Enterprise One Way Rentals IAH to Galveston

megmno

For what its worth (which isn't much!) I was able to get a price quote for a one way rental from IAH to Galveston by calling their reservations number. (You can't do it online.)

The only problem is that the cost was astronomical - $350 for a three day rental. If you are dropping it on a Sunday you also have to agree to be responsible for any damage to the car from when you drop the keys off in the box until they open on Monday.)

I've got a car reserved from Advantage for $320 (standard sized car) for ten days. Even with paying to park it for the week I'll still be coming out ahead since I won't need to get Carnival's transfers back to IAH after the cruise at $40 pp.

This is well known by those that sail out of Galveston. Enterprise is the only rental agency and they are not open on Sunday, close at noon on Saturday. It is a franchise so they make their own rules.

Hetz was here pre-Ike, but never returned.

None of us on the island understand why other car rental agencies don't open here.

This is well known by those that sail out of Galveston. Enterprise is the only rental agency and they are not open on Sunday, close at noon on Saturday. It is a franchise so they make their own rules.

Hetz was here pre-Ike, but never returned.

None of us on the island understand why other car rental agencies don't open here.

With all the ships that will be in Galveston this year I think somebody needs to work on this. Maybe someone affiliated with either the Port of Galveston or the City of Galveston needs to work on the rental car issue. You'd think a city like Galveston that thrives on tourism would have more options available for car rentals. Enterprise closing on Sundays and 1/2 day on Sat. is absolutely ridiculous.

• 5 months later...

Renting from the airport was over $200 for economy car because of drop fee and airport tax, only choice is enterprise, as they're the only rental company in Galveston. If instead you take a cab to the nearby enterprise office on will clayton parkway, there's less tax and no drop fee. Rate for 1 day with all fees $41. Even with $20 cab cost to there office, I saved over $150. Didn't check on return because don't want the hassle, will use cruise ship transfer for that. We came a day early, so rental will let us do some touring before boarding the ship. Took me 2 days to figure out this loophole, so wanted to save you guys the trouble.

Renting from the airport was over $200 for economy car because of drop fee and airport tax, only choice is enterprise, as they're the only rental company in Galveston. If instead you take a cab to the nearby enterprise office on will clayton parkway, there's less tax and no drop fee. Rate for 1 day with all fees $41. Even with $20 cab cost to there office, I saved over $150. Didn't check on return because don't want the hassle, will use cruise ship transfer for that. We came a day early, so rental will let us do some touring before boarding the ship. Took me 2 days to figure out this loophole, so wanted to save you guys the trouble.

Good information!

What ship were you on?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'd one way at the beginning of our cruise and one way back?

It's me plus three kids so a shuttle really adds up.

Thoughts?

The only car rental company on the island is Enterprise. They charge a ridiculous one-way fee because they can. They also close at noon on Saturday and are not open on Sunday so if you drop off on one of those days, you will be charged for the rental until Monday.

I think you can find other transportation for less than what you would pay for a rental car one-way.

According to another poster

Whether its works I do not know!

"Renting from the airport was over $200 for economy car because of drop fee and airport tax, only choice is enterprise, as they're the only rental company in Galveston. If instead you take a cab to the nearby enterprise office on will clayton parkway, there's less tax and no drop fee. Rate for 1 day with all fees $41. Even with $20 cab cost to there office, I saved over $150. Didn't check on return because don't want the hassle, will use cruise ship transfer for that. We came a day early, so rental will let us do some touring before boarding the ship. Took me 2 days to figure out this loophole, so wanted to save you guys the trouble."

We're still at Harbor House. Will board Disney Magic in a couple of hours. We have room 302, which is the corner that faces the harbor and has a window looking up the harbor toward the cruise terminal. It has one king. I have small kids so 3 on the bed & 1 on the sofa worked. I was more interested in the view than the beds. Has window facing across the harbor and other window faces up the harbor with view of the magic. Many nice restaurants within a few hundred feet and within walking distance of cruise terminal, albeit a long walk, maybe a half mile. Very short cab ride in any event.

I think I've attached a photo of the Magic we just took from the hotel room window, first time I've posted a picture we'll see if it works.

The cab from the airport to the off airport Enterprise office on Will Clayton Parkway for the 4 of us was less than $13, so I gave him a twenty. Since it was a short trip & he'll have to wait in the cab line quite a while, I gave him a bigger tip.

I have never been to Galveston before. More to see and do than I realized.

Enterprise can't drop you off at cruise terminal, but can take you to Harbor House.

20130118_092400.jpg.b86c0d49fbce7edc2b3d9b21300860f1.jpg

We're still at Harbor House. Will board Disney Magic in a couple of hours. We have room 302, which is the corner that faces the harbor and has a window looking up the harbor toward the cruise terminal. It has one king. I have small kids so 3 on the bed & 1 on the sofa worked. I was more interested in the view than the beds. Has window facing across the harbor and other window faces up the harbor with view of the magic. Many nice restaurants within a few hundred feet and within walking distance of cruise terminal, albeit a long walk, maybe a half mile. Very short cab ride in any event.

I think I've attached a photo of the Magic we just took from the hotel room window, first time I've posted a picture we'll see if it works.

