When to change tips os S&S?

dvdkndy

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?

Sorry - no I can't respect that

Why not call or e-mail Carnival directly ? You have to know asking the question here will not end good. You may even be perceived as cheap and trying to avoid tipping. By the way do you plan on tracking down all the people who served you at the buffet so you can tip them in person ?

There are so many people that do things for you that you never see/know about.

wasiii

Um, if I don't notice their service, how can I tip?

Honestly, tipping has gotten WAY out of hand.

no pun intended.

I would suggest removing them whenever the line to guest services is shortest :)

BTW, while I pre-pay my tips (and usually tip extra), I agree that tipping is way out of hand in the U.S. and on cruise ships. I would far rather the companies pay their employees fairly, building it into their prices, than have to figure out the whole tipping thing. It seems everywhere I go, from restaurants, to gas stations, to fast food restaurants, coffee shops, they all have tip jars. It's ridiculous when they're certainly not doing anything to warrant a tip, IMO. It's not my fault, nor should it be my problem, that these companies are in effect having us pay their employee's wages, instead of doing it themselves.

However, since tipping is the custom here, I do tip, even if resentfully. I tip based on level of service and I'm not ashamed to admit it, if the service is sub-par (on the server's part), then they're not getting a tip. If it's average to above average, I'm an average to way above average tipper. If service on Carnival was sub-par, I'd remove that person's tip. If it goes above and beyond my expectations, I'll tip extra.

I'd rather not tip at all, though.

An honest question~ if you never saw your room steward would you not tip him/her, even if your cabin was cleaned every day? There have been a few cruises where I never saw my cabin steward but my room still got cleaned~ I never see the person who cooks most of my meals, or wash the dishes I use every day, or the people who wash the sheets I sleep on every night or towels I use every day~to name a few people do they not deserve a tip just because I don't see them?

Again this is an honest question and I am not trying to be rude. :)

I am curious and maybe someone can explain. There use to be envelopes in your room to tip the steward, waiter, maitre D, etc, etc, but I never saw an envelope for tipping the bus boy, the buffet food putter outer, etc etc.

Now, everyone says these auto tips are spread out amongst everyone, so does that mean in the days of no envelope for these "other" folks, that these other folks made thier living per an hourly wage? If these other folks made their living per an hourly wage, does that mean Carnival has reduced that wage because tips are being destributed to them too now? If Carnival has not reduced their hourly wage and tips are now being destributed to these other folks, I wonder how much more they are making a year now than they were in the days of envelopes?

I do not care either way because I just done some serious math comparing a Myrtle Beach trip to a Carnival cruise (more on that later) but I am curious about this.

An honest question~ if you never saw your room steward would you not tip him/her, even if your cabin was cleaned every day? There have been a few cruises where I never saw my cabin steward but my room still got cleaned~ I never see the person who cooks most of my meals, or wash the dishes I use every day, or the people who wash the sheets I sleep on every night or towels I use every day~to name a few people do they not deserve a tip just because I don't see them?

you don't have to see him do his job to see the results of him doing his job. but you certainly know who's doing it, and it's not the keebler elves.

I would suggest removing them whenever the line to guest services is shortest :)

BTW, while I pre-pay my tips (and usually tip extra), I agree that tipping is way out of hand in the U.S. and on cruise ships. I would far rather the companies pay their employees fairly, building it into their prices, than have to figure out the whole tipping thing. It seems everywhere I go, from restaurants, to gas stations, to fast food restaurants, coffee shops, they all have tip jars. It's ridiculous when they're certainly not doing anything to warrant a tip, IMO. It's not my fault, nor should it be my problem, that these companies are in effect having us pay their employee's wages, instead of doing it themselves.

However, since tipping is the custom here, I do tip, even if resentfully. I tip based on level of service and I'm not ashamed to admit it, if the service is sub-par (on the server's part), then they're not getting a tip. If it's average to above average, I'm an average to way above average tipper. If service on Carnival was sub-par, I'd remove that person's tip. If it goes above and beyond my expectations, I'll tip extra.

I'd rather not tip at all, though.

Gratuities are a part of cruising and everyone knows this

May I suggest camping

The cabin steward ninjas should get extra pay lol :)

I think day 2 is the day you can remove after 10pm if I am not mistaken.

Archived