Seattle Before Alaska - Must Do?????

djmess

We are cruising Alaska next summer. Never been to Seattle or the State of Washington for that matter.

Want to know the must do things prior to the cruise. Should we stay 2 days, 3 days, 4 days. Willing to rent a car, but think about 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive time one way may be our limit. We want to see as much as possible. Traveling with my 10 y/o son, his Grandma, and Great-Grandma (mobility issues)

We will do Space Needle and Pikes Market, but don't know anything else.

Please help in my planning. Thanks

You didn't indicate your interests, so kinda hard to make suggestions. Seattle is pretty hilly so that could pose problems for your g'mother. OTOH, a taxi ride anywhere around town will only be around $10-$15.

The Market is a good place to visit first thing in the morning before it gets too crowded. From there you can visit the sculpture park next door. Be sure to ride the monorail from Westlake Center to the Seattle Center/Space Needle. It's about a 3 block walk from the Market. Walk down to the waterfront ... watch the ferry traffic, ride the new ferris wheel, the Aquarium, ride a water taxi over to Alki Beach at West Seattle and enjoy the city views (watch for bald eagles). Or take a ferry to Bremerton and back just to enjoy the ride, throw bread to the seagulls, and enjoy the views. Under $10 pp for a 3 hr ride RT. Take a taxi to the Woodland Park Zoo. Check out the city's tourism web sites:

http://seattle.gov/visiting/

http://visitseattle.org/Home.aspx

We are cruising Alaska next summer. Never been to Seattle or the State of Washington for that matter.

Want to know the must do things prior to the cruise. Should we stay 2 days, 3 days, 4 days. Willing to rent a car, but think about 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive time one way may be our limit. We want to see as much as possible. Traveling with my 10 y/o son, his Grandma, and Great-Grandma (mobility issues)

We will do Space Needle and Pikes Market, but don't know anything else.

Please help in my planning. Thanks

It might help to give us a little more to work with...

What sorts of things do you like? Beautiful natural scenery? Historic sites and artifacts? Art? Animals? Native American cultures? Music? Are you aviation buffs? Fans of rock and roll, or science fiction? Do you like cornball humor and kitsch, or does any hint of cutesy or silliness bore you? Do you like to shop--and if you do, do you like upscale mall-type stores, or more offbeat, arty stuff? What kinds of foods do you like? Are you serious foodies, or do you have more basic tastes in what you eat? Are you okay with organized group tours, or would you rather avoid those? Does Great-Grandma use a wheelchair? If there's something you want to do that she's not able, would it be acceptable to park her somewhere pleasant while you go off for an hour or two? And do you know yet what dates you'll be here?

Thanks for the info so far.

I was purposely vague as we have a 10 y/o boy, late 40's mom, 60's Grandma and mid 80's Great Grandma. Totally varied tastes and I want to take all ideas to everyone and we will plan accordingly. I've been made aware of the hills. We plan on renting a scooter for GGma for the cruise and will look into the possibility of having it for our time in Seattle. We really don't want to have to fly with the regular old wheelchair, but will have one of those walkers that has the little seat. She is definitely Ok with staying someplace while others explore.

The Alaska cruise is her main dream. Well all of ours, but she says it will probably be her last "bucket list" place unless she hits the lotto. She lives in Florida and flying across country is a big deal for her.

We are not Foodies. We like to see the sites and what makes a place tick. We also want to know what is to see that is outside of Seattle, thus the possibility of staying maybe 3-5 days prior to the cruise. If there isn't anything outside of the city (up to 2 hours one way) that is a must see, then we may only stay a night or 2. If we do the longer stay we will definitely rent a car to get around.

Thanks again

Thanks for the info so far.

I was purposely vague as we have a 10 y/o boy, late 40's mom, 60's Grandma and mid 80's Great Grandma. Totally varied tastes and I want to take all ideas to everyone and we will plan accordingly. I've been made aware of the hills. We plan on renting a scooter for GGma for the cruise and will look into the possibility of having it for our time in Seattle. We really don't want to have to fly with the regular old wheelchair, but will have one of those walkers that has the little seat. She is definitely Ok with staying someplace while others explore.

The Alaska cruise is her main dream. Well all of ours, but she says it will probably be her last "bucket list" place unless she hits the lotto. She lives in Florida and flying across country is a big deal for her.

We are not Foodies. We like to see the sites and what makes a place tick. We also want to know what is to see that is outside of Seattle, thus the possibility of staying maybe 3-5 days prior to the cruise. If there isn't anything outside of the city (up to 2 hours one way) that is a must see, then we may only stay a night or 2. If we do the longer stay we will definitely rent a car to get around.

