Rome - Which train stop is nearest The Pantheon?

Red Hat Cruise Cat

There's physical distance, and then there is ease of movement.

The Pantheon, Piazza della Rotonda, is 2.0 miles from the Roma Trastevere station but it is easy to cover the distance using the #8 tram. You get the tram in the street in front of the train station (direction Argentina) and take it to the end. The Pantheon is about a third of a mile further north.

The San Pietro station is closer at 1.6 miles, but not as easy to access (in my opinion, anyway). From the San Pietro station you'd take the #64 bus to Largo Argentina, and walk two blocks north (about 0.2 miles).

Termini is physically the closest at 1.5 miles, but the time it takes to get there (this is the last Rome station on the train line from Civitavecchia) eats up any benefit of being closer. From Termini you would take any number of buses to Largo Argentina and walk two blocks north.

You can find maps of Rome here: http://chartaroma.com/

Edited by euro cruiser

As Euro_cruser points out, the Pantheon, like many monuments of Ancient Rome, are all some distance from any of the train stations in Rome. You'll need to plan a walking route from one of the stations he mentions that best meets your needs. So, you're definitely on the right track to start by studying a map.

There's a map in post #6 of this thread which incorporates a bunch of stuff I learned both here and with first-hand experience on how to get the most out of a day in Rome...

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518706

There's physical distance, and then there is ease of movement.

The Pantheon, Piazza della Rotonda, is 2.0 miles from the Roma Trastevere station but it is easy to cover the distance using the #8 tram. You get the tram in the street in front of the train station (direction Argentina) and take it to the end. The Pantheon is about a third of a mile further north.

The San Pietro station is closer at 1.6 miles, but not as easy to access (in my opinion, anyway). From the San Pietro station you'd take the #64 bus to Largo Argentina, and walk two blocks north (about 0.2 miles).

Termini is physically the closest at 1.5 miles, but the time it takes to get there (this is the last Rome station on the train line from Civitavecchia) eats up any benefit of being closer. From Termini you would take any number of buses to Largo Argentina and walk two blocks north.

You can find maps of Rome here: http://chartaroma.com/

THANKS!!!!

We'll take the train to Roma Trastevere station and hop on #8 tram.

THANKS!!!!

Buy a BIRG ticket in Civitavecchia (regional transit pass), and it will cover the train and the tram. I beleive the price just went up to €12, but it's a great deal. Trains/Metro/Buses/Tram. You can get them at the ticket booth, or the news stand at the station

• 1 year later...
THANKS!!!!

Hi Sue hope you and Sandy are ok, its Sue from the s.a cruise I have been sending emails to Sandy but now coming back as failed.can you email me plse squirrel369athotmaildotcom. thanks:)

Both of these threads make a good point, which is this -- if your money is protected in a money belt or pouch secreted somewhere, pickpocketers can't get at it.

I've read this board for years and I've heard it all. People think money is safe in a bag as long as you carry it cross body or under your arm. It isn't.

People think carrying a wallet in a front pocket or a zipped cargo pocket is safe. It isn't.

Take the advice of the experts (like Rick Steves and many, many others) and make your money -- and your passport if you HAVE to carry it -- inaccessible, whether you're riding the bus in Rome, the train in Naples or the subway in Athens.