New Orleans Port - Street car question

NJGem

I am hoping that anyone extremely familiar with New Orleans and the cruise port can answer this question for me. I have been looking at the street car maps and it almost appears that the Riverfront Streetcar line goes to the port. Is it possible to catch a streetcar or bus from the port to get to the tourist areas. We a very late flight out of New Orleans (it is a repositioning cruise). I am looking at all possibilities. Even if we take the tour through the ship, we will still have a long wait at the airport. I am also considering sending the bags ahead to the airport and spending the day on our own sightseeing in New Orleans. We could then get to the airport by taxi, shuttle, or bus. Any and all recommendations and information will be greatly appreciated.

When we cruised, it was in a non-busy time of the year last year and all I can say is the street cars were PACKED with barely any room to get on much less sit or have anything in your hands like a luggage on it.

I don't know if that is normal, but it was horrid the time we were there. We ONLY did it for the experience and would probably never try to get on one again. :cool:

We cruised the Elation this past May and our flight out of MSY didn't depart until 4pm (on purpose)

We used Advance Check In's service - they will take up to 4 bags to Louis Armstrong for $25. They also have a limo service that will pick you up from Cafe du Monde and take you MSY for $14pp - a lot cheaper than a cab.

You could take the streetcar but its not that far a walk to the FQ and other tourist areas from the port. The all day streetcar pass is $3pp and well worth it.

We cruised the Elation this past May and our flight out of MSY didn't depart until 4pm (on purpose)

We used Advance Check In's service - they will take up to 4 bags to Louis Armstrong for $25. They also have a limo service that will pick you up from Cafe du Monde and take you MSY for $14pp - a lot cheaper than a cab.

You could take the streetcar but its not that far a walk to the FQ and other tourist areas from the port. The all day streetcar pass is $3pp and well worth it.

Thank you for your reply. What you did was what I was hoping to be able to do. We don't mind walking and we will be able to send all our luggage for the $25.00 fee with Advance Check In. The information about the limo service is terrific news. Did you make reservations with them in advance of your cruise? I would have enjoyed the tour through the ship, but it still left us with a fair amount of time - our flight is at 6:30 pm. Also, there were places we wanted to see that the ship's tour wouldn't visit. The $3 day pass for the street car is a wonderful deal. Thank you once again for the helpful information. Happy Cruising!

Thank you for your reply. What you did was what I was hoping to be able to do. We don't mind walking and we will be able to send all our luggage for the $25.00 fee with Advance Check In. The information about the limo service is terrific news. Did you make reservations with them in advance of your cruise? I would have enjoyed the tour through the ship, but it still left us with a fair amount of time - our flight is at 6:30 pm. Also, there were places we wanted to see that the ship's tour wouldn't visit. The $3 day pass for the street car is a wonderful deal. Thank you once again for the helpful information. Happy Cruising!

I called Advance Check In / KLM transportation after Herfnerd reccommended them. The gentleman I spoke with confirmed all that Herfnerd said with regards to fee and pickup location. I guess they pick up at Cafe du Mondue every hour or something close to that. We have a flight at 4:45 pm upon our return so he said to plan for the 2 pm pickup. I asked him if i should book in advance and he said no. He said to just wait and do it when you get off of the ship. They wll have a booth there when you disembark. I believe that is also what Hernerd said the they did.

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a few extra hours in NO without lugging around bags. I plant on using them in November.

• 1 month later...

The street cars in N.O. are not just for tourists. Locals use them as their main transportation. Just avoid them in the early AM and in evenings when folks are going or leaving work. Mid day and there are few people riding. They are a super must for visiting New Orleans. At the end of the run you will have to get off and the conductor will flip the seats. You pay again and get back on in only a few minutes. Have a great visit!

Archived