Ft Lauderdale Taxi Availability

Packman1000

We have cruised a number of times out of Ft. Lauderdale and usually spend a couple of days pre-cruise. We've always had hotels near the cruise port (17th ave.) that would shuttle us to the ship. Our next cruise is in January and the hotel prices are sky high. So I checked on how many ships are in port and found that 7 very large ships will depart with us - well over 25,000 passengers.

We'll likely have to stay a bit farther from the cruise port this time (maybe Hollywood Beach area) and am wondering if getting a taxi the morning of the cruise will be a problem with so many others doing the same. We like to get to the port before noon. Any suggestions? I know some will say this is the weekly norm in FLL on Saturdays and Sundays, but I've not seen that many large ships on one day before.

Just go ahead and book your favorite hotel in Fort Lauderdale and don't worry about the other 25,000 people. Unfortunately due to school schedules we cruise over Christmas and Easter Break during the peak season. It has never been a problem finding a cab in either direction. Hotel rates are higher in the peak season and that would be the only reason for staying away from the 17th street area. Please don't take the shuttle buses if you have to pay, it's cheaper in a cab. Enjoy your cruise.

If you were trying to catch an early flight I would be concerned but not in your case.

Personally, I would just be one of the last off the ship so that it is less crowded but if you want to be off earlier just be patient. You will get a cab but you might have to wait a few minutes.

Keith

If you were trying to catch an early flight I would be concerned but not in your case.

Personally, I would just be one of the last off the ship so that it is less crowded but if you want to be off earlier just be patient. You will get a cab but you might have to wait a few minutes.

Keith

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original message. I want to make sure I can get a taxi on the morning the ship departs - from our hotel to the port. We are thinking about staying at a small botique hotel on the beach. So, would we call the taxi company early in the morning and arrange for a pick up? I'm sure taxi's won't be cruising around a 16 unit motel.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original message. I want to make sure I can get a taxi on the morning the ship departs - from our hotel to the port. We are thinking about staying at a small botique hotel on the beach. So, would we call the taxi company early in the morning and arrange for a pick up? I'm sure taxi's won't be cruising around a 16 unit motel.

Taxis will be cruising around the big hotels nearby. Just call when you are ready. 7 cruise ships in one day has become quite normal for Fort Lauderdale weekends in the winter.

The large hotels at Hollywood Beach will have a cab line and if you phone for one it will be dispatched to your hotel, you should not have a problem at all other than having to wait an extra few minutes. SAS shuttle may also be an option for you.

Archived