Travel Agent vs Online Booking

tony11727

I'm a novice, planning my fourth cruise in 15 years, so bare with me. I will be sailing on the Norwegian Gen in July 2013. I booked with a travel agent thinking it would be easier since my brother booked the cruise for his family from the same agent.

I'm traveling single and paying for a double room. I wanted to know if I could add my sister's son to my reservation to take him as a HS graduation gift. This evening I called Norwegian to find out what I need to do to add him to the reservation. The answer, call my travel agent because they own the reservation.

Huh? Why can't I get a question answered from Norwegian? I was seriously considering canceling the reservation with the travel agent and booking online so I can get an answer when I have a question, but I'd loose a seriously generous American Express on board credit, so I'm stuck having to ask questions during business hours.

I know, I'm a product of the 24/7, get ir when I want it mentality, but I really don't think it is unreasonable to expect to be able to get a question answered...

Am I being unreasonable and just cranky?

While that is a little bit dry from the call center, they should have not had much trouble answering your question, if you had a good TA, they should be able to answer the question.

Travel agents are two sided swords... if they're good at what they do, they are wonderful, and you'll never want to book online again. However, if they don't know the answers to questions, don't have much knowledge of the cruise industry or are downright unhelpful, then they are a misery, as they stop you, the passenger, from getting things done the way you like them done.

Of my 11 cruises, I've booked 9 myself, as most agents seemed oblivious, and indeed in most cases I was more well versed than they were- a big no no. However, while planning my last voyage, I found a wonderful agent- one that doesn't know the best hotels, but the general managers of the best hotels by name. One who won't speak to a reservation agent of a cruise line, but a Senior Vice President. These agents are out there, if you search hard enough. In terms of material value, my agent has given me over $750 on board credit, flowers, and a bottle of wine on my last cruise. Admittedly, it was an expensive cruise but most people got about $250. Nonetheless, forget about that- it's the knowledge and hand on experience of a top agent that makes them worthwhile. Otherwise, just go direct with the cruise line.

Hi. If you booked with a TA you need to contact them. NCL won't talk to you about your particular cruise. It's the same with other cruiselines as well.

If he's a minor you may need a signed letter to take him out of the country on a cruise as well.

Happy cruising!

Unreasonable and cranky, maybe! NCL can't talk to you about a reservation that you made with a TA. Sometimes they will give a basic answer, but the downside is, if they get sideways with what the TA has in mind, they've got problems. The TA is getting paid to handle the reservation and it cost's NCL money when a TA is involved. Either get a 24x7 TA or be patient. It's the same way with most cruise lines. You've got a long time to your cruise and this is a potential issue all the way till cruise time. You should have no problem adding your family member to your reservation.

That is standard procedure for nearly all cruise lines - they don't talk to you directly about your reservation and you need to work through your TA instead. Your TA can contact NCL on your behalf to make updates/changes, but most of the time NCL will not directly interface with you.

That is standard procedure for nearly all cruise lines - they don't talk to you directly about your reservation and you need to work through your TA instead. Your TA can contact NCL on your behalf to make updates/changes, but most of the time NCL will not directly interface with you.

Agree, Standard. Its not that NCL is necessarily unhelpful. YOUR TA does NOT want NCL talking to you direct. It may send the signal that they don't need the TA...so as much as NCL would prefer you to book direct, they must protect their TA's because they are a huge chunk of their business as well.:eek:

I'm a novice, planning my fourth cruise in 15 years, so bare with me. I will be sailing on the Norwegian Gen in July 2013. I booked with a travel agent thinking it would be easier since my brother booked the cruise for his family from the same agent.

I'm traveling single and paying for a double room. I wanted to know if I could add my sister's son to my reservation to take him as a HS graduation gift. This evening I called Norwegian to find out what I need to do to add him to the reservation. The answer, call my travel agent because they own the reservation.

Huh? Why can't I get a question answered from Norwegian? I was seriously considering canceling the reservation with the travel agent and booking online so I can get an answer when I have a question, but I'd loose a seriously generous American Express on board credit, so I'm stuck having to ask questions during business hours.

I know, I'm a product of the 24/7, get ir when I want it mentality, but I really don't think it is unreasonable to expect to be able to get a question answered...

Am I being unreasonable and just cranky?

You certainly can add your nephew to your reservation. Your travel agent can do this very easily. As a heads up, check into the AmEx credit. If your nephew is under 18, you might not get the full credit you were expecting. If he is 18, the full credit might get split between the two of you.

I understand wanting answers right away, but I do think it is a little unreasonable to expect an answer from NCL specific to your reservation when you booked with someone else. They will answer general questions and even send amenity and or shore excursion confirmations to you.

The only reason I used a TA was to get extra obc. The next time I'll go directly thru the line because they'll give you an answer right away. I had to haggle with my ta because I got a price drop and then he had to get involved and finally after 2 weeks gave me a drop in price.

The only reason I used a TA was to get extra obc. The next time I'll go directly thru the line because they'll give you an answer right away. I had to haggle with my ta because I got a price drop and then he had to get involved and finally after 2 weeks gave me a drop in price.

Wow, our TA got the couple price drops for us the same day and sent us confirmation.

For me the OBC we get is always worth using the TA.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly, I should not have booked with a travel agent and done it myself online. Perhaps I'm a bit of a novice, but in retrospect, no, I really don't think it was unreasonable to expect Norwegian to answer a question. Especially since, when I called the travel agent, she couldn't answer the question on her own. She had to call Norwegian for the answer.

We always use a travel agent, but we use her for all kinds of travel. She knows our credit card number by heart. :)

As for your nephew, there should be zero troubles adding him to your room. And your TA should know all the ins and outs of it.

Have fun!

Archived