Embassy Suites 17th Street or Bahia Mar Beach-Ft Lauderdale?

canadianbear

Never having been to Ft Lauderdale before we are wondering about these two hotels that we think we have narrowed it down to. Will be arriving mid April 2013 and wanting to stay 2 or 3 nights pre-cruise. Will not have a vehicle.

I'm not one that feels comfortable using a bidding site. From looking at prices for these two particular hotels they are comparable in price. If we choose the Bahia Mar we would pay extra for the ocean view as it would be worth it since we don't know if we will be back again.

We just want to walk around and check out the local sites, restaurants, water taxi type stuff.

Thanks for any input and open to any other hotel suggestions under $200 a night. It will just be my husband and I.

I would definitely go for the Bahia Mar. The weather is usually lovely at the beach in April, the Water Tax is a block away, the beach area is full of live entertainers at night. Fort Lauderdale doesn't really have much in the way of sights, so the water is the draw. Embassy Suites is fine for a night but it's not in an entertaining area. Both hotels are close to downtown (Las Olas) where you should spend at least one evening.

Thank you both for your responses.

royalcruz-I think you are absolutely right the more I look into the pros and cons of both locations/hotels. We love the water and it doesn't make sense not to stay close to it while we are there. We will make sure we also go to Las Olas too.

Thanks again. I just needed that little push:)

Thank you both for your responses.

royalcruz-I think you are absolutely right the more I look into the pros and cons of both locations/hotels. We love the water and it doesn't make sense not to stay close to it while we are there. We will make sure we also go to Las Olas too.

Thanks again. I just needed that little push:)

You can get to Bonnet House and Galleria Mall by SunTrolley from either hotel.

DEfinitely the Bahia Mar. THe beach within steps and the walk down the beach/street to see the area is great at that time of year. A major stop for the water taxi is a block away. Head to the Bahia Cabana outdoor super casual restaurant on the waterway just a half block or so away. Fun spot to check out the yachts and changing look as it get dark.

Nothing wrong with the E Suites. But it sits on a busy street near restaurants and stores. No place to wiggle your toes in the sand for two or three days.;)

Las Olas Blvd is full of nice spots to eat and many specialty shops to browse.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I agree-if we were only 1 night we would stay at the Embassy but staying several nights I'd like to be close to the beach-to wiggle my toes in the sand! (Lago Mar was $100 more per night)

I'm not into shopping so it will be nice to stroll along the marina area and beach and I like that it's close to the water taxi.

Thanks again everyone. I'm sure we will have a wonderful pre-cruise time.

I'm looking at April (already said that before and thanks for the guidance)....now just deciding about when to come in from L.A. If we come late Thursday we get in at 6AM.. then have to spend till 3 trapsing around killing time before getting into hotel. If we come Friday...we will get in at 11:30PM... At least then we would go right to hotel, get a good night sleep and be able to have a nice day on Sat. (we board Sun)

Coordinating with 2 others so waiting their thoughts but we are 5 ladies over 45....and would like shopping and water and nice food and decent hotel, but not real pricey.

Looking at Bahia Mar, Hilton Marina, Gallery One. Thoughts?

We will also stay Sunday night so should we stay back where we started or try a lesser $$ hotel for just the one night. Staying over Sunday since the Monday airfares are so much less.

Also..... can someone explain the water taxi. Thanks much.

I'm looking at April (already said that before and thanks for the guidance)....now just deciding about when to come in from L.A. If we come late Thursday we get in at 6AM.. then have to spend till 3 trapsing around killing time before getting into hotel. If we come Friday...we will get in at 11:30PM... At least then we would go right to hotel, get a good night sleep and be able to have a nice day on Sat. (we board Sun)

Coordinating with 2 others so waiting their thoughts but we are 5 ladies over 45....and would like shopping and water and nice food and decent hotel, but not real pricey.

Looking at Bahia Mar, Hilton Marina, Gallery One. Thoughts?

We will also stay Sunday night so should we stay back where we started or try a lesser $$ hotel for just the one night. Staying over Sunday since the Monday airfares are so much less.

Also..... can someone explain the water taxi. Thanks much.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687409

As I recall around $15 to the port in the A.M. and maybe...I'm thinking something like $22 from the airport. Mpre specific answers will probably follow.

What is the rate on LMT for Bahia Mar? There are 3 different room types...sometimes listed as such on LMT. Standard room- Marina room and Tower room...in that order from least to highest cost.

Those cab prices are lower than I was thinking...thanks!

The courtyard and marina are $112 (plus tax)

Partial Oceanview is 135.00

Ocean Front View is 159.00

Are those rates good or can I do better on Hotwire or Priceline? I just like to use LMT because most of them are refundable up to 3 days before the stay.

Jyllie,

You didn't say when you will be there. So not sure the price is good for that date. But you are correct that using LMT you will have the opportunity to cancel or rebook if rates drop there. If you use the phone number on the site and call your reservation in, they sometimes will offer a lower cost too.

Courtyard rooms...meh. Marina rooms face the boats and piers. Nice. Partial and oceanview will be in the tower which is where we like to stay ...we like the view when coming from the cold midwest! The partial would be on the side facing the marina and ocean. You get a taste of both views.

Have fun.

what is LMT?

lastminutetravel.com

The good rates that pop up at this site ARE refundable up to 4 days prior to stay date. So it is popular as you shop for even better deals near to the date on Pl or HW. There are ways to figure out the hotelson LMT if the details and pictures don't help out.

Archived