Thanks again

Well...just taking the ten-year-old boy, for example. Some ten-year-olds would be fascinated by the Boeing plant tour in Everett (ginormous building, new airplanes in various stages of assembly); some would like the old historic planes and spacecraft at the Museum of Flight or the Flying Heritage Collection; other ten-year-olds would love the Indian dancing and storytelling at Tillicum Village; others would think it was cool to walk around underneath the sidewalks on the Underground Tour; still others might find it fun to ride around on streets and right into the lake, listening to corny jokes and quacking at people, on the Ride the Ducks tour; some would be fascinated visiting the Ballard Locks and watching them raise and lower the boats, or riding through them and seeing it from that angle; a kid with musical inclinations could spend all day dinking around with the interactive exhibits at the Experience Music Project; one who was into science might find the Pacific Science Center fun; a place like the Seattle Art Museum wouldn't be too sophisticated for some ten-year-olds, and a lot of kids would like to watch the glassblowers work at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma; if he likes geology, or just things that blow up, he'd probably love a trip to Mount St. Helens; a baseball fan might like to see a Mariners game or tour Safeco Field; a kid who's into soccer might love a Sounders game; one who loves animals might have a ball at Northwest Trek or Woodland Park Zoo or whale watching on Puget Sound; and the next ten-year-old would be totally, utterly bored by those same experiences. So if you gave us a hint of some of the kinds of things that any of you like, we could probably give you better advice.

And the dates would help. May and June are likely to be cooler and more drizzly--not as good for outdoor things if that's going to bother you. July and August are warmer and more sunny, but also more crowded. And of course, there are the special events--Folklife, Fremont Solstice, Seafair, Bumbershoot...all things you might want to do if you're here then, or stay far away from to avoid the crowds and traffic, depending on your tastes.

And that's just focusing on some possible interests of a ten-year-old--that doesn't even start getting into things that a kid might only tolerate, but Mom or Grandma or Great-Grandma might love!

Any of the above would give you some insights into what makes Seattle and western Washington tick. Every local would give you a different list of essentials, but I think something aerospace-related (the Boeing tour, one of the museums) would be an important part of that kind of visit. Also, definitely, include some time out of the city, hanging with Mother Nature, whether it's a short drive out to Snoqualmie Falls or a ferry ride on the Sound, or a longer trip to Mount Rainier or Mount St. Helens or the Olympic Peninsula or the San Juan Islands. You've already mentioned Pike Place Market and the Space Needle--I agree, those are essentials. Some people could spend a week here and still feel like they'd missed a lot they wanted to see, while others could see everything they'd really care about in a day or two.

Casagordita - I just want to give you the biggest thanks.

This 47 y/o mom would love everything you listed and I think my son will love 95% of what you listed.

We are going the first week of August 2013.

I honestly thought about spending a week in Seattle, but the Grandmas were thinking a little less. I'm of the idea if I'm flying over 3000 miles, I want to see as much as possible and what is a few extra days. We even have the option of my son and I flying in earlier then they do or actually staying a few days post cruise. After reading your list, I think I'm definitely staying a week. Fortunately we have a very flexible schedule right now and I want to start planning so I can begin to think about airfare. I have some frequent flyer miles for at least 1 free ticket and some companion fares for $99 with US Airways. Now this may or may not be the way we fly in, but as I'm in charge, I want to start making my plan and figuring the most economical way for the 4 of us to fly.

We booked a suite on NCL. Our first ever, so if we tire out in Seattle/Washington, we can relax on the cruise whenever we are not in a port. I plan on being exhausted after this trip and needing to sleep a few days at home afterward. Too me, that's the sign of an awesome vacation!

Casagordita - I just want to give you the biggest thanks.

This 47 y/o mom would love everything you listed and I think my son will love 95% of what you listed.

We are going the first week of August 2013.

You're most welcome!

The first weekend of August is typically Seafair--hydroplane races and the Blue Angels' air show over Lake Washington. Add that to your list of possibilities! But if you're here over Seafair weekend, that will also mean more demand for hotels, so do book early.

I honestly thought about spending a week in Seattle, but the Grandmas were thinking a little less. I'm of the idea if I'm flying over 3000 miles, I want to see as much as possible and what is a few extra days. We even have the option of my son and I flying in earlier then they do or actually staying a few days post cruise. After reading your list, I think I'm definitely staying a week. Fortunately we have a very flexible schedule right now and I want to start planning so I can begin to think about airfare. I have some frequent flyer miles for at least 1 free ticket and some companion fares for $99 with US Airways. Now this may or may not be the way we fly in, but as I'm in charge, I want to start making my plan and figuring the most economical way for the 4 of us to fly.

I'm with you--if I'm going to fly that far to go somewhere I've never been and may not get there again, I want to see a lot of it!

If you do rent a car, you'll have more choices of where to stay. If you're staying several days you might even save enough by staying somewhere a little more out-of-the-way, but not totally remote, to pay for the car. There are some less-expensive hotels (including some extended-stay suites that would work great for a family like yours) on the east side of Tukwila, and into Renton, near West Valley Highway and Highway 167--not a great location if you're depending on cabs and public transportation, but fine if you have your own wheels. You might want to stay somewhere like that a few days while you have the car, and do things outside of central Seattle--then return the car and switch to a more central hotel downtown or near Seattle Center (where things are closer together and public transit is better, but parking is scarce and expensive).

