Pisa/Florence on your own

We are a group of 6 traveling together and would like to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, plus go to Florence. Can we get a taxi at the port to do this? Are there usually vans that can accomodate a day trip like that? I have emailed some private drivers and they are booked. The ship's excursion does not go to Pisa.

When in Florence is it difficult to find a taxi to take you to the different attractions?

Any advice?

Claudio Caponera or his able associate Carlo will give you a fantastic tour of both Florence and Pisa with ship to ship service all-day in an air-conditioned Mercedes van for 6 people for 480 Euros. Try LIMOINROME.COM.

When we were in Livorno, many vans were at the pier and drivers were looking for customers like you who want an all-day tour. But of course there is no guarantee, especially if several big ships should be in at the same time.

In Florence you will not need a Taxi (besides somebody in your party has walking difficulties) because the major attractions are within walking distance.

Alternatively you might use trains, which run frequently and are very cheap. Yet, in your case, as you want to see both cities in one day and you are six people, the van idea seems very reasonable.

Hello:

We were just in Livorno last week and we hired a private minivan for 4 which could have held 6 to take us to Florence. The full day excursion picked us up at 8:30 and dropped us back at the ship at 5:00pm and it cost us 280 euros (+30 euro tip) and the driver waited for us in Central Florence for us to drop off all our shopping bags and for my father to take a mid afternoon siesta. It worked out great and Florence was beautiful.

Word to the wise.....Pre book your own Uffizi tickets.....the lines were brutal and it was only May.

The ladies name who we corresponded with was Lina. Info below, she was prompt and very nice.

info@papillonservice.com

Yes we Pre arranged with Lina for the driver to meet the boat with a sign with our name on it. He was prompt, a safe driver and got us back to ship on the time schedule we had arranged.

Enjoy!

We are doing a private tour and the guide is arranging for us to pick up and pay for our tickets when we get there (no line). However, there are other posts on these boards that give you the exact site to reserve and pre-pay for tickets to either place. I went to the sites and from what I remember, it costs more to do this on the site than to call ahead to get the tickets (seems like 4-5 Euros more per person). However, calling ahead may require some knowledge of Italian which I don't have. So, you can buy the tickets online and pick them up when you get there but you also have to know what time you plan to be there.

We are a group of 6 traveling together and would like to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, plus go to Florence. Can we get a taxi at the port to do this? Are there usually vans that can accomodate a day trip like that? I have emailed some private drivers and they are booked. The ship's excursion does not go to Pisa.

When in Florence is it difficult to find a taxi to take you to the different attractions?

Any advice?

Hi Judy,

Have been there many times-there will be taxis at the port.

We have rented a car/van several times from Liberty Rental just around the corner from the port. They will bring the van to you, they also have drivers of you want. e-mail is www.libertyrent.it phone is 0586 834082 wery wery realible. I have alos used a guide for Florence: she will meet you on the outshirts of Florence and take you on a tour, We have also parking in a parking garage in FLorence with is a zoned drive city. Her name is Nadia Ghelli phone is 055-240-361 very very good. Piza is easy. If you want to drive in Florence park down by the Petti Palace. Florence is a very walkable city.

If you want any more ideas can e-mail me at brendal960@aol.com

We just used Alessandro Cammilli last week- he was terrific and very reasonable prices. And best yet- he's a carbinieri! He took four of us all over Tuscany from about 8:15am til 5:45pm for 240EU. I am fairly certain his prices will increase as the season passes- we booked very early and were very pleased with our day...Siena, San Gimignano several small villages in the Chianti region.

He lives in Florence and will do put together any kind of a package you wish but has a limited schedule.

alecamma@hotmail.com Good luck WE LOVE TUSCANY and would kill to go back :)

One good thing about booking a private tour guide is that they can drive in areas that are blocked off for public travel. The buses will drop you on the edge and you walk for hours. Ours took us directly to the things we wanted to see and waited for us, so we didn't have to walk all over as we had several members of our group for whom that would have been very difficult. We went to Pisa first and it was beautiful, then into Florence for the rest of the day. I would HIGHLY recommend the private tour guide that you can share with 8 people in a minivan.

Archived