best side of ship

katskritter

We are thinking of booking an eastern caribbean cruise on Carnival Dream at the end of January. This will be the third cruise for my husband and I and second for our son. I have yet to see any dolphins. I was wondering what the best side of the ship would be to view dolphins and flying fish. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. :o

There is no way to say what side would be better for seeing dolphin or flying fish on a ship in the open ocean. They pretty much go wherever they want.

Some people prefer the Port side so they can see the port and island when at the dock but others prefer to have the starboard for the views of the wide open ocean. Of course, some ports it is better to have the starboard because of certain sites that can only be seen when passing in or out of port.

NY would be an example there. Starboard is better if you want to stay on your balcony and see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island when leaving port. I also preferred starboard in Nassau because the view of Paradise Island was much nicer than the commercial port area.

Not sure if this really helps. What ports will you be stopping at on your itinerary?

Nope the Bow wave is their favorite place to play. Every cruise I've been on, I've seen them swimming along. Everyone else is watching the port recede I'm checking out the dolphins.. lol

I have also seen 4 or 5 dolphins playing at Port Canaveral before we left. Was fun..

If you book a Cove toward the bow, you would have a good chance to see something on either side - port (left) or starboard (right) - since you are so close to the water.

We were on the Glory a few years ago and were sitting outside on the deck 3 Promenade near the bow. We watched flying fish for hours.

Here's the deal...remember the post that said that they like to be on the starboard side in Nassau because the view on Paradise Island is nicer than the port? Well the port side is the left side, and on our last cruise, the port side was facing Paradise Island, because we pulled in not backed in. You just never know. I was on the Sensation, near the front of the ship on the verandah with a small balcony, and I saw flying fish all day one day. But I saw dolphins in Port Canaveral from the aft of the ship. Your going to see what you are going to see when what you see is there. I would say a balcony close to the front of the ship??? for flying fish. There was a post two years ago with a flying fish stuck in a porthole window. Those folks had to look at him all week.:(:eek:

Archived