Faster to the Fun program announced today

GuitarPlayer

They've cut the colors game too. Almost all the cruise lines I've been on have the marriage game in one form or another.

RCCl are too much like enclosed malls for me.

On Carnival, the marriage game is now one of the evening "shows" in the theater.

Maggie

Because I don't think Jazz plays well on cruise ships in 2012?

BTW I am a 61YO male.

And been a member of CC almost 2 years.

Folks will, of course, make up anything they like.

I'm amazed the stuff you have to take when you don't toe the company line.

Actually I do think Jazz plays well on cruise ships, Kevin. But Carnival isn' the line for Jazz. Contemporary Country, Hip Hop, Classic Rock and Pop music is what we heard on our most recent Carnival cruises.

Carnival is fine for what it offers at their price point, and if I were a new cruiser, I'd jump at the chance to pay $50 and get a few extra perks. The changes we've seen implemented since Jerry Cahill took over from Bob Dickinson have helped with our decision to try other lines.

We may cruise Carnival again, and I'll be reading this board to keep up with any new programs, or major changes. Overall, we're finding that since we don't have small children, we like to dress for dinner, and are looking for a less frantic atmosphere while on vacation, along with quiet venues for drinks in the evening, Princess is a good fit for us.

Cheers!

First, let me point out that I am NOT a Carnival hater or basher.... as some would like to think because of some of the changes that I don't like.

I love cruising with Carnival, and am sure I always will cruise with them.

that being said, I really don't like it that the Legends show is one of the choices of the nightly shows. I especially don't like it that they moved the marriage show from the afternoon, to make it one of the nights of entertainment that they are supposed to be providing for us.

wow... if some of the new cruisers had a chance to experience the cruises of some of us that have cruised for such a long time with Carnival, they would then understand what we are saying... maybe.... I guess you're never going to miss something you never had. I am not bashing... I just really wish Carnival was how it used to be.... I know... I know already... changes happen.

Change is not always good, just look at our country.:eek:

But then again... I always say... IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! :D

If we were going on our first cruise ever and didn't know what to expect, we probably wouldn't pay the $50 to get on early, get our luggage earlier, get our rooms earlier and have priority tendering.

After experiencing the line to get processed and getting on board a bit later and finding the Lido deck crammed full of people, I think we would pay the $50 to get those ammenities until we got to Platinum.

I think Carnival and all other lines are just trying to generate a bit more revenue. I just hope it is help offset the cost of overhead.

The changes we've seen implemented since Jerry Cahill took over from Bob Dickinson have helped with our decision to try other lines.

!

I agree and Im glad we do cruise on other lines It gives us more choices

On Carnival, the marriage game is now one of the evening "shows" in the theater.

Maggie

So the marriage game show is the main evening show now? That is ridiculous. One go around of the Legends show is enough for a lifetime also.

I suppose the next thing will be pay per view shows. But I realize Carnival has to keep cruise rates cheap for the first time cruisers.

Really? REALLY??? Yes, RCL has an ice skating show, CCL doesn't, but CCL still doesn't have much.

I just booked the Allure.

The Allure has an acrobat type show- CCL doesn't

They have daily parades- CCL doesn't

It has a diving show- CCL doesn't

It has a Broadway show- CCL doesn't

It has a free 3d theater- CCL doesn't

CCL has cut, cut , cut , cut their entertainment. They used to have entertainers flown in, not anymore! The rest we all know. Playing the colors games, watching cheap cruiser participation nonsense like the Legends and Marriage game is nonsense. When I pay for a cruise, I want to see professionals entertain.

But you didn't tell us how much MORE you paid for the Allure over a comparible room say on the Magic...Dennis

They've cut the colors game too. Almost all the cruise lines I've been on have the marriage game in one form or another.

RCCl are too much like enclosed malls for me.

They had the color crap last summer on the Freedom. The marriage show was the main show one night and on another night, there was some cruiser participation game ("win points for your color team") that was the main show one night..

It is cheaper to have guess play silly games than to fly in entertainers like they used.

Allure and Oasis seem much better priced than Breeze next year, but I do like the Breeze itineraries better.

Actually the Dream and the Allure came out about the same time, compare those two...The Breeze is a Brand new ship and its gonna be more...Dennis

Allure and Oasis seem much better priced than Breeze next year, but I do like the Breeze itineraries better.

The Monoliths of RCCL prices are coming down and I cant believe the pricing on the Breeze

But I would do the southern itinerary any day over the usual east/west. So that would be something I would pay a little more for on the Breeze

The Monoliths of RCCL prices are coming down and I cant believe the pricing on the Breeze

But I would do the southern itinerary any day over the usual east/west. So that would be something I would pay a little more for on the Breeze

I agree. Carnival puts a premium price on the southern itinerary yet very few sailings. And they eliminated the panama route.

