Where to EAT in Westminster???

I have poured over these boards to try and plan a meal next month in London. We are eating one night at our hotel (Rubens at the Palace) at the Carvery (Good reviews on Trip Advisor) and we are looking for another eating spot the following night. We thought about just asking the concierge to recommend a good Pub, but we will be 5 days in Scotland before our 2 night stay in London, and will most likely have had our fill of "Pub" food...any recommendations for a good British restaurant. (we do not want to eat Indian, Asian, Italian etc) as we are going to be in Spain, Italy and France following Britain and like to eat local favorites (we can get Italian in Italy..lol). We looked at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant, as well as Gordon's Steakhouse, but we will be having red meat (Prime Rib of Beef) at the Carvery and would like to try and stay away from it the following night. Any suggestions from people who have had an extraordinary meal in London? We will have access to a car, so something outside of Westminster is fine too.

Gosh, you like to plan! I'm not entirely sure a forum about cruising is necessarily the best place to plan an "extraordinary meal in London", so I hope you are looking at some of the many websites dedicated to London's amazing culinary scene....

Of course, it's a very subjective topic. You have said what you don't want in terms of cuisine (and thereby ruling out many of London's finest favourite restaurants, by the way), but not much of what you do want. You say you are looking at "Gordon Ramsey's restaurant" - he has several in London, do you mean the Restaurant Gordon Ramsey in Royal Hospital Road (which is not in Westminster, but I wouldn't restrict yourself)? This is one of the finest restaurants in the world, with 3 Michelin stars, and correspondingly expensive. Can we take it you are "foodies" looking for a fine dining experience? I don't know "Gordon's Steakhouse" (and a quick search doesn't show a restaurant with that name in London), so can't comment on that.

Let me throw another couple of names into the mix, then - J Sheeky (a seafood restaurant, albeit primarily French style) or Rules, a very traditional 'British' restaurant in Covent Garden. Or for something a little bit different and more convenient for you hotel, London's famous Scottish restaurant, Boisdale of Belgravia. But give us a few more clues of what you want and like :)

Gosh, you like to plan! I'm not entirely sure a forum about cruising is necessarily the best place to plan an "extraordinary meal in London", so I hope you are looking at some of the many websites dedicated to London's amazing culinary scene....

Of course, it's a very subjective topic. You have said what you don't want in terms of cuisine (and thereby ruling out many of London's finest favourite restaurants, by the way), but not much of what you do want. You say you are looking at "Gordon Ramsey's restaurant" - he has several in London, do you mean the Restaurant Gordon Ramsey in Royal Hospital Road (which is not in Westminster, but I wouldn't restrict yourself)? This is one of the finest restaurants in the world, with 3 Michelin stars, and correspondingly expensive. Can we take it you are "foodies" looking for a fine dining experience? I don't know "Gordon's Steakhouse" (and a quick search doesn't show a restaurant with that name in London), so can't comment on that.

Let me throw another couple of names into the mix, then - J Sheeky (a seafood restaurant, albeit primarily French style) or Rules, a very traditional 'British' restaurant in Covent Garden. Or for something a little bit different and more convenient for you hotel, London's famous Scottish restaurant, Boisdale of Belgravia. But give us a few more clues of what you want and like :)

Lol...yes I am a Planner! I am planning a trip for myself, DH and my two sisters and their husbands. We are 8 days in Britain (5 in Scotland and 3 in London) and then flying to Barcelona for a 7 day Western Med Cruise. I have been designated the family planner, and this trip is over a year in the making. Our Mum passed a couple of years back, and her and my Dad were born and raised in Scotland and then moved to England before immigrating to Canada, so we are tracing their steps somewhat. I have probably spent a month solid (in hours) pouring over boards, websites, and travel blogs. I am of the age of no computers, so this has been a bit of a struggle. Wow, now I sound really old (we are all approaching the 50's lol)...my kids (in their 20's just laugh at me when I head off to the computer nearly every night after supper)....anyway, so that's a bit of background, and why I rely so heavily on these boards for answers.

I'm not really sure what type of food actually. We are "foodies" somewhat and enjoy a good meal, a nice glass of wine, but to be honest when I looked at the Gordon Ramsey's menu, I wasn't sure what half of it was...I am not much for the foo foo type caviar restaurant but, don't mind paying for a good meal. We are not fond of heavily spiced foods (such as Indian), but do like chicken, fish, etc. I guess what we are looking for is a restaurant that has a few options. I will have a look at Rules. I guess I was hoping there would be a list to chose from, from several different people saying "You must try XXX"

Try these, we can highly recommend them:-

Aspleys at the Lanesborough.

