Deluxe Owner Suite on the Dawn?

osterbound

It seems like this suite is all about the view. The room it self does not seem to well thought out or luxurious? I have the one bedroom booked for my 20th anniversary and wonder if we might like another suite better. Any feedback ?:)

We were in a 2 BR DOS and loved it. I have been to a cocktail party in the one BR and loved it, too. For me the big deal is the high ceilings, the highest in the ship (deck 12) and since then when I was in a regular suite it seemed cramped.

The extra booze and soda is nice. The priority seating, etc.

I also LOVE the giant bathroom!

That said, the two balcony OS are very nice, great bath, etc. Same perks. If you ADORE a balcony then they are the way to go.

For us it was fine to just take a brief walk to the pool or one flight up to deck 13, a great 'balcony!'

Enjoy your cruise.

We were in a 2 BR DOS and loved it. I have been to a cocktail party in the one BR and loved it, too. For me the big deal is the high ceilings, the highest in the ship (deck 12) and since then when I was in a regular suite it seemed cramped.

The extra booze and soda is nice. The priority seating, etc.

I also LOVE the giant bathroom!

That said, the two balcony OS are very nice, great bath, etc. Same perks. If you ADORE a balcony then they are the way to go.

For us it was fine to just take a brief walk to the pool or one flight up to deck 13, a great 'balcony!'

Enjoy your cruise.

thanks .. we are going from Quebec to Boston in Oct. so the balcony is no big deal..it just the the suite seems a little sparse compared to the the suites. Would you switch ?

It seems like this suite is all about the view. The room it self does not seem to well thought out or luxurious? I have the one bedroom booked for my 20th anniversary and wonder if we might like another suite better. Any feedback ?:)

on the Star we stayed in 12002 on the 12 day Tampa to New York Repo Cruise last April and I had to go through counceling when we got home because of having to leave that room...you will have the view of half of the whole front of the ship along with the jutt out on the side with a table and 4 chairs that you can look back the whole length of the ship....in the morning you wake to an ocean view that can't be real....first thing we asked the Stuard when we got in the room was NEVER close those drapes at any time.......we spent more time in our room on that cruise than all our other cruises combined.....while in port and at sea we people watched and entertained with an open door policy....we litterly proped the door open so people could just walk in...sometimes we had as high as 30 people visiting....our next door neighbors became life long friends and we have the same Repo Cruise booked for next April with them altho we have the SJ suites booked side by side and in hopes to move up to the DOS before cruise time....I sure do miss that room...it was a once in a lifetime deal...the stars all ligned up and we were able to experiance the cruise of a lifetime.....so my advise would be go for it............:D

Steve, thank you for that wonderful post! We will be in the deluxe owner's suite #12500 on the Dawn in September, and your post has made me giddy with anticipation! I am a little disappointed that we won't have a balcony, but I'm hoping that the view will more than make up for it. Thanks for convincing me that we haven't made a mistake booking that room!

Kathy

We were in 12002 on the Star. The ones on the Dawn are a bit better with the powered drapes and better furniture although no DVD player in master bedroom apparently. These rooms are very new and if you don't want the balcony and for that trip this will be a great room. As VV said, you have the high ceilings and the pool is just down the hall. The side two with the jut have great views along the sides.

Steve, thank you for that wonderful post! We will be in the deluxe owner's suite #12500 on the Dawn in September, and your post has made me giddy with anticipation! I am a little disappointed that we won't have a balcony, but I'm hoping that the view will more than make up for it. Thanks for convincing me that we haven't made a mistake booking that room!

Kathy

you are so very welcome Kathy....I have so many more good things to say about that room...our dear friends Claire and George were in 12000 and that room is equally as nice with two bedrooms and two bathrooms....the 3 free bottles of booz and free soda and water certainly help the cruise experiance....here are a couple videos of the Star DOS 12002 and 12000...from the pics I've seen the Dawn DOS are a bit differently decorated but the exact same layouts....just down the hall and up one deck is the outside decks or straight back down the hall just beyond the elevators is the pool deck...all very close.....we did not miss the balcony one bit....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKG-hrqwD6U

Kathy

I just noticed you are from Brewer....we're a couple hours down east of you......actually we were in Bangor today......

