red velvet cake!

I know what you mean. With all the gushing, I keep wondering what is wrong with me -- and I have to admit it looks good. And I am told DW makes a great one. But every time I try it, I just don't get it. I agree with you I find it bland, unappealing and dry. If I was blindfolded, and tasted red velvet next to an ordinary chocolate cake. I suspect the only way I could tell them apart is that the red velvet has less chocolate and is drier.

A Red Velvet cake IS a chocolate cake with red food coloring added to it...the only thing different is the color..

In January, I will be on Explorer. Even though Chops is not on board, the Viking Crown Lounge would still have Red Velvet Cake? Anyone know if it's the same quality? Thank you!

P.S. This makes my wife and I very happy. Tried Chops for the first time on Allure back in March and loved everything about it (especially the RV cake)

Red Velvet cake is a yellow cake base..a bit of cocoa powder and red food coloring.

If it is made with buttermilk it can be very moist.:)

It can be made that way also. There are numerous variations.

A Red Velvet cake IS a chocolate cake with red food coloring added to it...the only thing different is the color..

I will defer to the cooks among us, but I don't think that is correct. I think the typical red velvet cake has much less cocoa or other chocolate than an ordinary chocolate cake. Not sure how you could get a chocolate cake to be red just by adding food coloring.

Anyway, the ones I have tasted don't taste chocolate. In fact, I have found they don't have much of a flavor at all. It is the one cake DW makes that I don't even care for the batter.

That´s right, I found many different ways to make a red velvet. I made super yummy cupcakes, they were incredible moist and very much "velvet", I put cooked and mashed beetroot into the cupcake dough, that sound very strange and not so tasty but you don´t taste the beetroot after the baking and it gives the cupcakes this velvet feeling and the moist. And a little bit of red, my cupcakes were deep redbrown, for the real shiny red I think you need very much food color.

Sorry for going a little bit offtopic....:Dbut I love cakes!

I will defer to the cooks among us, but I don't think that is correct. I think the typical red velvet cake has much less cocoa or other chocolate than an ordinary chocolate cake. Not sure how you could get a chocolate cake to be red just by adding food coloring.

Anyway, the ones I have tasted don't taste chocolate. In fact, I have found they don't have much of a flavor at all. It is the one cake DW makes that I don't even care for the batter.

It is red from the food coloring - vast amounts of red food coloring. It is minimally a chocolate cake. It has only one or two tablespoons of cocoa powder for the chocolate.

It is red from the food coloring - vast amounts of red food coloring. It is minimally a chocolate cake. It has only one or two tablespoons of cocoa powder for the chocolate.
That's exactly my point -- "minimally chocolate." 1-2 Tbsp cocoa compared to 3/4 cup to a whole cup for chocolate cake [from a brief review of recipes available on the web]. At 16 Tbsp per cup, that's a big difference. I think if you made an ordinary chocolate cake [that would normally be a fairly dark brown] you could add a lot of food coloring and still not get a red cake. Not being an expert, I will defer again to our cooks and perhaps our artists with regard to color mixing. Anyway, I have always admitted it looks good. I simply don't find it particularly flavorful.

That's exactly my point -- "minimally chocolate." 1-2 Tbsp cocoa compared to 3/4 cup to a whole cup for chocolate cake [from a brief review of recipes available on the web]. At 16 Tbsp per cup, that's a big difference. I think if you made an ordinary chocolate cake [that would normally be a fairly dark brown] you could add a lot of food coloring and still not get a red cake. Not being an expert, I will defer again to our cooks and perhaps our artists with regard to color mixing. Anyway, I have always admitted it looks good. I simply don't find it particularly flavorful.

I will buy it for my husband from a local bakery - he thinks it's wonderful. The one time I tried to make one, I couldn't force myself to use the little amount of cocoa the recipe required nor the huge amount of red food coloring - the verdict from DH? Not as good as the bakery. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
In January, I will be on Explorer. Even though Chops is not on board, the Viking Crown Lounge would still have Red Velvet Cake? Anyone know if it's the same quality? Thank you!

Sorry to bump, anyone have an answer? Thanks so much!

RV cake can be made lots of ways. But, the original scratch recipes call for 2 oz of red food coloring (that is a whole bottle) and both buttermilk and vinegar. The mixture of these last 2 items adds a nice texture. Most recipes call for 2-3 tbs of cocoa powder. That is a pretty chocolate cake.

The trouble starts when people use a mix and just doctor it up.

The Waldorf Astoria is famous for this cake.