The cab from the airport to the off airport Enterprise office on Will Clayton Parkway for the 4 of us was less than $13, so I gave him a twenty. Since it was a short trip & he'll have to wait in the cab line quite a while, I gave him a bigger tip.

I have never been to Galveston before. More to see and do than I realized.

Enterprise can't drop you off at cruise terminal, but can take you to Harbor House.

Thanks for info!!!!!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE

I was quoted $330 for a one-way rental of an economy car. For a one day rental.

See above post for their successful approach.

Maybe the poster will come back on?????

and

See other threads and posts on subject:

Try these two services which have had good reviews on this forum:

Cornerstone Elite Limo

Extreme Elegance Limo

I just checked with Enterprise for one way rental from Hobby to Galveston. $129.69 for one day. Drop off by 11:30am. Not sure I want to do this. Taxi is $107 approx. It would be nice to have rental car to run around in but not sure I want the hassle. We'll see.

Enterprise considers Galveston to be local to Houston, but only if you don't rent at the airport itself. If you take a taxi to the closest off-airport Enterprise office, you will have no drop off fees or airport fees. Our rental from Enterprise just off Bush airport to Galveston for one day was $41, including tax. We got back this morning into Galveston. We had packed light and carried off our own luggage this morning. Walked off at 8am, bus for Bush pulled out at 8:30am and arrived at Bush at 10am.

Enterprise considers Galveston to be local to Houston, but only if you don't rent at the airport itself. If you take a taxi to the closest off-airport Enterprise office, you will have no drop off fees or airport fees. Our rental from Enterprise just off Bush airport to Galveston for one day was $41, including tax. We got back this morning into Galveston. We had packed light and carried off our own luggage this morning. Walked off at 8am, bus for Bush pulled out at 8:30am and arrived at Bush at 10am.
What is the closest Enterprise office to Bush?

It's on Will Clayton Parkway, which is literally the road that goes into the airport. It was $13 for the cab ride to get there from the airport terminal. I gave the driver a $20 for the ride & tip.
Great info! Just booked a car both ways and saved around 200.00 over the other options. I confirmed it with the reservation person at Enterprise and recived confirmed rentals.

This is my third cruise. The first two were out of Florida and went off without a hitch. I wanted to visit Belize and Cozumel again so the Western Caribbean Crown Princess out of Galveston looks like a good bet. I am taking 16 people, across four generation with me. Should be great!

Unfortunately, to say the whole rental car situation sucks is putting it lightly. Princess wants to charge $35 per person each way is crazy expensive. That's $560 each way or $1,120 for round trip not to mention it is only available the day you embark and debark.

Not a problem I thought, with so many people, I'll just rent two mini vans and have the option to visit other places, etc. That's where my trouble began. Our cruise leave on March 23rd, a Saturday. The only rental car company that is open for me to drop off the car is Enterprise. I just called them and the nice lady on the phone rambled off a bunch of numbers.

The base rate was decent but then I heard something about $100 drop off fee. She kept going about this tax and that tax (due to the fact that I am picking up at an airport no doubt) and she finally arrived at the final cost of the whole thing. It's a whopping $401 for a two day rental and that's only for one van. I didn't even bother asked her what my return trip would cost. I might as well just rent the car for the whole week and then return it back at the airport. I think she said $695 if I went that route. Still not sure what I am going to do....

Have you inquired about hiring a limo/bus company for a trip from airport to cruise port? Could be fun if you could get a super long stretch limo or at least a small motorcoach to take you privately to the port and back the following week.

Have you inquired about hiring a limo/bus company for a trip from airport to cruise port? Could be fun if you could get a super long stretch limo or at least a small motorcoach to take you privately to the port and back the following week.

Just following up, I did a quick lookup and found Elite Limo of Houston that offers a shuttle bus transfer to port from Houston starting at $295 for the one way transfer. There may be competitors who'll match and beat that.:cool:

This is my third cruise. The first two were out of Florida and went off without a hitch. I wanted to visit Belize and Cozumel again so the Western Caribbean Crown Princess out of Galveston looks like a good bet. I am taking 16 people, across four generation with me. Should be great!

Unfortunately, to say the whole rental car situation sucks is putting it lightly. Princess wants to charge $35 per person each way is crazy expensive. That's $560 each way or $1,120 for round trip not to mention it is only available the day you embark and debark.

Not a problem I thought, with so many people, I'll just rent two mini vans and have the option to visit other places, etc. That's where my trouble began. Our cruise leave on March 23rd, a Saturday. The only rental car company that is open for me to drop off the car is Enterprise. I just called them and the nice lady on the phone rambled off a bunch of numbers.

The base rate was decent but then I heard something about $100 drop off fee. She kept going about this tax and that tax (due to the fact that I am picking up at an airport no doubt) and she finally arrived at the final cost of the whole thing. It's a whopping $401 for a two day rental and that's only for one van. I didn't even bother asked her what my return trip would cost. I might as well just rent the car for the whole week and then return it back at the airport. I think she said $695 if I went that route. Still not sure what I am going to do....

The drop off fee comes into play if you rent from the enterprise location at the airport. Try calling the enterprise location in Humble (a $10 taxi ride from the airport) then there are no drop off fees. Two of you can go get the vans while everyone else collects luggage then swing back and pick them up. The enterprise in Galveston closes at 6pm on Fridays or opens at 9am they will give you a complimentary ride back to your hotel....

Archived