River Restaurant at the Savoy,

Corrigans of Mayfair,

Helen Darroze at the Connaught,.

Hix Chop & Oyster House, Greenhill Rents ..and

Rules, Covent Garden

I'm not really sure what type of food actually. We are "foodies" somewhat and enjoy a good meal, a nice glass of wine, but to be honest when I looked at the Gordon Ramsey's menu, I wasn't sure what half of it was...I am not much for the foo foo type caviar restaurant but, don't mind paying for a good meal. We are not fond of heavily spiced foods (such as Indian), but do like chicken, fish, etc. I guess what we are looking for is a restaurant that has a few options. I will have a look at Rules. I guess I was hoping there would be a list to chose from, from several different people saying "You must try XXX"

OK, thanks. To be clear, based on your mention of Restaurant Gordon Ramsey, many of the recommendations you are getting here are very high end restaurants, often with Michelin stars, which probably think of themselves as gastronomic experiences rather than a good meal and a glass of wine (and charge acordingly, I would think Gordon Ramsey will set you back around $1,000 for six). I know British food is a bit of a joke abroad, but we are talking about central London, one of the world's great cities. We have over 50 restaurants with Michelin stars, and I'm guessing some of them will fall within your definition of "foo foo type caviar restaurants"! I also wonder if you'll have difficulty making reservation for 6 at some of these places at this late stage.

Goodmans, on the other hand is an international chain, although no doubt of an excellent quality. If this is more what you are looking for, could I give another suggestion of Loch Fyne, a chain of seafood restaurants in the UK. There is one in Covent Garden, but I have never eaten at that particular one.

For other suggestions and reviews, why not look at something like Urban Spoon, http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/52/London-restaurants.html, or Square Meal, http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/ ?

You ought to ask your question on Chowhound.com -- the UK/Ireland Board to be specific. This is a site that only focuses on food issues.

Would not suggest Hix Chop & Oyster House - had a poor experience last time we went.

I like Wild Honey http://www.wildhoneyrestaurant.co.uk, Langtry's langtrysrestaurant.com, Andrew Edmunds (British with a twist) or Mildred's (veggie) in Lexington Street, Soho. If you want comfort food, try the Cork & Bottle thecorkandbottle.co.uk or Roast http://www.roast-restaurant.com/

Have a look at the reviews byMarina O'Loughlin on either of these sites. I've found that I tend to agree with her take on restaurants (esp those that value style over servicve or a decent meal) (http://marinaoloughlin.tumblr.com/ or http://www.london-eating.co.uk/critics/marina-oloughlin.htm)

Would not suggest Hix Chop & Oyster House - had a poor experience last time we went.

I like Wild Honey http://www.wildhoneyrestaurant.co.uk, Langtry's langtrysrestaurant.com, Andrew Edmunds (British with a twist) or Mildred's (veggie) in Lexington Street, Soho. If you want comfort food, try the Cork & Bottle thecorkandbottle.co.uk or Roast http://www.roast-restaurant.com/

Have a look at the reviews byMarina O'Loughlin on either of these sites. I've found that I tend to agree with her take on restaurants (esp those that value style over servicve or a decent meal) (http://marinaoloughlin.tumblr.com/ or http://www.london-eating.co.uk/critics/marina-oloughlin.htm)

Thank you...it's always better to get recommendations from a local. Anything we should "NOT MISS" as far as sites, shopping etc go? (We are staying at the Rubens at the Palace)

Thank you...it's always better to get recommendations from a local. Anything we should "NOT MISS" as far as sites, shopping etc go? (We are staying at the Rubens at the Palace)

That so much depends on what interests you. Churches etc. (loads); History (what period? Roman to Norman to Tudor to Victorian to WW2 to 60s?); Art (galleries aplenty); Shops (more than you can shake a stick at but what type?)

We need some specifics to make any useful recommendations.

There are hundreds of these type of recommendations on the London Forum on Tripadvisor. You could also look on www.toptable.co.uk I book lots of restaurants through them.

If you want something typically British I think you will have difficulty finding it in Westminster as it is not an area that Londoner's would choose to go out in, except for an after work drink.

There are some good pub food places in the City or Clerkenwell which is quite accessible by bus or tube from Victoria.

:D

Try these, we can highly recommend them:-

Aspleys at the Lanesborough.

River Restaurant at the Savoy,

Corrigans of Mayfair,

Helen Darroze at the Connaught,.

Hix Chop & Oyster House, Greenhill Rents ..and

Rules, Covent Garden

thanks

Archived