than some other cruises. My husband will definitely NOT be taking a suit, but I was wondering, does he even have to take a jacket for dinner- will he still get in to Signatures. He never wears a jacket at home for eating out and it seems a waste to take it all that way if it is not necessary. We need to travel as light as possible as we have a couple of weeks pre cruise in Canada and don't enjoy lugging more than one medium sized suitcase around each. Thanks Sue

Corniglia:

The last we experienced (or heard), all of Radisson's Alaska cruises are casual, meaning that neither a coat or tie is required for men any time. On our Radisson Alaska cruise, I did take (and use) a navy blue blazer to wear with sports shirts of mock turtle necks. Just a voluntary thing on my part. but I did not take a tie.

Hope this helps,

Richard:) :) :)

Corniglia,

We took the Mariner last June to Alaska! You will LOVE the ship and Alaska! It's a great cruise.

I was under the impression that Signatures dress code was informal, meaning men should wear a sport coat but no tie is necessary. (I may be wrong.) Jim brought a blazer along and he wore it about half the evenings, specifically at Signatures and the evening of the Captain's Welcome Party. He also wore it a couple other nights in Compass Rose just by choice. About half the men in Compass Rose had on jackets - absolutely NOT necessary or expected.

I did see some younger guys in Signatures without jackets on so I don't think it will make any difference. I think you can get by without it. I don't think there is any hard and fast rules - just enjoy yourself!

Ginny

I think you will be ok at Signatures and Latitudes. During our cruise last year, there was a very large group - 300 or so. They had designated one night as "sports night" for their group. There were many people in Latitudes wearing Hockey or other sports jerseys during dinner. They were not asked to leave. My husband was wearing his blue blazer and asked me, "so why did I need to wear a jacket???"

Mimie,

300? That is about half the passengers! We had 3 groups on our ship. One group was 200, and the others were about 50 a piece. Really did not affect us. Thank goodness.

I know how loud the groups that my husband works with can get at restaurants. It gets kind of crazy sometimes. The last time there was a table of 10 and we were asked to quiet down at a nice, but loud restaurant. We weren't even doing anything!

Thank you all for your advice, we won't be packing the jacket. He still looks very smart in a long sleeved shirt (well I think he does but I'm biased!). This will be our first cruise and we come from one of the warmer parts of Australia so are getting very excited. Sue

corniglia

Be aware that the dress code for Signatures requires a jacket (but no tie) even on casual nights. Whether they enforce it or not is another matter (I didn't see anyone without a jacket in there) - but that's what they say in the daily newsheet on board etc.

Cornigilia

Be aware that the public rooms, including the dining room, can be somewhat cool. Although hubby usually complains about dragging along a sports jacket, he sometimes wears it even on casual nights just to be comfortable. On formal nights, the Voyager has a steak house that remains casual. Actually, the menu looks fantastic, even for a vegetarian like me, so that's where I'll be on formal nights.

Archived