Really? REALLY??? Yes, RCL has an ice skating show, CCL doesn't, but CCL still doesn't have much.

I just booked the Allure.

The Allure has an acrobat type show- CCL doesn't

They have daily parades- CCL doesn't

It has a diving show- CCL doesn't

It has a Broadway show- CCL doesn't

It has a free 3d theater- CCL doesn't

CCL has cut, cut , cut , cut their entertainment. They used to have entertainers flown in, not anymore! The rest we all know. Playing the colors games, watching cheap cruiser participation nonsense like the Legends and Marriage game is nonsense. When I pay for a cruise, I want to see professionals entertain.

when you pay for a cruise you get what you pay for...we have looked at the Allure or Oasis to try RCL but for the 5 of us there is no way we can get RCI for the price we would pay for CCL similar cruise:

Dream: 2400 for 5

Breeze: paid 2750 for 5 on an 8 Day

Oasis: exact same sail date as our Breeze...this boat does not have the ability to book online for 5 but for 4 outside it is 2700. Figure around 3400 for 5.

That unfortunately is out of our price range. I think this boat has 5 person Family Inside Rooms, and we have priced them out on other RCI boats, and they run around 3400 or so for same sail dates we book. If we had the budget we would possibly try this and might in the next couple of years. However, it is priced out of range for us so we book Carnival...and we will get what we pay for on Carnival, simple...

But you didn't tell us how much MORE you paid for the Allure over a comparible room say on the Magic...Dennis

Why don't you tell us how much a room on CCL cost than on the Alaskan Ferry System?

Here is a fact- cabin prices are based on demand. Did you know that is why prices vary depending on time of year?

RCL charges more because there is more demand for their cruises. People rather cruise on a ship with broadway, diving shows, and guest entertainers than a cruise on a ship where the main entertainment consists of cruisers doing karoke or answering questions - imagine that!

It is sad how so many people think that CCL tries to keep prices low-that's pure nonsense. CCL is a not a non profit organization; they are for profit corporation and shareholders would revolt if carnival said that they were not going to sell cabins at market prices.

It's also silly to say meaningless things like "CCL is selling full so they must be doing something right".

It is incredibly easy to sell all the rooms on a ship, all you have to do is keep dropping the prices. That has gone on as many people brag about the price they paid. Every Yugo imported into the U.S. got sold, does that make it a good car as well?

When people fixate about the price of the cruise and make meaningless comparisons to cruises taken ten+ years in the past (ignoring the fact that CCL was a different cruise experience) they are showing that they don't want a cruise as much as they want a cheap ship that will take them from island to island.

The family that got off in Jamaica and caused a ruckus by not reboarding proves my point- CCL is less a cruise and more a cheap way to travel to an island.

I agree. Carnival puts a premium price on the southern itinerary yet very few sailings. And they eliminated the panama route.

so true, especially when they put a "new" ship there. i remember when they swapped out the tropicale for the fascination, and fares for a standard ov were $1599. the following year, they were $599.

RCL charges more because there is more demand for their cruises.

I don't think Wall Street agrees.:D

"After bleak second quarter, Royal Caribbean lowers earnings forecast

With European business hurting, Royal Caribbean reported a net loss for the second quarter and lowered its earnings forecast for the rest of the year."

BTW I have no idea if Carnival Corp. did any better.

Why don't you tell us how much a room on CCL cost than on the Alaskan Ferry System?

Here is a fact- cabin prices are based on demand. Did you know that is why prices vary depending on time of year?

RCL charges more because there is more demand for their cruises. People rather cruise on a ship with broadway, diving shows, and guest entertainers than a cruise on a ship where the main entertainment consists of cruisers doing karoke or answering questions - imagine that!

It is sad how so many people think that CCL tries to keep prices low-that's pure nonsense. CCL is a not a non profit organization; they are for profit corporation and shareholders would revolt if carnival said that they were not going to sell cabins at market prices.

It's also silly to say meaningless things like "CCL is selling full so they must be doing something right".

It is incredibly easy to sell all the rooms on a ship, all you have to do is keep dropping the prices. That has gone on as many people brag about the price they paid. Every Yugo imported into the U.S. got sold, does that make it a good car as well?

When people fixate about the price of the cruise and make meaningless comparisons to cruises taken ten+ years in the past (ignoring the fact that CCL was a different cruise experience) they are showing that they don't want a cruise as much as they want a cheap ship that will take them from island to island.

The family that got off in Jamaica and caused a ruckus by not reboarding proves my point- CCL is less a cruise and more a cheap way to travel to an island.

