Bahia Mar vs Hilton Marina vs Gallery One??

Beth & Rob

I apologize for posting this question in response to another question in a previous thread...

I'm looking at April (already said that before and thanks for the guidance)....now just deciding about when to come in from L.A. If we come late Thursday we get in at 6AM.. then have to spend till 3 trapsing around killing time before getting into hotel. If we come Friday...we will get in at 11:30PM... At least then we would go right to hotel, get a good night sleep and be able to have a nice day on Sat. (we board Sun)

Coordinating with 2 others so waiting their thoughts but we are 5 ladies over 45....and would like shopping and water and nice food and decent hotel, but not real pricey.

Looking at Bahia Mar, Hilton Marina, Gallery One. Thoughts?

We will also stay Sunday night so should we stay back where we started or try a lesser $$ hotel for just the one night. Staying over Sunday since the Monday airfares are so much less.

Also..... can someone explain the water taxi. Thanks much

Arriving late on Friday would get my vote; 1st. choice = Hilton Marina Hotel is right on the water taxi route and close to the port (Doubletree Galleria is pretty far from the port but also on the water taxi route). Bahia Mar is closest to the beach.

Water taxi is supported by Fll tourism but does have a fee; it is like a bus with several marked stops. You can get off go walk, eat, drink, dine etc. and return to the "stop" and return to your origination for the one all day price. However, if it is late at night, you might wish to take a real taxi cab. If you go to sunny.org, you may find further info about the system and the route with schedule.

The water taxi costs $20/day or $10 after 5 PM. Seniors 65+ pay $17. It runs from about 10 AM to 11 PM and takes 3 hours to do the whole route. You can hop on/hop off or just stay on for the whole trip. It rides up and down both the Intracoastal and New River. You will get an amuzing guided tour while on the boat.

Gallery One would be my first choice. It is a nice hotel and has its own water taxi stop. It even has a cute little beach on the intracoastal. It has Starbucks in the lobby and there is a big Starbucks across the street. Publix across the street sells mosts wines and champagne. Galleria Mall is a half block away and has everything from Macy's to Neiman Marcus. It's all indoors, so if it rains you'll have something to do. Nicer restaurants on the block are Trulucks, Texas de Brazil, and Capital Grill, as well as Seasons52, PF Changs, Blue Martini bar, Franco & Vinnie's, Burger Fi, and La Cantina. The beach is a couple of blocks away, or you can ride to Beach Place about 1.5 miles away where you will find restaurants and public restrooms.

If you mainly want to be at the beach, then Hilton or Bahia Mar would be good. The Hilton is the furthest from a water taxi stop, about 6 blocks.

All 3 hotels are on the Sun Trolley and #40 bus lines, which go from Galleria Mall along the beachfront to 17th St.

I apologize for posting this question in response to another question in a previous thread...

I'm looking at April (already said that before and thanks for the guidance)....now just deciding about when to come in from L.A. If we come late Thursday we get in at 6AM.. then have to spend till 3 trapsing around killing time before getting into hotel. If we come Friday...we will get in at 11:30PM... At least then we would go right to hotel, get a good night sleep and be able to have a nice day on Sat. (we board Sun)

Coordinating with 2 others so waiting their thoughts but we are 5 ladies over 45....and would like shopping and water and nice food and decent hotel, but not real pricey.

Looking at Bahia Mar, Hilton Marina, Gallery One. Thoughts?

We will also stay Sunday night so should we stay back where we started or try a lesser $$ hotel for just the one night. Staying over Sunday since the Monday airfares are so much less.

Also..... can someone explain the water taxi. Thanks much

I would arrive Thursday at 6:00 AM.

If you arrive at 11:30 PM until you get your luggage it will be midnight and then later till you get to the hotel and then if you factor in the three hour time zone difference it is 3:00 AM or later on your time clock.

If you arrive at 6:00 AM you can sleep a little on the plane and then go to the hotel and if you can't check in they could hold your luggage and you can have breakfast at the hotel and then do things around the area. Then you have time to get over the time zone change by the time you board the ship on Sunday. To me it makes for a more relaxing cruise.

Keith

I agree, I would fly in on Thursday morning, get to the hotel, see if they can check you in early . . . if not, they will hold your bags. Knock out the Water Taxi that day.

Hotel wise it all depends on your budget but there are several worthy options in the area. Gallery One is real nice, but also quite expensive and a bit longer from the airport/Port.

Archived