Our (long) DIY experience in Istanbul with pictures

Going to Istanbul in October & your review has raised our excitement levels up a notch!....thank you:)

Can I ask how you found the restrooms, was there a charge? would you recommend going to a cafe for a comfort break? :o

Thanks again:)

We used the restroom at the meatball restaurant and it was fine. We didn't use any other restroom facilities, but I think it makes sense to take a break at a cafe or restaurant and use their facilities then.

Aw, thank you for the kind words! I'm glad my rambling has helped someone :)

Istanbul is a beautiful city and with a decent map of the area, it's fairly easy to navigate. Don't hesitate to ask the locals for assistance - they were all very kind and understanding.

Travelling in July

doing Istanbul was undecided on doing DIY or with Tour Operator Thomsons organised Trips

with your step by step guide I think I can feel quite confident in exploring on our own, can only get lost:D

As long as we find our way back to ship, also thinking of pre purchasing tickets for Places to visit, reduce waiting times hopefully

Can you buy Maps on ship of each port visited?

Meatball Restaurant looked very nice, directions to there would be good:-)

I'm not Attila, but I can answer some of your questions.

The Cistern is very close to Haghia Sophia. (In fact, all of the main sites in Sultanahmet are easy walking distance from each other.) If you walk up to the main street -- the one the tram runs on -- and cross over to the other side from Haghia Sophia, you should see signs pointing up a side street to the entrance of the Cistern. It's only about a half block from that main road. The Turkish name is Yerebatan Sarayi, but I think the signs are in English too.

If you want to go to Topkapi Palace on the tram (coming from the ship), the closest stop is called Gulhane. However, the next stop, Sultanahmet is the one that lets you off just at the Blue Mosque and it's not all that far to walk from either one. Gulhane is a bit closer though.

Yes, you can walk from the Grand Bazaar to the Spice Market, but unless you're going to the Grand Bazaar, it's easy to simply follow the tram track on foot back from Sultanahmet or Gulhane stops and you'll pass right by the Spice Market. Or if you're tired of walking, you can get on the tram (as if heading back to the ship) and get off at Eminonou stop. After shopping, hop back on the tram, go over the bridge and get off at the stop nearest your ship (where you got on).

Istanbul really is one of the easiest cities to get around in from a cruise ship for the day!

Here's a link to the tram map: http://www.hanedanhotel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/RayliSistemler.jpg

The blue line is the only one you'll need to use for the main tourist sites.

This link does not appear to be connected now, any ideas of another link?

I'm not Attila, but I can answer some of your questions.

The Cistern is very close to Haghia Sophia. (In fact, all of the main sites in Sultanahmet are easy walking distance from each other.) If you walk up to the main street -- the one the tram runs on -- and cross over to the other side from Haghia Sophia, you should see signs pointing up a side street to the entrance of the Cistern. It's only about a half block from that main road. The Turkish name is Yerebatan Sarayi, but I think the signs are in English too.

If you want to go to Topkapi Palace on the tram (coming from the ship), the closest stop is called Gulhane. However, the next stop, Sultanahmet is the one that lets you off just at the Blue Mosque and it's not all that far to walk from either one. Gulhane is a bit closer though.

Yes, you can walk from the Grand Bazaar to the Spice Market, but unless you're going to the Grand Bazaar, it's easy to simply follow the tram track on foot back from Sultanahmet or Gulhane stops and you'll pass right by the Spice Market. Or if you're tired of walking, you can get on the tram (as if heading back to the ship) and get off at Eminonou stop. After shopping, hop back on the tram, go over the bridge and get off at the stop nearest your ship (where you got on).

Istanbul really is one of the easiest cities to get around in from a cruise ship for the day!

Here's a link to the tram map: http://www.hanedanhotel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/RayliSistemler.jpg

The blue line is the only one you'll need to use for the main tourist sites.

All this information is making me feel very at ease of doing DIY Thank you:)

We will be in Istanbul next Nov. What was the weather when you were there? And was it still very busy with tourists?

Linda

I was in Istanbul this past November, and the weather was generally quite nice. Cool -- a nice break from our Miami heat; mostly I just needed a light jacket. The only time that I was really COLD was during our boat ride on the Bosphorus. Even my friend from New Jersey found that cold.

