Pre-Cruise Hotel Option

raerom

If I book a pre-cruise hotel option and I am using Oceania air will they automatically arrange my flight to accomadate booking a pre-cruise hotel or will I need to request air deviation?

The flights are arranged to include the hotel stay. :D

Are you booking the hotel through Oceania? If so they will book the air to include it but if you are booking the hotel yourself I think you'll have to ask for an air deviation. At least that's what happened to my friends.

Yes, well if the hotel were not booked through Oceania, then how could they be expected to know about it?

Besides, if you book a hotel privately, then you don't call it a pre-cruise option.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes air and hotel will be booked with Oceania.

Are transfers to hotel included or is this an extra fee?

Transfers and porterage are included to and from the hotel and ship. :D

-That is, they are when you book the Hotel Package.

Just remember you are probably paying twice what you would if you booked the hotel separately as Oceania (like all cruise lines) charges per person, not per room. Even if you factor in the cost of transfers it comes out much more expensive.

The air deviation and the transfers are included and that is how Oceania justifies the high cost. I got sucked into doing this on our cruise this spring and it was the one regret I had. The hotel, while lovely, was very inconvenient and the transfers were also not really to our liking but no real options by the time I realized these issues. Take a close look at the hotels and their location. For example our hotel in Barcelona was not near ANY restaurants - was a $15 cab ride to get anywhere.

I had the same experience in Athens last September. Oceania booked us at a hotel about a good 1/2 hour/45 minutes by public transportation from the downtown/Parthenon area. Not a bad hotel, but not convenient at all and very expensive. They didn't provide transport from airport to hotel, but did provide transport from hotel to ship, so you may want to double check that too. Luckily the hotel provided free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel.

Going to Lisbon and ending in Rome this year - the hotel Oceania offered in Lisbon was in the business district, not the center of town and the hotel in Rome was also out of the way - both were VERY expensive (Oceania charged per person for the hotel last year - not sure if they are still doing that). I ended up paying for the air deviation (staying 2 nights on both ends) and booked my own hotels convenient to the tourist attractions. You may want to ask your TA for suggestions. I am paying for my own transports from airport to hotel, hotel to port and hotel to airport but this is not far both in Lisbon and in Rome so the prices were very reasonable - much cheaper than Oceania's transports.

Like shore excursions, this is another enormous profit center for the cruise line.

The per person hotel charge and the per person transfer charge is a huge multiple of what you can do on your own.

On our last O cruise, O was charging hundreds of dollars for a transfer from Copenhagen cruise port to the airport. A taxi cost $35.

Beware!!

Like shore excursions, this is another enormous profit center for the cruise line.

The per person hotel charge and the per person transfer charge is a huge multiple of what you can do on your own.

On our last O cruise, O was charging hundreds of dollars for a transfer from Copenhagen cruise port to the airport. A taxi cost $35.

Beware!!

To some people the comfort is having Oceania taking the luggage from the airport and knowing the bus is from Oceania..a lot of people dont want to have to walk through the airport with luggage and look for a taxi in a foreign country..each person must do what makes them comfortable..

Jancruz1

You can book a private car and driver who will meet you with a sign bearing your name, transfer you to the hotel and then to the ship and still come out way ahead. Even if one is uncomfortable arriving in a foreign city this should work. Plus you will get a better hotel in a better location if you have your TA book separately.

You can book a private car and driver who will meet you with a sign bearing your name, transfer you to the hotel and then to the ship and still come out way ahead. Even if one is uncomfortable arriving in a foreign city this should work. Plus you will get a better hotel in a better location if you have your TA book separately.

Never try to make sense of the idiosyncrasies of the lazy, or the uninformed Wripro.

132311.jpg

Some of these people won't even be sure which city they are IN-

Archived