CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

there is no aiutomatic gratuity in camp carnival, but you can certaimly adjust a bar gratuity.

The after hours activites have a 15% gratutity. I would never even think of removing it unless the service was very poor, and given some recent threads, it has been that way on recent Dream cruises at Camp Carnival.

Just wondering if that is an option anyone has tried.

This is the original post. And your point is that if we all withheld our auto tip we would be teaching Carnival how to do their business.

But, later on, you show how you tip, $20 to room steward, $40 to wait staff, and the rest spread around, leaving you $40 left over from the autotip.

So your remedy is to punish the staff in order to teach Carnival a lesson.

Just a way of cheaping out as far as I can see.

The better way would be for you not to sail on any of the cruise lines that do this, and send them a letter detailing your "protest".

Bingo !!! some people should go camping

The after hours activites have a 15% gratutity. I would never even think of removing it unless the service was very poor, and given some recent threads, it has been that way on recent Dream cruises at Camp Carnival.

Just wondering if that is an option anyone has tried.

15% of what?

If you believe 100% of the auto tips are going to the staff then I've got a ponzi scheme to talk to you about. Guarantee a lot of that money is finding its way to CCL's general expense accounts. I'd much rather tip cash and put it right where it belongs...in the hands of those staff who go above and beyond to make my holiday enjoyable.

Not only do you not want to tip, but now you're accusing Carnival of committing fraud. As a shareholder, I would caution you that such libelous statements affect share price and are actionable. Be careful of making false and malicious statements in a public forum.

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Next cruise, I am going to cancel the tips and reward the deserving staff directly. Now some of you are going to howl "what about the dishwashers and other crew members you don't come in contact with". That's just my point. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

Even tho I always allow them to take our tips automactially I have to say that I agree with your point of view very much

I love it when the CD tells you if you see something you like in one DI store, do not wait until you get to the DI store in the last port and expect to get a cheaper price. Why? They may not have the same item!!!! Really, what he is telling you....in the first port (remember many passengers are on their first sailing ever) you haven't had time to check prices with the other stores in the port. So, you will think that you are getting a good deal and he is sure to get his commission. Once, you have time to comparison shop in the ports, you will not think that DI is giving you such a good deal.

While you may be on vacation, the CD is working hard to get those extra commissions from all the sales made by DI in every port. :D

MARAPRINCE

This is a well-respected system that has worked well for a long time. Ask any bartender or waitress worth their salt if they would like to go on a straight salary... they'd tell you no thank you. The IRS would LOVE for them to switch to a regular payroll because then they can capture all those lost taxes on undeclared tips.

You are only arguing for arguments sake.

Back in the day I worked my families restaurant and a couple other places while in school. I made minimum plus tips. Back than we didnt claim our tips.

Today they make less than minimum and have to claim all their tips.THAT SUCKS

Back in the day I worked my families restaurant and a couple other places while in school. I made minimum plus tips. Back than we didnt claim our tips.

Today they make less than minimum and have to claim all their tips.THAT SUCKS

No one I know claims all their tips but we give the IRS their cut :)

Not only do you not want to tip, but now you're accusing Carnival of committing fraud. As a shareholder, I would caution you that such libelous statements affect share price and are actionable. Be careful of making false and malicious statements in a public forum.

as a shareholder, you should look into carnival's p&o line threatening doing just this.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4816

You should read all of my posts before commenting. If you did, you will note my initial comment was retracted after reflecting and considering some of the comments here. I think CCL does remit the gratuities as advertised but still think it's wrong to force people to pay gratuities up front then have to go to the cruise desk to have them removed. JMHO.

You should read all of my posts before commenting. If you did, you will note my initial comment was retracted after reflecting and considering some of the comments here. I think CCL does remit the gratuities as advertised but still think it's wrong to force people to pay gratuities up front then have to go to the cruise desk to have them removed. JMHO.

not only this they should have a big sign that says "this line for gratuity removal only".

yeah, but i would never pay a babysitter and then tip her too.

Do they add 15% onto the babysitting? I just used that as an example. You are paying for the program. I guess I could have used spa treatments.

yeah, but i would never pay a babysitter and then tip her too.

Apparently your boss doesn't have the same feelings concerning your year end bonus (that you were so proud to point out that you make earlier in the thread)....

Apparently your boss doesn't have the same feelings concerning your year end bonus (that you were so proud to point out that you make earlier in the thread)....

bonus is a contract. not sure the relevance with tipping. and my boss doesn't pay it.

bonus is a contract. not sure the relevance with tipping. and my boss doesn't pay it.

So any 16 year old girl who would babysit your kids better have a written contract... Would you pay her for 4 hours if you were only gone 3:45?

No one I know claims all their tips but we give the IRS their cut :)

Most "tips" nowadays are in the form of credit on the card... So YES almost all tips are now reported. The occasional cash tip may slide BUT the IRS has done some pretty good number crunching and depending on what zip code you are from they know the range you should be getting... and they do audit people who make most of their money from tips.

Most "tips" nowadays are in the form of credit on the card... So YES almost all tips are now reported. The occasional cash tip may slide BUT the IRS has done some pretty good number crunching and depending on what zip code you are from they know the range you should be getting... and they do audit people who make most of their money from tips.

been bartending for 20 years and most tips are cash and those on a credit card need to be reported by me.I was audited once and they owed me money :)

Archived