Hi Attila- I was wondering- did you (or anyone else reading this) happen to buy and spices or teas while there? If so, were you able to bring them back into the US? I know customs can be fairly particular about what qualifies as food or produce that could be brought back into the US, so I want to make sure that if we buy something we can actually bring it home!

I didn't buy either tea or spices, but did buy some delish Turkish Delight (Lokum) at the Spice Market, which I brought back with no problem.

Thank you for the very descriptive DIY info. My DD & I will be here next summer (2014) and are looking to do a mix of tours & DIY. You have given me confidence that I can do this one on my own!

Weird question on tram tokens.

Do you need a token for each trip? So if I take the tram up to the mosque I need one token & if I take it back to the ship area I need another one. I'm assuming yes I need one for each way, just like I would to take the bus here.

Weird question on tram tokens.

Do you need a token for each trip? So if I take the tram up to the mosque I need one token & if I take it back to the ship area I need another one. I'm assuming yes I need one for each way, just like I would to take the bus here.

Simple answer, yes you do need a token for each journey :)

Hi and thanks for your informative and colourful post. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions what to do other than the usual big sites? We were in Istanbul a few years ago and spent an intensive 2 days with and without a tour guide.

We will be there again this Fall and wanted to look at short day trips or travelling out of Istanbul and staying there for 2 nites and touring in the vicinity. The thing is - we don't want to travel too far as on the return day, our flight is early from Istanbul. Cappadocia is out, soooooo any other suggestions where to plant ourselves for the few days?

Thanks in advance.

We have booked a day trip out to the Princes Islands from Istanbul with our ship - sounds a bit different to the city: we did the city & Bosporous cruise last year & are going back for 2 days this year; the other day wr hope to do the HoHo bus to see the city from a different viewpoint & Aghia Sophia & Sulieymane Mosque which we missed.

Thanks for posting the great review and wonderful pictures. We are visiting Istanbul on the new Royal Princess this summer, and very excited to visit this exotic city for the first time. We are a group of 8 people and have hired Lale Kosagan to be our tour guide for the day. We really wanted to have someone tell us the history and stories behind all the places we'll be visiting. I've heard wonderful things about Lale and looking forward to a great day.

Just seeing this post now but thought you'd like to know that we had a great tour last June with Lale (full day) and then with her husband Kagan (1/2 day). Lale is very charming and you will get a great sense for the city. I would only caution you that Lale might take you to a rug seller (which was interesting but made us feel uncomfortable as we had no intention of buying anything). You may want to be clear with her in advance that you are not interested. Also, I wish we had gone to the Spice Market. She took us to the Grand Bazaar and then also to their shopping area (at the top of the hill and names fail me right now). We enjoyed seeing the shopping area and how Istanbulites live but are sorry we missed the Spice Market.

Enjoy your trip. It was truly incredible for us!

Has anyone used the HOHO bus in Istanbul? After reading recent reviews in Tripadvisor, I'd be wary of hopping on. We will have 2 days in mid-November after a cruise in Istanbul and have decided on DIY, using trams as needed. Then on to Capadoccia, but I may cancel the hot air balloon ride after fatal accidents there and in Egypt!

We have a full day tour booked with Sea Song but come into port the day before at 4pm. The day tour includes the Blue Mosque, Bascillica Cistern, Haiga Sophia, & the Grand Bazaar. Once we dock we should be able to disembark by 4:30pm. I've read that most sights will close around that time. Any suggestions on what to do once we reach port?

We have a full day tour booked with Sea Song but come into port the day before at 4pm. The day tour includes the Blue Mosque, Bascillica Cistern, Haiga Sophia, & the Grand Bazaar. Once we dock we should be able to disembark by 4:30pm. I've read that most sights will close around that time. Any suggestions on what to do once we reach port?

You could wander a bit at the Sulthanamet area and then do a roof top or Bosporus view dinner. Or cross the Galata Bridge and visit the Galata Tower and go to the restaurant in front of the bridge (Hamin?) for a kebab dinner and views to your ship.

Otherwise go to the modern area of Istanbul wich is on the same side where the ships docks and do evening strolling.

Thank you AttilaTheFun!

We are going to be in Istanbul in less than six weeks and wanted to DIY to discover at our own pace, thought we could and now, we are completely sure.

