Electric Car Tour of Key West

kristicruise

Good Afternoon, can someone suggest a route for an electric car tour of the island? I went on the trolley tour last time in Key West and would like to spend some time at some of the various sites we went by. Please Conch Republic members help! Thanks

There is major road construction in Key West right now that will last 2 years, so it's important to know you can only go one way on KWs busiest road, North Roosevelt Blvd. You can only drive west, which is inbound.

I recommend heading south on one of 3 streets......Whitehead, Duval, or Simonton. Actually, you can zip zag down and up these 3 streets as they are only 1.3 miles from north to south.

Head east on South St, south on Reynolds, then east on Atlantic. Here, you can visit Higgs Beach and the West Martello Tower.

Then keep heading east on Atlantic, south on Bertha, then east on South Roosevelt Blvd. This is the location of Smathers Beach and the prettiest drive on the island.

You can then follow the road around to N Roosevelt and keep going until you hit Winsdor Ln. From there, turn right and go visit the cemetery. After that, I recommend touring the small lanes and alleys.

One important thing to remember.....electric cars are illegal outside of Key West due to higher speed limits. Do not turn out of KW on US1.

Good luck mapping your trip and if you have any questions, please ask.

This is a route around Key West with mile markers...

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=338344

The 2 mile mark is just past the White Street pier and where the West Martello tower is. The three mile marker is on the sidewalk that runs next to the sea-wall on Smathers, and through mile marker four is where you get the best vires of the ocean. It's just across form the airport. I don't find anything past that too interesting except for the East Martello tower. Substitute Whitehead for Duval and you will pass the southernmost bouy without adding to the milage.

Pjk

• 2 months later...

we rented a car last time we went. It took over an hour to finally get one and then it was very hard to find a place to park it. It was in July and very hot so that might have been part of the problem. We are just doing one of the on and off tours this time.

Archived