Red Velvet Cake!!!!!!! Does anybody know if it´s served also on the Oasis? In Chops Grill also? I´m 2 weeks in october on the Oasis and this is the desert I wanna see....:D

I totally mad about Red Velvet Cake even I´m from Germany. I baked Red Velvet Cupcakes last week, they were very yummy and tasty but not really red.....

Usually they use food color to make red velvet cake more red....

Wendy (from Germany too - and I do not like coloured food...)

PS: Have you seen this nice article about red velvet cake:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_velvet_cake

• 1 month later...
LOL. Apparently I may be the only person in the world who finds red velvet cake bland and unappealing.
Nope, I'm with you. Since I clicked on a thread about a food for which I don't care, I am clearly trying very hard to avoid my school work.

I used to bake cakes professionally -- might go back to it one day after I retire from teaching. Anyway, I really do know cakes backwards and forwards. I'm also Southern, so I hail from the land of Red Velvet cake, and many brides request this Southern favorite.

A Red Velvet cake IS INDEED a chocolate cake with a whole large bottle of red food coloring. You may find a recipe out there that starts with a yellow cake mix, but it will be a variation on Red Velvet -- not the real McCoy. Keep in mind, however, that chocolate cakes vary widely. Red Velvet is a subtle chocolate made with plain sweet cocoa. Because it's sort of a "hint of chocolate" type of taste, it isn't super-dark in color like a fudge chocolate cake would be, and that allows the red food coloring to do its work. The chocolate cake that becomes Red Velvet is more of a "Devil's Food lite" -- and I personally find Devil's Food a little bland. Red Velvet is always a bit dry as well. Done poorly, it can have a touch of bitterness; to avoid this, I always use a top-quality food color that I buy (by the case) from a secret source).

Like many people, I prefer a true chocolate cake with deep, real chocolate flavor. I much prefer Dutch processed cocoa, which gives a more complex, truer chocolate flavor. And my favorite chocolate cake recipes all use buttermilk, which adds just a bit of a sour-y twang to the taste and adds moisture.

One of my best-selling wedding cakes -- back when I did cakes every weekend -- used to be my White Velvet cake. I invented the recipe myself, and it's a play on Red Velvet -- it uses the same proportions of flour, sugar, eggs and butter. Like Red Velvet, it has a dense texture, a lovely crumb somewhat similar to a light pound cake, and a subtle taste -- and I cure much of the dryness with buttermilk, but it's still not a cake that can be described as moist. I use real vanilla beans in my mix, which throws in a nice look, and the vanilla hits you with just a bit of a delayed reaction, which I personally like a great deal.

As for icing, Red Velvet is always paired with cream cheese icing, which I adore, but which doesn't do well for wedding cakes.

I am with you on this one. Add dry to the mix.

However, I am going on Allure in September and will be dining at Chops the first night, and given the overwhelming number of people here who find red velvet cake awesome, I will give it another shot. I am a cake lover but maybe I am missing something.

Give it another shot !!!

I have always said I don't like it but I just sailed Freedom and tried it in Chops. It was gorgeousssssss !!!!!

thank you for your post, I just googled, there is Dunkin Hines cake mix even in Germany, I have to order it in special US-product Shops. But mostly they have high shipping costs and so I have to buy some more items....I will see, perhaps I order grape soda and Reeses....:D

But I looking forward to have such a beautiful, yummy, delicous looking piece of cake on a beautiful ship.

Just remembering, in the Cupcake Cupboard on the Freedom, they have red velvet cupcakes....mhhh....

Have you looked at buying things state side and shipping them home? Not sure if it would be cheaper for you then ordering them when you are at home in Germany.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise and enjoy your cake. :D

Give it another shot !!!

I have always said I don't like it but I just sailed Freedom and tried it in Chops. It was gorgeousssssss !!!!!

I am pleased to report I gave it another shot and was pleased. We did as many suggested and took what was leftover back to our cabin and I found it was even better when closer to room temperature.

No more red velvet cake criticism from me anymore!

I tried it for the first time just over a week ago. I was too full to enjoy it really so just picked at it. The actual cake wasn't that flavoursome but I like cream cheese frosting so that's what sealed the deal for me. No-one else could manage a dessert but the waiter insisted on bringing a creme brulee to put in the middle for everyone to share :rolleyes:

Give it another shot !!!

Never denied it looks nice. Just don't think it has much flavor. Anyway, I am inherently suspicious of a dessert that has copious amounts of food coloring as its principal ingredient.

i am the op!!!

just back from my cruise on splendour yesterday and the red velvet cake was so delicious that on the last night we went to the viking lounge and ordered it again(hangs head in shame!!)

may have overdosed on it now though - could hardly finish it ;0

Archived