And your point is??....you still didn't answer my question...I'm not going on an Alaskan ferry and I sure ain't buying no Yugo....Dennis

you have made this same statement before on these boards, regarding why RCI prices are more. If you think they charge more because more people want to sail them you are out of tune with the reality of RCI, and other lines. Those that may want broadway shows, and a more glitzy cruise experience will choose other lines than Carnival. People on a budget or wanting more of a Value Vacation choose Carnival...if Carnival brings in Broadway Shows, Skating rinks and Wave Runners you bet your bottom $$$ their prices will go up. In order to keep their prices lower that do NOT offer the amenities. If we can save some cash during the Year we would try RCI to see for ourselves. With a family of 5 we are on a tighter budget so Carnival fits right into our plans...

.if Carnival brings in Broadway Shows, Skating rinks and Wave Runners you bet your bottom $$$ their prices will go up. In order to keep their prices lower that do NOT offer the amenities. If we can save some cash during the Year we would try RCI to see for ourselves. With a family of 5 we are on a tighter budget so Carnival fits right into our plans...

You really don't understand economics, do you? We all know that CCL is in a downward spiral and would not/can not bring the extras that RCL does. But,hypothetically, if they did, why do you still think CCL would charge more? Before you say "To cover the cost!", you are ignoring the market.

If people think CCL is worth no more than $500, adding extra stuff will not change that. Oh sure, they could up service, food, etc and after so many years, word will get out that CCL has greatly improved, demand will increase (that already occurred) but in the short term, nope, no change. Market says CCL is worth $500pp. Add in a skating rink. Market says nope, CCL is worth $500pp. If you raise the price to $550 to cover extra stuff, you will sail with empty cabins. That's a fact- price above what market dictates and you sail with empty cabins.The market puts a lid on price increases. So,the only way to increase profits is to:

1) Make cutbacks on board

2) Increase revenue on onboard spending

Again, it is dumb to think that they "try to keep prices low" and the facts prove this. For example, it cost double to cruise during xmas as it does to cruise during the first week of december. Gee, if they wanted to "keep fares low", don't you think they would make the xmas cruise cost the same as the first week of dec cruise? Look at cruise prices for any time of the year and hopefully you'll notice that they are all based on DEMAND- the times when people want to travel most (ie, most demand) are the most $, the times when people travel the least are the cheapest.

Getting back to increasing profits, we have seen #1 with all the cutbacks. We have also seen #2 increasing revenue (FTF is the latest example but won't be the last).

As for RCL profitability, they have a strong european presence and they took a hit when Concordia sank as it soured people's desire to cruise, plus europe's economy is tanking. Their mega ships are very profitable though, using economies of scale for saving $. That's why they can have a cirque soleil show, diving show and guest entertainers whereas CCL has the marriage game and karoeke (legends).

You really don't understand economics, do you? We all know that CCL is in a downward spiral and would not/can not bring the extras that RCL does. But,hypothetically, if they did, why do you still think CCL would charge more? Before you say "To cover the cost!", you are ignoring the market.

If people think CCL is worth no more than $500, adding extra stuff will not change that. Oh sure, they could up service, food, etc and after so many years, word will get out that CCL has greatly improved, demand will increase (that already occurred) but in the short term, nope, no change. Market says CCL is worth $500pp. Add in a skating rink. Market says nope, CCL is worth $500pp. If you raise the price to $550 to cover extra stuff, you will sail with empty cabins. That's a fact- price above what market dictates and you sail with empty cabins.The market puts a lid on price increases. So,the only way to increase profits is to:

1) Make cutbacks on board

2) Increase revenue on onboard spending

Again, it is dumb to think that they "try to keep prices low" and the facts prove this. For example, it cost double to cruise during xmas as it does to cruise during the first week of december. Gee, if they wanted to "keep fares low", don't you think they would make the xmas cruise cost the same as the first week of dec cruise? Look at cruise prices for any time of the year and hopefully you'll notice that they are all based on DEMAND- the times when people want to travel most (ie, most demand) are the most $, the times when people travel the least are the cheapest.

Getting back to increasing profits, we have seen #1 with all the cutbacks. We have also seen #2 increasing revenue (FTF is the latest example but won't be the last).

As for RCL profitability, they have a strong european presence and they took a hit when Concordia sank as it soured people's desire to cruise, plus europe's economy is tanking. Their mega ships are very profitable though, using economies of scale for saving $. That's why they can have a cirque soleil show, diving show and guest entertainers whereas CCL has the marriage game and karoeke (legends).

You are still talking in circles and are avoiding answering my questions...Dennis

Archived