Other things to consider that might appeal more to the grownups (while not excluding your son): wine tasting in Woodinville; driving the loop up to Anacortes, across Deception Pass and down Whidbey Island; shopping the Fremont Sunday Market; visiting the Olympic Sculpture Park; a day trip to Port Townsend (pretty area, nice shops and restaurants, lots of beautiful Victorian architecture).

We booked a suite on NCL. Our first ever, so if we tire out in Seattle/Washington, we can relax on the cruise whenever we are not in a port. I plan on being exhausted after this trip and needing to sleep a few days at home afterward. Too me, that's the sign of an awesome vacation!

You may need a vacation to recover from your vacation, but it will be worth it!

If you think of more questions--like which sights are near each other, or easy to combine in a day trip or an overnight--just come back and ask. If you're adventurous enough to rent a car and do a couple of day trips or even an overnight outside of Seattle, as well as spending some time in the city, you can see a whole lot of cool stuff!

If rainier is too far (I think it is worth it...look at sunrise side of mountain...sunnier...and accessible picnic tables and paths.

or you could drive over hiway 2 to leavenworth for the day.. and see the heart of the mountains.

whidbey island is an easy loop drive...go to ferry (just past boeing plant) and stop at Ft. Casey (visit the lighthouse visitor center), deception pass, coupeville for lunch ..then past anacortes, la conner (quilt museum..not accessible--has stairs). and back down 1-5 to seattle.

You guys are so AWESOME!:)

Now I guess I should ask for inexpensive, but clean hotel ideas. Since it is fleetweek, I don't mind reserving this far out, I can plan and change if something better comes along. I'm thinking I will definitely stay a week, or at least 4-5. nights

I just returned from a trip with my 70 year old parents and 7 year old son. We just stayed a couple days downtown without a car and with the idea that we would do more urban rather than nature activities in Seattle since we'd follow that up with a nature driven cruise. We all (young and old) loved lunch at the Space Needle. It was a pricey lunch but the food was surprisingly excellent, view wonderful and overall experience relaxing and exciting at the same time. We made reservations and joined their Celebration Club (free, online) in advance. If you register they will send you a coupn good for a free dessert for each lunch purchased. Our lunch was so filling that none of us wanted dessert but we did split one Lunar Orbitor which was an experience unto itself.

We stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel which was a quick walk to the market and the monorail. It is also across the street from a great mall and next door to a Gameworks. My son and I bartered an hour of shopping for an hour of Gameworks. Near the Ferris Wheel (which we didn't go on because the line was more than an hour long) is Ye Olde Curiosity Shop which is fun. The aquarium is also nice. We hit the market one afternoon and went back the next morning. We preferred the quiet of the morning. There is a "food tour" of the market which I would have liked to try but we were out of time

You do not need a car if you are not leaving the city. Buses are plentiful, safe and free. Hotels downtown are expensive so I would suggest either staying just a couple nights downtown or staying further out if you plan an extended stay.

If you like nature activities I strongly recommend a trip to the mountains, Ranier, mt St Helen's or even just Steven's pass. It sounds like you are flat landers from the east, like me originally. Seeing what real mts look like compared to the hills they call mts in the Midwest and south is an experience. Even just looking out the car window should be fun for gramma. The driving loop up to Whidbey island with the ferry one way and a stop at Deception pass bridge on the other leg is fun. The wife and I did that just this past weekend for something to do. She wouldn't go more than half way onto the bridge. It's a very long way down :)

Now I guess I should ask for inexpensive, but clean hotel ideas. Since it is fleetweek, I don't mind reserving this far out, I can plan and change if something better comes along. I'm thinking I will definitely stay a week, or at least 4-5. nights

I recommend doing some research using sister website Tripadvisor.com You can narrow things down to Washington State or further down to Seattle and get lists of activities, hotels, and dining as well as traveler reviews. Or, buy a few guidebooks such as Frommer's, Fodor's or AAA Tourbooks if you're a member.

Once you've narrowed things down, then ask specific questions and people can really be a lot more helpful and responses will be more plentiful. If you simply don't have time to do the "heavy lifting", maybe a travel agent is a good idea. Help everyone help you :)

DH and I are reviewing info on Seattle and would like to see the Market, Space Needle, Ferry to Bainbridge Island and a few local sites. Should we book a 2 day bus pass on the hop on/hop off for about $35 or put it toward entrance fees? It looks like you could walk to most sites from our hotel in the downtown area. We have 2 full days before the cruise. We walk about 2 miles each day after work so we don't have mobility issues. We live in an area with many hills, certainly not flat ground. I may be looking at the map and have a misconception of how close everything looks.

Thanks

I wouldn't do the hop on hop off. Bus 99 is free and goes in the same general areas. A ferry ride to Bremerton is always a fun trip. Walk on for a small fee. It is an hour each way. Lots of beautiful sights from there. So many great things to see in the Seattle area you would need to stay a month to get them all in. Flight museum is easier and closer than Boeing and more interesting, especially for a young one. Mt Rainier is wonderful! Enjoy!

Archived