Car Accidents While Driving Rentals in Mexico

Article in today's Washington Post Travel Section about having an accident while driving in Mexico.

ComingAndGoing

Sunday, May 15, 2005; Page P01

ROAD TRIPS FROM HELL

Mexican Fiasco

Warren Eisenberg of Chevy Chase, vacationing in Cozumel, Mexico, had just pulled from a stop sign when a motorcycle driver later found to be drunk hit his rental car. The cyclist went to the hospital with a broken leg. Eisenberg, despite having bought Mexican auto insurance, went to jail .

A man saying he represented the motorcyclist initially demanded $2,000 in cash . When the man heard that the cyclist's blood test showed he was drunk, his demand dropped to $500. Additionally, authorities insisted that Eisenberg pay $800 cash for what he was told was "bail." Authorities refused to give Eisenberg any receipts or documents , but released him once family members came up with $1,300 cash -- about 12 hours after the March 30 accident.

Eisenberg then returned home to find that LessPay Car R ental , a small Mexican outfit, had billed his credit card an extra $1,125. LessPay said the insurance Eisenberg bought had a $1,000 deductible, and that the company had also paid his $180 fine. (CoGo realizes these figures don't add up. LessPay did not respond to an e-mail from CoGo, and the U.S. phone number on its Web site doesn't work.)

Turns out Eisenberg's treatment is pretty standard. A U.S. State Department report on Mexico warns: "If you are involved in an automobile accident [in Mexico] you will be taken into police custody until it can be determined who is liable and whether you have the ability to pay the penalty. If you do not have Mexican liability insurance, you may be prevented from departing the country even if you require life-saving medical care, and you are almost certain to spend some time in jail until all parties are satisfied that responsibility has been assigned and adequate financial satisfaction received."

Mexico does not recognize any U.S. coverage your insurer or credit cards may provide for rental vehicles. Additionally, Mexican insurance is invalid if you are found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Eisenberg has challenged the $1,125 charge with his credit card company. U.S. State Department spokeswoman Kelly Shannon said he would have to hire a Mexican attorney to try to get the money back.

Bottom line: If you're going to drive in Mexico, buy Mexican liability insurance, insist on a document outlining what it covers and carry it with you. In addition, the U.S. State Department urges Americans traveling overseas to register with the U.S. embassy and to carry embassy phone numbers. To register with U.S. embassies and get a contact list: http://www.travel.state.gov .

or that reason alone I dont like renting cars in foreign ports.

For one--these people know you have a ship to catch and you will do everything inyour power-- including paying out the gazoo-- to make sure you catch that ship. I amnot willing to take that chance.

Whew! Appreciate the post! That clears up the renting possiblity for me.:eek: Was considering since there are 5 of us, but no pressure for me, I worry about everything anyway and that is one I can do without! :D

or that reason alone I dont like renting cars in foreign ports.

For one--these people know you have a ship to catch and you will do everything inyour power-- including paying out the gazoo-- to make sure you catch that ship. I amnot willing to take that chance.

serene56, has pegged the situation many cruisers find themselves in correctly.

In Mexico, a traffic accident isn't a civil violation. It is treated as a criminal violation and all participants are "held" until they can prove that they can take responsibility for their "crime".

I've always, in the past, used Sanborn's as a carrier in Mexico, as they are recognized 100% by the Mexican government and the sticker you place on the window helps you avoid many of the antics that await you when you travel in Mexico.

I lived in Mexico and, in addition to liability insurance, I also carried legal insurance. Sanborns is one of the major companies. It was very inexpensive and would cover such problem encountered above. I would strongly discourage the casual tourist from driving in Mexico. It can be dangerous. There are "Bandidos" especially near the west coast near Acapulco who are bold enough to hold up entire buses. And, if they don't get you, the police will.

Getting back to accidents, it is the law that everyone goes to jail. Then, it becomes a free-fo-all until eberything gets sorted out. And, Americans lose all the time.

Ya know... Sometimes you have to wonder if maybe countries like Mexico know something we don't?

I know that most states in the US require proof of insurance to register a car. But what about the people who don't own a car? Or the people who drive without a license or without insurance? How many times do you read about people getting into accidents and the other person didn't have a valid license or valid insurance? I bet if people were detained until they could prove financial responsibility, more people would either stop driving illegaly (hah!) or at least carry insurance!

That being said, just use some common sense in Mexico (or any foreign country) and get any and all necessary insurance coverages, If not sure, ask and get everything in writing.

Archived