you are so very welcome Kathy....I have so many more good things to say about that room...our dear friends Claire and George were in 12000 and that room is equally as nice with two bedrooms and two bathrooms....the 3 free bottles of booz and free soda and water certainly help the cruise experiance....here are a couple videos of the Star DOS 12002 and 12000...from the pics I've seen the Dawn DOS are a bit differently decorated but the exact same layouts....just down the hall and up one deck is the outside decks or straight back down the hall just beyond the elevators is the pool deck...all very close.....we did not miss the balcony one bit....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKG-hrqwD6U

Great videos! Now I am super excited. Thank you for helping me realize I made the right choice! :)

I just noticed you are from Brewer....we're a couple hours down east of you......actually we were in Bangor today......

Where are you located? We were in Bangor today, too - shopping for cruise stuff! Maybe our paths crossed!

we're from Addison / Jonesport...we were at the Mall and JC Penney and the Christmas Tree Shop.....I got 4 cruise T Shirts....

We were at the mall and JC Penney too, in addition to almost every other store in the Bangor area :) We had a nice day, but couldn't believe how busy the stores were. Back to school time, I guess.

We were at the mall and JC Penney too, in addition to almost every other store in the Bangor area :) We had a nice day, but couldn't believe how busy the stores were. Back to school time, I guess.

Everywhere we went in Bangor was busy, I think the weather might have sent more people to the Mall. It's always fun to go cruise shopping, and much easier than doing it on-line.

If you want to chat, Steve (Paradise Sailor) and I have our own section here at Cruise Critic...for our off topic chatter. Stop by http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=735

Margaret :)

yes it was quite busy everywhere......we were in JCP from 10:30 to about 11:00.....then we both went to Master Cuts...I got done sooner so went to Spencers...what a rush that was...they moved the whole store to the opposite side of the mall brick storefront and all...

We sailed in a one bedroom OS (#9506) on the Dawn and loved it. Tons of space, separate bedroom, bathroom, and living room, and best of all: two balconies.

Not sure why you'd say the room doesn't seem well thought out or luxurious. It was certainly more luxurious than any penthouse suite we've ever had, and and felt more spacious than our 2 bedroom haven suite on the Epic. The layout was excellent, with the bedroom able to be closed off completely from the living room, a spacious two sink bathroom with separate shower and tub, and a large dressing area. The half bath in the living area was a bonus.

Having the two balconies was simply fantastic. The few times the forward balcony was too windy, the side balcony was fine. Better views of ports, docking, and the "runners" from the side balcony, with the expansive "you're on a private yacht" views from the forward balcony...the best of both worlds.

Would take one again in a second if the budget allowed it!

We sailed in a one bedroom OS (#9506) on the Dawn and loved it. Tons of space, separate bedroom, bathroom, and living room, and best of all: two balconies.

Not sure why you'd say the room doesn't seem well thought out or luxurious. It was certainly more luxurious than any penthouse suite we've ever had, and and felt more spacious than our 2 bedroom haven suite on the Epic. The layout was excellent, with the bedroom able to be closed off completely from the living room, a spacious two sink bathroom with separate shower and tub, and a large dressing area. The half bath in the living area was a bonus.

Having the two balconies was simply fantastic. The few times the forward balcony was too windy, the side balcony was fine. Better views of ports, docking, and the "runners" from the side balcony, with the expansive "you're on a private yacht" views from the forward balcony...the best of both worlds.

Would take one again in a second if the budget allowed it!

They are asking about the DOS on 12.

I posted a video of 12002 a little while ago -

:)

the view looks amazing but room is pretty plain...:confused:

I think I know what you mean. The decor of the SC suite on the Dawn compared to the more modern look of the Family suite on deck 12 took some adjusting to at first. I actually found it brighter once I got used to it. The wall of windows helped.

I have only toured these suites. I have not spent a week in them yet. But, If I had a choice of the Owners Suite (Deck 9 or 10) or the Deluxe Owners suite I would chose the owner's suite. The Balconies are nice, offer amazing views. The side Balcony is protected too and has a table and chairs. Either would be excellent for us but I give the edge to the Owner's Suite.

Archived