After seeing the picture of the class lanterns, I think I have to have one... :)

Glad people are still finding my advice helpful :) Coming up on the 1-year mark since our visit and Istanbul is still a place I'd love to visit again someday!

Maybe I have missed the answer or this is a stupid question but....

We are interested in visiting the Harem at the Topkapi Palace. Is there a separate entrance fee for this? The various private tours list the "treasury and weapons rooms" but nothing about seeing the Harem as a separate entity.

Also, we have one day in Istanbul. We tend to a quick pace for our sightseeing, little shopping, and a quick bite if we are starving. Is the following list manageable or are we crazy: Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Cistern, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar?

Thanks for your thoughts!

We are interested in visiting the Harem at the Topkapi Palace. Is there a separate entrance fee for this? The various private tours list the "treasury and weapons rooms" but nothing about seeing the Harem as a separate entity.

Also, we have one day in Istanbul. We tend to a quick pace for our sightseeing, little shopping, and a quick bite if we are starving. Is the following list manageable or are we crazy: Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Cistern, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar?

Hi

The fee for the Harem was an additional 15 TL. I would say you could do all those in a day, if you allow around 30 minutes from ship to Sultanahmet then :

90 minutes Topkapi/Harem

60-75 minutes Hagia Sophia

For those you'll have pre-bought tickets so won't have to worry about waiting to go in.

45 minutes Blue Mosque

assuming you don't hit prayer time. Check up when they are after you've been to HS and either go in if it's convenient or go to the Cistern and come back later.

30-60 minutes Basilica Cistern

You can't pre-book tix for this hence my variable guesstimate but once inside 15-20 minutes will suffice.

90 minutes Grand Bazaar

You'll have to travel a mile to this (by tram) and could spend any amount of there as it's so vast so it's hard to say how much time you can spend there or will want to.

15 minutes Spice Bazaar (features briefly at the end of that last one)

Then allow 30 minutes to get back to the ship

So all that adds up to around 8 hours. You will be able to adjust things as you feel necessary. To those who say my guesstimates are wrong forgive me, it was all done from memory based on last year's experience :) Good luck, Tony

No questions are stupid

I like yourself have been looking into what we can do within allocated time

I have been thinking along same sightseeing as yourself

If you look at Muze site you can pre purchase for topkapi palace with Harem and Hagia Sophia

What Cruise you doing?

Hi

The fee for the Harem was an additional 15 TL. I would say you could do all those in a day, if you allow around 30 minutes from ship to Sultanahmet then :

90 minutes Topkapi/Harem

60-75 minutes Hagia Sophia

For those you'll have pre-bought tickets so won't have to worry about waiting to go in.

45 minutes Blue Mosque

assuming you don't hit prayer time. Check up when they are after you've been to HS and either go in if it's convenient or go to the Cistern and come back later.

30-60 minutes Basilica Cistern

You can't pre-book tix for this hence my variable guesstimate but once inside 15-20 minutes will suffice.

90 minutes Grand Bazaar

You'll have to travel a mile to this (by tram) and could spend any amount of there as it's so vast so it's hard to say how much time you can spend there or will want to.

15 minutes Spice Bazaar (features briefly at the end of that last one)

Then allow 30 minutes to get back to the ship

So all that adds up to around 8 hours. You will be able to adjust things as you feel necessary. To those who say my guesstimates are wrong forgive me, it was all done from memory based on last year's experience :) Good luck, Tony

Tony

Fabulous pointers

Thank you:)

You'll basically be doing everything we did, PLUS the Topkapi Palace, which we skipped for time's sake (and heard from others it wasn't that great). I would say we had a very full day and may have returned to the ship an hour or two before departure, so if you have the stamina, you could probably try to do it all. Definitely pre-purchase the Hagia Sophia tickets online though to skip waiting in line. Fitting everything in may also mean that you won't have much time to peruse the Grand Bazaar or Spice Market, but we didn't find many compelling things to buy there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Great advice

It can vary widely, depending on how much you want to see at each location, but we probably spent about 45 minute at the Hagia Sophia, 45 min at Underground Cistern, 1.5 hrs in Grand Bazaar (though you could spend hours exploring and getting lost here), and 30 min at the Spice Market. Hope that helps!

Archived